Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggestions on getting 24 bit audio from PC to stereo system?  (Read 7631 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: Suggestions on getting 24 bit audio from PC to stereo system?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 01:48:29 AM »
Check out this thread; some options are listed there:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=159708.0

I'm listening to my new Audioquest Dragonfly right now and it's exactly what I have been looking for.  I'll tell more about it after I listen to it some more.

Edit: Here's a recent article from Inner Fidelity that abstracts reviews on several popular amplifier / DAC combinations. Any of these units that has a USB input will do the job.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/you-can-take-it-you-survey-portable-usb-headphone-ampdacs
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:26:40 AM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 03:07:44 PM »
Can anyone tell me if audio files (or video files) on a PC can play through an A/V receiver via LAN connection?
PC > LAN > router > LAN > A/V receiver
I'm trying to hook up a media hub and the PC does not have a digi output.  But the receiver has an LAN port.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 09:16:58 AM »
^^^ Absolutely.  I have my PC, NAS server, modem and amplifier all connected via a router.  I can playback files from either the NAS or the PC with no problems...

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »
Can anyone tell me if audio files (or video files) on a PC can play through an A/V receiver via LAN connection?
PC > LAN > router > LAN > A/V receiver
I'm trying to hook up a media hub and the PC does not have a digi output.  But the receiver has an LAN port.

Wouldn't the A/V receiver in this scenario need to know how to handle the file format you're seeking to play? It would seem to me that under this scenario, the a/v receiver is connected to the lan so that it can independently access, decode and play the audio files on the lan. If, for example, the a/v receiver was not configured/designed to recognize/play flac files, it would follow that it couldn't play flac files accessed via the lan connection.  OTOH, if the pc decoded the flac to a spdif stream and fed it to the same a/v receiver, it would have no problem playing the same file.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 06:25:52 PM »
^^^ I think that most components with an Ethernet connection can play a wide range of file formats (all of the commonly used ones).  When I bought mine, some didn't support flac, but I think almost all of the current crop does....

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 12:46:42 AM »
^^^ Absolutely.  I have my PC, NAS server, modem and amplifier all connected via a router.  I can playback files from either the NAS or the PC with no problems...

Thanks for the reponse!
I have both a PC and A/V connected to router via LAN.  Both devices are connected to internet. 
I can't seem to play any PC files through the A/V receiver though.  Any suggestions on how to get the PC and A/V to play together nicely?
Also...  do you need to connect the PC directly to the TV.... or can it be PC > A/V > TV?

An yes, the A/V receiver can play up to 24/192 flac/wav files.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:12:19 AM by uncleyug »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 09:34:34 AM »
The first thing to do is check which protocols are implemented on your receiver.  That's almost certainly DLNA, although there are others.  Then you need to set up your PC as a server using that protocol.  Recent versions of Windows Media are DLNA compliant, I think, and there are also a number of third party software packages available (including free/shareware).  Make the software point to, and share, the folders containing your music files.  Your receiver should then "see" those folders.

At least in theory, it's as simple as that.  Practically, maybe, maybe not.  My NAS was no problem, but with the PC it was slightly trickier (I had to assign a fixed IP address to the receiver and change a Windows network setting).  Shoot me a PM if you have trouble.  I am not an expert, by any means, but maybe I can help...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com