Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rode Blimp  (Read 10294 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Rode Blimp
« on: April 04, 2008, 07:03:53 PM »
Looks like Rode are about to launch a blimp, and knowing them, it will be sensibly priced...

http://www.designawards.com.au/application_detail.jsp?status=3&applicationID=3521

Product Description and Principal Function(s)

The RØDE Blimp is a protective windshield and shock-mounting accessory for directional shotgun microphones, which are particularly vulnerable to wind noise. The product is designed to be used outdoors on location for film, radio and television recording & broadcasting. The lightweight moulded basket with integral wind-stopping fabric provides excellent suppression of wind noise. It is able to accommodate any shotgun microphone up to 425mm long, and provides effective shock mounting to eliminate low-frequency handling noises. The pistol grip allows the RØDE Blimp to be hand held or mounted on a boom pole, and includes mechanisms to allow quick adjustment.

Why does the product represent design excellence and why do you believe it deserves an Australian International Design Award?

The RØDE Blimp Microphone Windshield system is designed to improve the quality of on-location sound recording by eliminating intrusive wind and handling noise in outdoor environments. It provides excellent wind suppression, and also provides unmatched reduction in handling noise as well as introducing new adjustment functionality on the pistol-grip handle and easy access to the microphone- features ignored by other solutions currently available.

The highlight of the design is the single-piece injection-moulded mesh cylinder and domes that are heat-bonded with custom wind-stopping fabric. The geodesic domes offer unparalleled robustness and physical protection for the internally-mounted microphones, which are sensitive and expensive devices that are easily damaged at media scrums and during transport. The distinctive aesthetic of this shape perfectly conveys this intrinsic strength and is well-suited to this application. The geometry is based on a 10-frequency geodesic dome, with a triangular cross-section that allows the part to be injection-moulded in one piece, and creates a high open-area ratio which improves the acoustic transparency of the system. The domes can be easily removed by twisting off, allowing access to the microphone. The oversize thread allows simple re-attachment of the domes, avoiding clip systems that are fiddly, difficult to use and vulnerable.

Another outstanding design feature of the RØDE Blimp is the pistol grip which offers easy and fast adjustment of the handle position plus integrated cable management. The quick-release lever and cone clutch mechanism allows fast and precise angle adjustment. The horizontal position of the handle can also be adjusted via a clamping plate which allows the user to optimise the centre-of-balance for microphones of varying length. The ability to easily adjust these parameters is an important consideration since the product is often used for long periods in broadcast situations such as film production and sporting events. The other innovative feature greatly improving functional performance is the integration of cable-management into the handle: the XLR plug is tightly contained within the rear rubberized handle grip which can be removed when the cable needs replacing. This arrangement securely holds the plug in place, and prevents it from banging against adjacent surfaces or boom pole which would disturb the recording.

During the design and development of the product, the highest priority was achieving the best possible audio performance. However, consideration was also given to the overall aesthetic appeal. Even though these professional devices are rarely seen on camera during film production, they are highly visible during television media events and RØDE wanted to create a unique identity for this accessory and we think we’ve achieved this objective.

The environmental impact and safety of factory assembly personnel was also taken into account during the design stage. The custom heat-bonding of the fabric onto the plastic mesh parts reduces the amount of glue required to assemble the product. The handle and suspension parts were designed to be easily disassembled and repaired by the end-user, and spare parts for all components will be available for retail sale, thus reducing the amount of products that are needlessly discarded.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 07:33:28 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Røde Blimp
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 02:04:28 PM »
Interesting - but unless it is extremely cheap I would go for the Rycote S-series as the "Lyre" suspension is the best there is - at any price.

And having said this the new InVision series studio mounts are now shipping in all versions (a good month earlier than expected).  ;D

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 02:12:21 PM by John Willett »

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 08:24:44 PM »
Interesting - but unless it is extremely cheap I would go for the Rycote S-series as the "Lyre" suspension is the best there is - at any price.

Looks like a bit of a pain to change the mic mounts in that. Indeed does look sexy, but I'd expect the Rode blimp to be in th $200-300 USD range.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 06:01:55 AM »
Looks like a bit of a pain to change the mic mounts in that. Indeed does look sexy, but I'd expect the Rode blimp to be in th $200-300 USD range.

Actually it's very easy as they clip in and out - and they will take any mic. fom 19 to 25 mm diameter in the same clip.

UK price of the Rycote starts from under £300.

As I said - if the Røde is cheap...............

But I would still go for the Rycote because of the superior shockmount

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Rode Blimp
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 05:05:05 PM »
Looks like Rode are about to launch a blimp, and knowing them, it will be sensibly priced...

http://www.designawards.com.au/application_detail.jsp?status=3&applicationID=3521

you are one dude who really loves Rode. I don't blame you tho. I hear the warenty on those mics is awesome. +t for the find
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline jacobmyers

• Taperssection Regular
  • The horror!
    • Prison City Archive
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 04:33:59 AM »
 The hex grid seems like it'd be less intrusive - and less resonant - because of the lower overall mass than a more "traditional" screen blimp. And, since they're made by Rode, they'll probably have proper mounting for an NT4 (that alone is enough reason for me to buy one).

@ John Willet: That Rycote blimp looks great but it's almost twice as expensive as the NT4 I'd be putting inside it! Discussion on the economics of short-run production (and the >100% markup that's common among audio gear retailers) aside, I do hope that Rode's blimp is priced to sell...

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 06:15:07 AM »
I'm not overly fond of the blue, but for the right price, I could get use to it. It certainly adds another player into the mix, which is always good. I think the biggest issue for me is that because of the various mics I use, I have three different size zeppelins, and at $300 - 600 each, you end up spending a great deal of money on them. The alternative has been the guys from India who are selling via eBay (which get great reviews initially, but wear and tear on them does seem to be their weak point), so if Rode prices in the range mentioned here, then I think they are going to have a winner. However, handling noise is still the unknown, and until that is known, I'll stick with my Rycotes thank you very much.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline JackHenry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 07:52:04 AM »
I spoke to to Rode here in Australia a few days ago. I was sounding them out on whether I should wait before I bought a 'Rycote' and get a Rode blimp. Firstly he was sort of suprised that I knew about it and asked for the link to the forum post. Secondly, when he asked me what time frame I was willing to wait, and I told him a couple of months, he suggested I shouldn't wait. I asked him if I should wait for 6 months and he wouldn't commit an answer to that either. Food for thought.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 09:13:15 AM »
I spoke to to Rode here in Australia a few days ago. I was sounding them out on whether I should wait before I bought a 'Rycote' and get a Rode blimp. Firstly he was sort of suprised that I knew about it and asked for the link to the forum post. Secondly, when he asked me what time frame I was willing to wait, and I told him a couple of months, he suggested I shouldn't wait. I asked him if I should wait for 6 months and he wouldn't commit an answer to that either. Food for thought.

Ha! Well, submitting the blimp for a design award sort of gives the game away, if they wanted to keep a lid on it, what were they thinking? :)

digifish,
- What's this knob do?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 09:38:23 AM »
That Rycote blimp looks great but it's almost twice as expensive as the NT4 I'd be putting inside it!

Actually the NT4 won't fit.

The Røde NT4 is one of the weird mics - excellent value for money but no outside mount available for it that isn't twice the price of the mic.

The Rycote S-series will only go up to 25mm and the NT4 is 30mm.  The NT4 *will* fit into a standard Rycote nut this is 50% more than the S-series.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 09:27:49 PM »
That Rycote blimp looks great but it's almost twice as expensive as the NT4 I'd be putting inside it!

Actually the NT4 won't fit.

The Røde NT4 is one of the weird mics - excellent value for money but no outside mount available for it that isn't twice the price of the mic.

The Rycote S-series will only go up to 25mm and the NT4 is 30mm.  The NT4 *will* fit into a standard Rycote nut this is 50% more than the S-series.

Fits in the CineCity (Indian) blimp...

As you can see the clips are stretched open quite a bit. The clips are a very flexible plastic and not in danger of breaking. They hold the NT4 quite well, so long as you don't invert it, under those conditions I have had the NT4 dislodge from one clip. I have also doubled-up the rubbers to reduce wobble (the blimp comes with about 20 spares).

I have no problem recommending these blimps to hobbyists who will look after them.

digifish
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 09:32:59 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline JackHenry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 05:28:27 AM »
I'm glad you posted a picture of the NT4 mounted. I'm thinking of getting that mic. Out of curiosity, could you mount it in the frame WITHOUT the clips. There seem to be a few people mounting them using just the rubber bands (or large O-Rings) around the mic body.

Also, what 'model' blimp is that from CineCity???

John

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 07:55:30 AM »
I'm glad you posted a picture of the NT4 mounted. I'm thinking of getting that mic. Out of curiosity, could you mount it in the frame WITHOUT the clips. There seem to be a few people mounting them using just the rubber bands (or large O-Rings) around the mic body.

Also, what 'model' blimp is that from CineCity???

John

Yes you can make an X just with rubber-bands. Rode do some mounts SM3, 4  & 5 like this...I have a SM3 and it holds the NT4 OK. At the limit of what the mount can handle, it's a heavy mic so it sags a bit, but doesn't make contact with the holder. Similar bands stretched in the Blimp would be fine. More room, higher tension on the bands.

As for the CineCity model...Click here to see it

They are cheaper on eBay tho, same company...

Click here to see the eBay version

digifish

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 08:08:32 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Petrus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 02:45:52 AM »
I have a Pearl MSH 10 stereo mic which is 28mm in diameter. Called Rycote about their new S-series and they said "sorry, 25mm max". Well, the craddle is plastic, so I went and bought an S-Rycote anyway and forced the Pearl in. It works. The clips are a bit open, but I just wrapped some thin wire across the top to keep those clips closed when inverting the blimp. You could do the same with NT-4.

The only complaint is that the opening for the cable is designed for the ultra thin mono cable which comes with the contraption, real pain to squeeze stereo pair through it, even a thin pair.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 07:06:14 AM »
The clips are a bit open, but I just wrapped some thin wire across the top to keep those clips closed when inverting the blimp. You could do the same with NT-4.

Good idea...modding now +T :)

EDIT: I just hooked a spare rubber over the top of the mic using the upper mounting points as anchors...fixed...  ;)

digifish
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 07:25:18 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com