Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: umm cardersound?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
umm cardersound?
« on: February 25, 2008, 11:41:20 PM »
ummm.. is this some sort of joke?    ::scratching head:::    is it just me?

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1208716596
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:47:03 PM by eric.B »
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
Re: umm candersound?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 11:46:35 PM »
No its for real.. LOL I love it when someone trys to sell $100 worth of raw speakers and some wood for $2k
The fostex speakers are great but I have to tell you, a box that big for a speaker that small will only do one thing. Sound like crap. Unless he has tuned chambers inside the increase the bass response with out changing the back pressure on the speaker then it would just sound like a muddy mess of bass with very little high end. This is a full range speaker with no tweeter.. putting it in a huge box will not change the fact that the high end will not catch up with the low end... And for something that was CNC'ED his joints look like a 5 year old did them..... I love the defusers he put in the bass ports lol.. It makes it easy for the mic to crawl into the speaker and make a nest.. And man you have to love the 20Ga speaker cable he is using :)

Chris
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:49:22 PM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: umm cardersound?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 01:44:28 AM »
If a "back-loaded horn" is like a folded horn, or any type of horn, he is using a close to logarithmic curved horn to magnify the bass, as does a megaphone.  Klipsch did the with their horns and folded horns for years.  Twelve watts would create enough bass to shake your home, with the Klipsch.  Whether this guys is using the same principle I cannot tell you.  If he is it might work. 

Speaker design is the last outpost of voodoo and black magic in audio.  No, it is the biggest.  There is still lots of snake oil in this business.

Later:  It looks like this is a very simple single fold horn.  I would prepare to be underwhelmed.  I heard some of these simple horns about 40 years ago and was underwhelmed.  Maybe the bass was truer; maybe it just wasn't there.  YMMV
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 01:49:07 AM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
Re: umm cardersound?
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 10:20:52 AM »
If a "back-loaded horn" is like a folded horn, or any type of horn, he is using a close to logarithmic curved horn to magnify the bass, as does a megaphone.  Klipsch did the with their horns and folded horns for years.  Twelve watts would create enough bass to shake your home, with the Klipsch.  Whether this guys is using the same principle I cannot tell you.  If he is it might work. 

Speaker design is the last outpost of voodoo and black magic in audio.  No, it is the biggest.  There is still lots of snake oil in this business.

Later:  It looks like this is a very simple single fold horn.  I would prepare to be underwhelmed.  I heard some of these simple horns about 40 years ago and was underwhelmed.  Maybe the bass was truer; maybe it just wasn't there.  YMMV

Did someone say "snake oil" ? It looks like a scoop design to me as well. But its hard to tell how he has ported it at the top. On thing is for sure the bad job he did on all the joints is visible even in the photo's If I were him I would not be using fancy words like CNC :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com