Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The ULSI Mic Technique  (Read 10309 times)

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: The ULSI Mic Technique
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 02:08:17 PM »
I´ve interacted with Erik a number of times over the net.

He does not give the impression that he takes the ULSI especially seriously as an invention, it is mostly there as a trademark and to dazzle the journalists.

What he does is he makes really good recordings. In fact the very best organ recording in any category I have ever heard is "The complete works of Mattias Weckman" recorded on the Baroque organ in Örgryte Kyrka. It is an amazing organ and an amazing recording. I think this recording (sadly) is only available to through Gothenburg organ art centre.

Another exceptionally good recording is the Quatuors by Beethoven played by Quatuor Mosaïques (I believe it is the Astrée Auvidis lable). The recording is very much on the analytical side where every nuance is heard clearly.

Gunnar

Offline smokydays

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 03:31:38 PM »
Yeah but can the stealth bomber run FOB panic?  :P ;D
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."
-- About To Rage, Gov't Mule

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 03:37:48 PM »
I was just thinking, last week, that this recoring would sound so nice if I wan't getting all that stand reflection smearing everything.

You know you joke about this but some of those mic trees I'm sure have issues with reflections in the high frequencies from other gear mounted near it.  It was actually one of the things I was instructed to consider when first learning.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Schallfeldwebel

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 09:33:14 AM »
Please judge yourself. One example ULSI microphone technique used for recording the Muller Organ in St. Bavo church in the Netherlands.

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/eriksikkema/Prel%20A%20Dur%20BWV536%20Oortmerssen.mp3

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 06:33:18 PM »
Sounds very good! and welcome to the forum.

Are you suggesting we contribute any of that very nice recorded sound to the beautifully carved curved and routed wooden mic mount? 

Like most here, I admire the fine craftsmanship and beauty of this thing and I'm certain I would find using it enjoyable, but without any data or comparative recordings, I remain sceptical towards any sonic claims the ULSI technique makes over a recording produced with the same placement, mics, angle and distance between them, supported by less attractive but reasonably 'clean' standard mounts.  Without such a comparison no one can answer that question conclusively.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:36:02 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Schallfeldwebel

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 08:19:41 AM »
Thank You Gutbucket for taking the time and listen to the example. I am not suggesting anything. Neither is the picture of the anti-reflecting mounting device in any way conclusive about the type of acoustical elements mounted on it. It is not always you hear what you see. As you may have noticed, I am no longer presenting the mount on my website. In this thread the technique is mentioned as the ULSI mic technique, I have never promoted it like that, it is the ULSI stereo technique. The mount indeed does contribute to the quality of the ULSI technique, but its contribution is limited to the upper octaves, the part of the audio band where reflections do play a larger role than many of microphone manufacturers will admit to their customers, although they are well aware of it. You would be surprised to see the continuous ripple caused by a simple device as the DPA anti-vibration mount icw a DPA 4006 microphone. The mount as referred to in this thread is made in such way the upper frequencies do not get manipulated by plugs, wires, tripot and clamps, but neither do reflections of the microphone housing reach the membrane of the opposite channel microphone. The result is a very clean lively upper range of the audio band, and some of my customer claim to hear that difference. Set back, the mount has a fixed spacing and fixed angle, and therefore in some situations a compromise, as so many things in recording. The mount was specifically designed for baroque organs.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 09:59:57 AM »
Thanks for the details.  You make a distinction between refering to your system specifically as a stereo technique verses a mic technique.  Are there other unique aspects of the system other than the reduced reflection mount for the 4006 microphones and cables?

Great instruments, beautiful spaces, and interesting well-made recordings. I look forward to listening to some of your other organ recording samples when I get a chance. It hasn't been very active, but you may be interested in posting in the Team Classical thread.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Schallfeldwebel

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 11:19:25 AM »
Very interesting thread. (Team Classical). I have done similar reasearch as Geoff Martin. I do respect him very much. Unfortunately I do not have the means to further develop and research the ULSI stereo-system, and the version I work with myself is a stripped down version, to make the system commercially workable. I have tried to involve Chalmers technical university, acoustical lab in Gothenburg, Sweden, but the acoustical lab has never shown any interest. For me standard A-B, XY and MS do have such anomalies I always looked for other solutions. For more sound examples please go to my website. www.eriksikkema.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com