Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Choice of microphones  (Read 10330 times)

Offline Jeffbeckfan1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Choice of microphones
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 05:03:54 PM »
Want to say a huge Thank You to you all for your advice and great comments. I am glad all your answers have kept my learning curve steep. If I may, I will PM some of you to get more insight on details.

I feel very comfortable with the gear I purchased and realize I will have to work and learn in order to optimize it. Am trying out Audacity at the moment to be able to do some post tweaking as well. Gear, taping at the right place and post tweaking seem to be integral.

As for mic's the DPA's are really interesting for the future. Also glad the Countryman B3's and the Nevatons were mentioned. Still the Shoeps is some kind of ultimate goal.

Just to get a feel for the statistics I did an interesting search at Dime today. Searched for CMC**, CA**, Shoeps, DPA etc. Most people don't reveal what gear they use, but some do. If anyone is interested I can post my findings.

That's because (sadly, as to DIME anyway) a) they don't know, probably because they aren't the taper and didn't ask the taper in advance, or b) their gear is total garbage (i.e., the internal mics on virtually any machine in virtually any situation). 

It continues to annoy me that only the tapers of the "traditional taping bands" (aka Phish, moe., etc.) are the ones who, as a group, take any kind of care about what gear they use and tracking their lineage.  Those of us who tape a lot of the bands you find on DIME that actually show we care about this stuff are sadly in the minority.  But then, you already knew that  ;D

Well, been a member of Dime for a year now and I guess you're right. Interestingly, quite a few of the tapers at Dime I found to produce great recordings I also find as members here. Coincidence or passion. You tell me.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 05:10:28 PM by Jeffbeckfan1 »
Soon to be : CA-14 omis/cards > CA-9100 > Sony PCM-M10
and......yeah......I am a fan of Jeff Beck!

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2011, 04:12:08 AM »
Just to get a feel for the statistics I did an interesting search at Dime today. Searched for CMC**, CA**, Shoeps, DPA etc. Most people don't reveal what gear they use.

Most tapers will post a pretty good lineage of mikes, pres recorders and even location.  They like to advertise what kind of sluts they really are. 

I agree that those who don't list equipment simply didn't include the original Info File (or became lost in a trade).  It took me the better part of a year to figure out what I liked and didn't like.  Besides Schoeps and Neumann I'll give a vote for DPA cards, too.  There are subtle differences between these mikes in terms of bass, treble, accuracy and warmth.  No clear right or wrong here, when you get to the top level of mikes, its what you prefer.  And because I didn't list a particular mike, doesn't mean they aren't any good, they just didn't rise to my self perceived level of what I liked.  When drop $2,000 + for mikes, I took my time listening. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2011, 07:14:19 AM »
I sometimes post recordings from a friend of mine and he requested that I not get so detailed as to the lineage because people would know who taped the master.  He wants to stay hidden.  I say he's a little paranoid.  If someone PM's me wanting more specific lineage, I will give it to them. 

My recordings has precise lineage, but I don't reveal my seat location.  I regularly stealth in some venues and sometimes in the same seat.  I don't need my name on it for the venue security to come find me.  :P
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »
I sometimes post recordings from a friend of mine and he requested that I not get so detailed as to the lineage because people would know who taped the master.  He wants to stay hidden.  I say he's a little paranoid.  If someone PM's me wanting more specific lineage, I will give it to them. 

My recordings has precise lineage, but I don't reveal my seat location.  I regularly stealth in some venues and sometimes in the same seat.  I don't need my name on it for the venue security to come find me.  :P

I think seat # is definitely above and beyond.  For stealthing, any location info should be pretty optional.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2011, 12:14:23 PM »

Really?  Must depend where in Europe a bit... I've heard plenty of UK-based recordings where people who are just hammered are screaming and talking in ways that would ... well, equal their U.S. counterparts, I guess :)

Yup.

The UK is a bit of an outlier, I think.  I have seen some rowdy shows there (not more rowdy than in the States, though), but, in general, I think the European crowds are more restrained.  I have seen shows in 16 or 17 countries here, many times that in cities/venues, and almost all have had pretty good crowds...

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2011, 01:15:31 PM »
The UK is a bit of an outlier, I think.  I have seen some rowdy shows there (not more rowdy than in the States, though), but, in general, I think the European crowds are more restrained.  I have seen shows in 16 or 17 countries here, many times that in cities/venues, and almost all have had pretty good crowds...

Thinking about it, the problem usually isn't one of rowdiness per se, so much as the capacity of British people to pay an eye-watering amount of money for a concert ticket and subsequently spend the entire gig talking absolute crap at normal conversational levels (or louder.)
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com