Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Reducing handclaps on a SBD recording w/ Audacity?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline bbernardini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Reducing handclaps on a SBD recording w/ Audacity?
« on: January 18, 2008, 09:49:16 AM »
I've been recording speeches and such where I work from the board into an Edirol R-09 (that's not really important, I guess). I've found that some speakers have a tendency to clap directly in front of the mic, which makes it tough to bring up the level of the file with Audacity. I was wondering if any of you Audacity wizards have any techniques for reducing the volume of these handclaps without the level changes being very obvious going in and out of the clapping sections. (If that makes no sense, I'd be happy to clarify.) Thanks!

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Reducing handclaps on a SBD recording w/ Audacity?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:17:11 AM »
a compresser with a fast attack should help bring down the level of the peaks.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:38:51 AM »
Same issue as here (http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,97250.0.html) and a lot of other threads.  Shawn's suggestion to apply compression is a good one.  Unfortunately, last I checked (~6 mos ago), Audacity's compressor didn't work.  So, you're left with the volume envelope (VE) option.  It looks like this:

See the small white dots along the dot purple line?  Those are VE reference points.  Set a VE point where you want to start decreasing the applause.  Set another VE point and move it horizontally to control the range over which the VE is applied and move it vertically to control the slope of the volume decrease.  To create a curved slope, set multiple points between the start point and end point of the range you'd like to modify and adjust the slope independently between each pair of points.  (I'm not sure how they created a curved slope with only two points in the image above.  Maybe the feature has improved since I used it and there's now user control over the curve between two points.  Or maybe the compressor's fixed in the latest version.)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 11:50:39 PM »
???

yeah, what's with the curves?   ???
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 08:41:39 AM »
Brian I believe I downloaded some of the VST plug-in effects from the audactiy website and there is a compressor in that bundle that works. The quality may be debatable, but I do believe it at least functions.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/plugins

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com