Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 460/480 owners...  (Read 10524 times)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
AKG 460/480 owners...
« on: November 16, 2005, 06:46:58 PM »
What do you guys keep your extra capsules stored in?  I need to find something to keep them in, and the clear plastic cases I have for my 451 caps are too small...

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
Re: AKG 460/480 owners...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 06:51:46 PM »
the original AKG cardboard boxes which are lined with foam, in a cool dry closet, nothing fancy but its free and it works

Offline pickmando

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 06:56:39 PM »
small fishing tackle boxes work well

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 11:22:48 PM »

What, you just pitch the caps into a small tackle box??  I meant storage, not how to carry them around.  I've got that covered already   ;D

I thought about the Schoeps caps containers but I think they're too narrow for the CK63 caps or the A60 reducing adapters...maybe old plastic film canisters??

Looking for suggestions...
Dirk

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 11:33:05 PM »
Bean's setup is sweet.  There's pics somewhere on here that I'll try to find.
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 11:56:18 PM »

What, you just pitch the caps into a small tackle box??  I meant storage, not how to carry them around.  I've got that covered already   ;D

Dirk

they stay in the tackle box in my bag.

with the foam they do not move at all.  and I got enough room to put the ck62's whenever I get them ;)
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline pickmando

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 11:59:19 PM »

I thought about the Schoeps caps containers but I think they're too narrow for the CK63 caps or the A60 reducing adapters...maybe old plastic film canisters??

Dirk

I guess I'm not clear on why you would want to keep them in different containers for storage and for carrying them around.   Film canisters is a way to keep your capsules safe, but a tackle box can hold your bodies and all different caps you may have for the bodies.  Maybe it just doesn't work for you.

edit: I use a very similar setup that Gordon uses and it works for me.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 12:04:30 AM by batman »

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 08:24:49 AM »
Ah, OK.  Had to see it for myself as visualizing wasn't cutting it for me.  This does look like a pretty good solution.

Capsule containers aren't necessary, but safer due to foam degradation possibilities.  That's why I wasn't really thinking about keeping them "exposed" in some sort of case...

Dirk

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 09:48:04 AM »
i have my bodies in a padded quilt pouch intended to carry glass devices(cough). i have caps inside the stock windscreens zipped up into a pouch in my bag. crude but works well. i just stuffed the caps inside the windscreens and they provide excellent padding.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 12:01:49 PM »

Dirk

with the foam they do not move at all.  and I got enough room to put the ck62's whenever I get them ;)

I also use one of these.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 12:25:05 PM »
Pelican 1060
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 12:31:21 PM »
I don't have 480's, but I keep my MG's in a Pelican 1060 as well.  It's the best protection around.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 12:41:52 PM »

Dirk

I also use one of these.

Me too.  Very convenient and light weight.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 01:26:27 PM »
I keep mine in a box similar to the fishing tackle boxes already in this thread.  Got mine from Container Store for like $6.  I have a Pelican 1060 but it is so damn bulky.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 03:10:10 PM »
Bean's setup is sweet.  There's pics somewhere on here that I'll try to find.

thanks heath, here are some pics:

Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline ford prefect

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 04:28:46 PM »
I keep mine in a box similar to the fishing tackle boxes already in this thread.  Got mine from Container Store for like $6.  I have a Pelican 1060 but it is so damn bulky.

Yeah, but can your tackle box do this...

;)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 04:51:22 PM »

Yeah, but can your tackle box do this...

;)

I give up!  You got me.  Actually I have no idea nor would I want to.  Although I have had a D7 in that same spot under a tire (don't ask).   The Pelican's are great but so damn bulky.  Since I carry a Nova 5 and not a backpack I don't have room for something that big anyway.   

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005, 05:11:34 PM »

I give up!  You got me.  Actually I have no idea nor would I want to.  Although I have had a D7 in that same spot under a tire (don't ask).   The Pelican's are great but so damn bulky.  Since I carry a Nova 5 and not a backpack I don't have room for something that big anyway.   

is the 1060 that much bigger than the tackle boxes from the photos? seems to be a little thicker with some bullk from the latch and hinges but it doesn't seem like it would be too much bigger than a tacklebox. just curious.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 05:22:43 PM »

is the 1060 that much bigger than the tackle boxes from the photos? seems to be a little thicker with some bullk from the latch and hinges but it doesn't seem like it would be too much bigger than a tacklebox. just curious.

When I get home tonight i'll take a comparision picture and upload it to this thread.  The box I used is a little less than half the size of the 1060.   Don't get me wrong, I like the 1060 just think it may be overkill.  I try and keep my rig as compact and portable as I can and having a 1060 doesn't help.  Its one of the reasons I moved away from SLA's to Walmart batteries.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 05:25:55 PM »

When I get home tonight i'll take a comparision picture and upload it to this thread.  The box I used is a little less than half the size of the 1060.   Don't get me wrong, I like the 1060 just think it may be overkill.  I try and keep my rig as compact and portable as I can and having a 1060 doesn't help.  Its one of the reasons I moved away from SLA's to Walmart batteries.

He speaks the truth!  OFOTD sent me his mics/caps in the tackle box last month so I could do some comps.  I keep my 460's in the pelican 1060.  His tackle box is a lot smaller than the 1060.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2005, 06:10:57 PM »

cool - i believe you, i'd like to see some side by side photos - looking at 2 different pictures doesn't really allow for a good comp.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2005, 08:00:25 PM »
OK, being a complete NON-fisherman...where does one get a tackle box?  Where does one get a pelican case (other than online - I'd like to go look at one before I buy)...

Dirk

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2005, 08:08:01 PM »
OK, being a complete NON-fisherman...where does one get a tackle box?  Where does one get a pelican case (other than online - I'd like to go look at one before I buy)...

Dirk

www.cases4less.com

and get the pick n pluck foam for added easiness, and get 1 inch thick foam from the local craft store for the top of the case

Offline T.J.

• Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2005, 08:11:27 PM »

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2005, 08:16:30 PM »
I keep my 461's in a pelican 1060, and it fits in my nova 4 with a UA5, cables, jb3, windscreens (large dpa)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2005, 08:19:52 PM »
Where does one get a pelican case (other than online - I'd like to go look at one before I buy)...

Dirk

www.cases4less.com

and get the pick n pluck foam for added easiness, and get 1 inch thick foam from the local craft store for the top of the case

;D :smoking2:

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2005, 01:47:25 PM »
Here are the pictures as promised.  Let me say a few things before we get to the pics though.  My main objectives of a case for my mics are protection first and size/weight second.  I tape out in the open so no stealth anymore.  My indoor to ourdoor ratio is about 50-50 by the end of the year.   Outside I worry about dust and spilled beers more than anything and indoors its mostly spilled drinks.  I love Pelican cases and have been using them for almost 10 years now on taping equipment as well as other applications around the house.  Great products and perform as advertised.  In the interest of size, weight and protection I think that 95% of the time I tape it would be overkill.

I use a plastic divider box from a store here in Dallas (http://www.containerstore.com/) called the Container Store for my mics and caps.  They have stores in a handful of states.   The case itself was $5 and I had some leftover foam from something that was shipped to me to line the bottom.  The dividers that seperate the caps are adjustable for size.  The Pelican case in the pictures is the 1050 (not the 1060).  The 1050 is one inch smaller length wise and witdh wise but has the same depth as the 1060.  So for comparison sake imagine that my 1050 is an inch longer and wider. 

The box has three plastic closure hinges that stay locked pretty tight.  The caps stand vertical whereas in the Pelican they are horizontal.  On the ends of my mic box I keep thread adapters and a coin to adjust my shockmounts.  One day they'll hold some ck62's or swivels.  The box cannot repel water down to 50 feet and doesn't have a purge valve but then again I have NEVER EVER had the use for either.  What it has done is have many drinks and beers and mud hit it and it completely keeps that crap off the inside.  Also this box fits in the inside pocket on the top flap on my Lowepro Nova 5.  I don't have to keep it external of my taping bag.  Nor do I have to make lots of room in my bag for it.

Anyways on to the pictures:

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2005, 02:14:16 PM »
thanks for the shots - definately a big difference there.

i currently use a 1050 and find it to be overkill, but the 1060s seem to be better but i've never seem them side by side, does anyone have any shots of a 1050 next to a 1060?

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2005, 02:21:04 PM »
[snip]The 1050 is one inch smaller length wise and witdh wise but has the same depth as the 1060.  So for comparison sake imagine that my 1050 is an inch longer and wider.  [snip]

Actually, the 1050 is deeper than the 1060.  Here are the outside dimensions of each box as shown on Pelican website:

1050     7 1/2"   x    5 1/16"   x    3 1/8"   

1060     9 3/8"   x    5 9/16"   x    2 5/8"
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2005, 02:33:45 PM »
[snip]The 1050 is one inch smaller length wise and witdh wise but has the same depth as the 1060.  So for comparison sake imagine that my 1050 is an inch longer and wider.  [snip]

Actually, the 1050 is deeper than the 1060.  Here are the outside dimensions of each box as shown on Pelican website:

1050     7 1/2"   x    5 1/16"   x    3 1/8"   

1060     9 3/8"   x    5 9/16"   x    2 5/8"

So with my fuzzy math we're looking at about 1/2" difference on depth?  Still over twice as deep.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2005, 02:36:59 PM »
 :P

Offline ford prefect

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2005, 10:13:27 PM »
get 1 inch thick foam from the local craft store for the top of the case

The 1060 doesn't come with foam for the top of the case?   :-\

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2005, 10:25:02 PM »
get 1 inch thick foam from the local craft store for the top of the case

No foam for the bottom either.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2005, 10:28:33 PM »

Some places sell the cases with foam, some without, some both ways.  I had both options and ordered mine with foam for a whopping $1.50 extra or some such.  The lid's foam is fairly thin (~1/4") and much more dense than the main cavity's pick-n-pluck foam.  Haven't completed my setup yet - running the CMC6 inside the case, actives and mic cables connected - but I think the lid foam will do the trick just fine.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2005, 10:04:50 AM »
pick n pluck foam has to be ordered from cases4less, but its a minimal 4 bucks or something, and the lid needs 1 inch foam preferably

the pick n pluck foam can be easily ordered under the accessories of the 1060

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.13 seconds with 59 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com