Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 96/24 files from PMD-671--won't open in Vegas etc...  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Weirdness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
96/24 files from PMD-671--won't open in Vegas etc...
« on: October 22, 2008, 12:06:20 PM »
Howdy all!
     I have recently started to do all of my recordings in 96/24 on my Marantz PMD-671.  When I double click on the files, they will not open on Windows Media Player and if I try to open them up in Vegas or Soundforge, they will not open up.  That being said, if I open them in CD wave editor, they will open and I can split the tracks and re-save them no problem but after I split them they still don't seem to want to open up in Vegas or Soundforge.  I'm quite sure that the deck is set up for pcm 96/24 and the files are .wav so I really haven't a clue what the issue is.  If anyone can shed some light on this I would really appreciate it. 

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 96/24 files from PMD-671--won't open in Vegas etc...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 03:47:47 PM »
i can only help a little. wmp will certainly not play 24/96 files. most audio editors will not open files >4gb. cdwav will open them, obviously. as to why thy wont open after being broken into smaller files, i cant help. i use wavelab5 exclusively. try audacity. its free (i think) and popular here.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline brownm84

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 04:31:37 PM »
As stated WMP won't play anything other than 16/44.1.  I'm not familiar with soundforge but with Audacity (the program I use b/c its free) I had to go to options and set the default to be 24 bit otherwise it reads it as another bit size/sample rate.  Than I set the default export to be 16/44.1 so when I export as wav after dithering and resampling it is exporting in the right format and ready to go into flac.  Otherwise I would do all that work and it would export as the wrong format.  Hope this can help.

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 07:28:20 PM »
OK, thanks I'll give Audacity a try.  I also have matrix copies of the same shows which were done on an R4 and they open in Vegas no problem which was confusing to me as well.  That being said, the R4 cuts new tracks after 1hour in 96/24 and the 671 doesn't so maybe that has something to do with it.  Anways, thanks for the suggestions. 

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 07:30:11 PM »
you can set the 671 to split in terms of hours but not gb's. if running 24/96, set it to an hour.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline brownm84

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 12:03:02 PM »
you can set the 671 to split in terms of hours but not gb's. if running 24/96, set it to an hour.
I've used the 671 and I split when a lull between the music occurs.  Saves time in post and eliminates the size issue.  I don't do it for every time a song changes but when I use this deck it does help since it has seamless file split.  Thats one of the feature that made me go with the R-09HR since it saves time in post and prevents you from going over 2 gb.

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 01:41:28 PM »
Thanks a million for the help everyone.  I was able to split the file into tracks in CD Wave Editor and then open in Audacity and export as 96/24 wave which now read as pcm files in "properties" and will open up in Vegas.  The files are exactly the same size so that must be a good sign.  All of the "waves" dithering options are in that program as plugins so I wanted to make sure to use the best option that I have available for conversion to 44.1/16.  Hopefully I won't need too much more help from here on in.  Thanks again...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com