Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nady SSM-5 mount (Schoeps A20 clone)  (Read 10612 times)

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
Re: Nady SSM-5 mount (Schoeps A20 clone)
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 05:57:19 PM »
so are these the smaller diameter cradle (20mm) or larger like the Busmans (22mm) in which case gaffers tape would be needed to make snug?  Good deal I'm likely going to grab a set thanks for the link!

I just measured with the calipers, and it's 22mm.  According to his website, Busman sells 22mm and 20mm sizes.  I didn't find out this cradle was the larger size until I got it, and since I'm using an active bar that is 19mm, that's quite a bit of tape to take up the difference.  I have heard of some people bending the cradle tighter using a heat gun, but I'm not sure I will be able to do that without breaking it.  I'll probably just line the cradle with some felt padding or something to make up the difference.

I just received a pair of the SSM-5 and lining the cradle with self-adhesive felt made for a perfect fit for the CMC. 

Offline microburst

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 08:49:40 AM »
so are these the smaller diameter cradle (20mm) or larger like the Busmans (22mm) in which case gaffers tape would be needed to make snug?  Good deal I'm likely going to grab a set thanks for the link!

I just measured with the calipers, and it's 22mm.  According to his website, Busman sells 22mm and 20mm sizes.  I didn't find out this cradle was the larger size until I got it, and since I'm using an active bar that is 19mm, that's quite a bit of tape to take up the difference.  I have heard of some people bending the cradle tighter using a heat gun, but I'm not sure I will be able to do that without breaking it.  I'll probably just line the cradle with some felt padding or something to make up the difference.

I just received a pair of the SSM-5 and lining the cradle with self-adhesive felt made for a perfect fit for the CMC.

I just bought and rec'd a few of these mounts and was wondering what self-adhesive felt you would recommend to reduce the diameter of these to bring them down to the 20mm I need for Schoeps mics and bars.  A link would be helpful or a recomended brick & mortarretailer and product ID.  Thanks.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 09:16:22 AM »
I used the soft part of velcro strips.  Works great for me for several years.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline microburst

• Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 09:49:54 AM »
Thanks Rory, velcro seems to be a viable solution.  Not so easy to get on all the way around the cradle but got it in place on 1 mount and the mic is pretty snug.  It's a little more loose than it would be in a normal 20mm cradle but i think it will be good enough.

My only concern is that the velcro sheds a little and I don't want that stuff inside my capsules obviously. 

Offline microburst

• Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 09:57:22 AM »
Actualy, I don't like this velcro solution.  It's sheds too much just from touch and I don't want to risk the fabric getting inside my capsules.  Who has other suggestions?

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 11:16:35 AM »
I noticed this mount isn't 20mm like the CM3 body.

Other possible solutions.

Get a tube of two part putty epoxy.  Mix by kneading the two parts  together using gloves.  Wrap your mic in wax paper or coat it with something you know won't allow the epoxy to stick to the mic body.  Some use Kiwi neutral shoe polish to keep gun barrels from sticking when they use this stuff to bed barrels to a stock.  Then wrap the mic with enough electrical tape that it will be centered in the mic mount.   Roughen the inside of the mic mount to give the epoxy something to help stick.  Make a bead inside the mic mount.  Insert mic and wait for it to dry. Hopefully, the mic doesn't stick to the epoxy.   

Tried using 0 rings--too thick to fit between the mount and the mic body. 

Another option would be to wrap the mic body with a thin piece of rubber from something like an inner tube. 

Tried a couple of black cable ties on the mic body, and that seems to space it correctly.  Not sure if they would scratch the mic body over time. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:42:13 AM by 2manyrocks »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 05:57:54 PM »
I noticed this mount isn't 20mm like the CM3 body.

Other possible solutions.

Get a tube of two part putty epoxy.  Mix by kneading the two parts  together using gloves.  Wrap your mic in wax paper or coat it with something you know won't allow the epoxy to stick to the mic body.  Some use Kiwi neutral shoe polish to keep gun barrels from sticking when they use this stuff to bed barrels to a stock.  Then wrap the mic with enough electrical tape that it will be centered in the mic mount.   Roughen the inside of the mic mount to give the epoxy something to help stick.  Make a bead inside the mic mount.  Insert mic and wait for it to dry. Hopefully, the mic doesn't stick to the epoxy.   

Tried using 0 rings--too thick to fit between the mount and the mic body. 

Another option would be to wrap the mic body with a thin piece of rubber from something like an inner tube. 

Tried a couple of black cable ties on the mic body, and that seems to space it correctly.  Not sure if they would scratch the mic body over time.

Much easier and less potentially messy are the self-adhesive felt furniture pads I used.  Holds the mic tightly but there's no chance of ever scratching it.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 06:41:50 PM »

I just bought and rec'd a few of these mounts and was wondering what self-adhesive felt you would recommend to reduce the diameter of these to bring them down to the 20mm I need for Schoeps mics and bars.  A link would be helpful or a recomended brick & mortarretailer and product ID.  Thanks.

I bought an 8x10 inch sheet of generic, self-adhesive felt at Joann Fabric.  It was the thinnest (only?) kind they had.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com