Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 18000mah Universal battery  (Read 40468 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 18000mah Universal battery
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2012, 08:51:42 AM »
^ OK, good info Chuck. 

Lesson learned then seems to be that the stock cable that comes with Naztech branded battery isn't identical to those being sold on ebay.  I'll confirm this in a week or so...I just ordered an ebay version last night.

Your experience with the on-off button seems consistent.  I didn't realize that button was an on-off since I'd been using my battery from the USB connector for 5v applications, but yesterday Drewloo corrected me and when I double checked I confirmed my battery works the same way.

Someone asked about accidental shut off of the battery, but since it requires a 3 second push and the button isn't all that easy to push in, I don't see the possibility of accidental on-off of the battery with it sitting in a gear bag.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2012, 09:56:26 AM »
Someone asked about accidental shut off of the battery, but since it requires a 3 second push and the button isn't all that easy to push in, I don't see the possibility of accidental on-off of the battery with it sitting in a gear bag.

Agreed. Thanks again for the heads up. It's great battery for the price.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Nigel Tufnel

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2012, 03:22:39 AM »
OK. I got a new-to-me Lunatec V2 so I decided to try one last test of this battery. I wired up a custom dual power cord using the stock one provided with tips for a tascam hdp2 and a lunatec v2 so I could power both devices at once.

Had this battery running Busman Mics > Lunatec V2 > Tascam HD-P2 with backlight on for over 6 1/2 hours before the power dropped too low.

I'm pleased. Since I also have the Naztech version I don't HAVE to run both devices off one battery, but it's nice to know I can more than make it through a show off one battery.

stevetoney

« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2012, 11:02:27 AM »
^  So, just to understand details...

From the battery, you were going out of the single connector to a single cable that then splits (or made a 'y') into two.  One side of the cable goes to the 4-pin XLR power connector on the V2 and the other side goes to the connector on the HD-P2.  The Busman mics are getting phantom power from the P2.  I figure the battery was probably set to 12V, right?

Is this correct?

Offline Nigel Tufnel

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2012, 01:38:37 PM »
^  So, just to understand details...

From the battery, you were going out of the single connector to a single cable that then splits (or made a 'y') into two.  One side of the cable goes to the 4-pin XLR power connector on the V2 and the other side goes to the connector on the HD-P2.  The Busman mics are getting phantom power from the P2.  I figure the battery was probably set to 12V, right?

Is this correct?

Pretty close.  Yes I made a custom Y cable to feed the 4-pin on the V2 and the barrel plug of the tascam.

The battery was set to 9V which runs both pieces gear just fine. I could use 12 V, but I would have to tweak the V2.

Mics were powered by the V2 which was feeding into the tascam via line in.  Tascam was on and recording with the backlight on. 

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2012, 09:42:35 AM »
Got mine yesterday!!  This is a great battery for anyone needing a new power solution.  Comes with lots of tips and has a great build quality.  Nice alternative to DVD batteries.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:24:03 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2012, 11:26:42 AM »
I need to order one for my sax. Sounds like a great solution
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Chuck

« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2012, 11:40:18 AM »
Do any of you electrical guys know if it would be OK to put a 12v zener diode across the +12v and ground wires on the power cable to ensure that no more than 12v DC makes it to my recorder? I'm still a bit paranoid about over voltaging my DR-680 by mistake.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »
A friend ran his DR680 with this battery last night for Victor Wooten and Jimmy Herring Band with no issues!!

Do any of you electrical guys know if it would be OK to put a 12v zener diode across the +12v and ground wires on the power cable to ensure that no more than 12v DC makes it to my recorder? I'm still a bit paranoid about over voltaging my DR-680 by mistake.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

stevetoney

« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2012, 03:23:27 PM »

Alternatively, if you have a volt-ohm meter, set your battery at 12V and confirm it's putting out a consistent 12V before connecting it to your 680.  I don't do it much, but I've been known to carry my meter out to the venue, particularly during a festival, to verify battery voltages in order to confirm when it's time to swap them out.  That said, based on your message, you're probably wanting a circuit to give you peace of mind for protection against over-voltage, so disregard my suggestion if that's your only goal.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2012, 03:28:42 PM »

Alternatively, if you have a volt-ohm meter, set your battery at 12V and confirm it's putting out a consistent 12V before connecting it to your 680.  I don't do it much, but I've been known to carry my meter out to the venue, particularly during a festival, to verify battery voltages in order to confirm when it's time to swap them out.  That said, based on your message, you're probably wanting a circuit to give you peace of mind for protection against over-voltage, so disregard my suggestion if that's your only goal.

I actually do have a small pocket multi-tester I carry with me.
I just don't want to have any chance that the voltage could change and destroy my recorder.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2012, 10:04:57 AM »
Just got mine yesterday. Very nice! So the LED does not show a 5V setting? Just 9-21V? So I will assume that when the USB is connected it really is outputting 5 volts even though the display shows 9V? No matter what I do my display will not show a 5V setting. Did I get a reject? :P
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 12:51:47 PM by ts »

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2012, 10:31:18 AM »
No, that's how mine works, too.

stevetoney

« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2012, 05:12:37 PM »
Just got mine yesterday. Very nice! So the LED does not show a 5V setting? Just 9-21V? So I will assume that when the USB is connected it really is outputting 5 volts even though the display shows 9V? No matter what I do my display will not show a 5V setting. Did I get a reject? :P

No, that's how they all work.  The USB puts out 5v no matter what.  The battery doesn't need to be switched on for you to get 5v from that connection.

The other connection is active when the battery is switched on...dead when the battery is off.  This connection supplies the voltage that's displayed in the window...between 9 and 21v.  You're correct, 5v is not one of the options from that connection.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2012, 07:46:22 AM »
Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:02:27 AM by ts »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com