Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Screwed the pooch  (Read 4744 times)

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
Screwed the pooch
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:20:50 PM »
First time using my stereo mic (Avantone CK-40) in X-Y last night.  Simple?  Yep, except I didn't orient the mic body properly, and ended up with essentially mid-side using two cardioids.  Wondered why the right mic was -5dB, but like a numbskull chalked it up to weird room and just balanced the gain.

Just in case you ever wondered what it sounds like and looks like, here goes.

This was an attempt to learn the sound of the hall.  Just too bad that it's buggered.  I imagine there's no saving it, unless someone has some creative ideas.  Crap.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:29:43 PM by thunderbolt »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Screwed the pooch
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:29:31 PM »
BUMMER :(

Live and learn, right? ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 09:37:36 PM »
Yeah, bummer. I just got my BSCS-L, which is the Busman version of the CK-40. I had to convince myself as to which way what cap is pointed. I used a flashlight to see through the mesh to see the diaphragms.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 09:43:55 PM »
Why not try to decode it in your DAW like an M/S recording?  Use the left mic (since it's +5 dB hotter) as your "mid" and pan it to center, copy your right mic to a third track and pan your right mic tracks hard left and right.  Worth the experiment, I would think.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:26:29 PM »
Yeah, bummer. I just got my BSCS-L, which is the Busman version of the CK-40. I had to convince myself as to which way what cap is pointed. I used a flashlight to see through the mesh to see the diaphragms.

NICE! Thats my next mic purchase :) Id love to hear some samples :)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 10:57:58 PM »
Why not try to decode it in your DAW like an M/S recording?  Use the left mic (since it's +5 dB hotter) as your "mid" and pan it to center, copy your right mic to a third track and pan your right mic tracks hard left and right.  Worth the experiment, I would think.

Sure, it's doable, you'd end up with a sub-card for the left and weird hyper (forward facing) for the right.

A big tip is to sit it up at home to find the fronts of the capsules, (set it up XY, snap fingers, put it near a radio and listen over headphones, etc), then put a small piece of electrical tape to signify the "front". That was my worst problem. After that it's just checking the switches. I ran the BSCS-L for a while, neat mic for a series of situations. I really like my jazz tapes I made with it.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 12:16:08 AM »
I've had plenty of fails...  forgot cable...  forgot clamp...  burned out battery pack before show started...

Experience will solve all your issues...  Tape the crappy shows on off-nights with your new stuff, before you bust it out for the big stuff.  That way you know how it all works..  My worthless advice...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 12:30:26 AM »
Experience will solve all your issues...  Tape the crappy shows on off-nights with your new stuff, before you bust it out for the big stuff.  That way you know how it all works..

qft
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 01:01:18 AM »
I've had plenty of fails...  forgot cable...  forgot clamp...  burned out battery pack before show started...

Experience will solve all your issues...  Tape the crappy shows on off-nights with your new stuff, before you bust it out for the big stuff.  That way you know how it all works..  My worthless advice...

+1.  I've generally tried to do this when I've started using new gear to avoid disappointment. 

To add to your fails, back in the day of analog tapes, I *once* forgot an extra tape to record the headliner - I think that was my best ever move.  *facepalm*

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 01:16:22 AM »
I have forgotten everything from my stand to my old D8. Never forgot the mics tho :P

I have since learned from my mistakes and everything stays in my bag connected, except for batteries ;) MUCH HARDER to forget something that way. And I ALWAYS do battery runtimes to see how long each piece of gear will last :) I do that to every new piece of gear I get and at the start of every festie season :)

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 04:16:03 AM »

NICE! Thats my next mic purchase :) Id love to hear some samples :)

Samples forthcoming, probably in Team Busman. Chris told me he's going to discontinue the BSCS-L, so if you really want one, don't wait too long! IMHO it sounds amazing!!

Since it was the first time out with the mic, I actually ran my other rig too, to make sure I got the show.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 11:21:30 AM »

Sure, it's doable, you'd end up with a sub-card for the left and weird hyper (forward facing) for the right.

A big tip is to sit it up at home to find the fronts of the capsules, (set it up XY, snap fingers, put it near a radio and listen over headphones, etc), then put a small piece of electrical tape to signify the "front". That was my worst problem. After that it's just checking the switches. I ran the BSCS-L for a while, neat mic for a series of situations. I really like my jazz tapes I made with it.

Put the tape on last night; good advice.  I have only myself to blame, and should have done some dry runs first.  The good thing is that it was professionally recorded by someone else (he used AT4050s in near-coincident XY) and there were no expectations--just me noodling around.  Makes me realize how wonderful it would have sounded if done correctly.  Fortunately, there's a ton of live music at the university so I'll have plenty of chances to get it right.  Thanks for all the advice and consolation, guys.  These things keep us humble.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 01:03:53 PM »
When I had an LSD2 I made all those mistakes.  Definitely need to mark the front.  Eventually I sold the mic.  The real issue was I drank too much at the time...

If you mess up like that, the only one that's really savable was when I run blumlein and had it pointing at the bar (to the left).  In this case invert the left channel, then swap left/right.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 05:47:44 PM »
why not just double the good mono "M" track?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 06:36:55 PM »
Just a thread bump, to send a caution out there to all the tapers.....there's going to be some great opportunities to record this New Years......check and double-check your gear!   :) ;D 8)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.178 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com