Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVD-A or DVD-V?  (Read 7968 times)

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
DVD-A or DVD-V?
« on: October 17, 2006, 11:17:03 PM »
I want an easy and simple solution to listen to 24 bit material on my playback.  All of my 24 bit masters are either 24/48 or 24/96, which format is easier?  I was talking to Doug about burning my masters to disc, he suggested using DVD-V format (I think it was for better compatability reasons), basically a DVD-V disk with no video, do I need additional authoring software to do this?  I have Nero 7 Ultra Edition and so find find it about useless, perhaps I'm just not getting it.  I have diskwelder (from Tascam, version offered w/ the DRVA), but I haven't tried burning a disk or even tried messing around with it yet, basically because I wanted to figure out the DVD-V thing first.  My player is a Denon 2910 if that makes any difference.  Has anyone else found a reliable format and software that works in thier Denon?  I've found an abundance of material about making DVD-V's, just nothing that addresses audio in particular.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 11:19:54 PM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
Re: DVD-A or DVD-V?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 11:26:11 PM »
audio-DVD creator, $39, worth every penny.

I went with DVD-V because of the compatability and all my DAT masters are 48K.  if you plan to put any odd sample rates like 44.1 or 88k or weird bit depth, you will need DVDA.  DVDV only supports LPCM or 16 or 24 bit at  48k or 96k.

If you already have discwelder, might as well use that instead of spending money.   The denon 2900 will play both but I prefer DVDVs for spreading around just in case  other peoples players don't support DVDA.  If you are using linux, there are tools to do audio on DVDV but it was going to take more than $40 worth of my time to download and learn all the tools.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 06:35:07 AM »
audio-DVD creator, $39, worth every penny.

I went with DVD-V because of the compatability and all my DAT masters are 48K.  if you plan to put any odd sample rates like 44.1 or 88k or weird bit depth, you will need DVDA.  DVDV only supports LPCM or 16 or 24 bit at  48k or 96k.

If you already have discwelder, might as well use that instead of spending money.   The denon 2900 will play both but I prefer DVDVs for spreading around just in case  other peoples players don't support DVDA.  If you are using linux, there are tools to do audio on DVDV but it was going to take more than $40 worth of my time to download and learn all the tools.

what he said ;D

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 08:10:38 AM »
Try LPlex as well - newer, free software to create DVD-V discs.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/audioplex/

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 08:51:34 AM »
I will have to disagree.
the DVD-A format , especialy since you have a DVD-A capable deck...is the way to go.
and the free DVDaudiofile software kicks ass for this.  drag FLACs in, out pops an .iso image which you can burn w/nero.

as far as compatibility for others goes..., well, if thats important to you then DVDv is the only option there...but not every deck will play those correctly.  some seem to be TAO ..., while other decks play them gapless, so that is not 100% for everyone either.  While it will play, it may not play just exactly perfect.

spread FLAC files around and let others deal w/it.

as for your own playback, a nice digi out from the PC into a DAC kicks ass, does not require special authoring software or the expense of buying/burning DVDs.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 11:39:12 PM »
I will have to disagree.
the DVD-A format , especialy since you have a DVD-A capable deck...is the way to go.

any particular reason why?

DVDv...but not every deck will play those correctly.  some seem to be TAO ..., while other decks play them gapless, so that is not 100% for everyone either.  While it will play, it may not play just exactly perfect.

Which software authored the discs that did this?  Is it possible that it wasn't operator error - configuring the authoring session to insert gaps?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 12:39:28 AM »
I'm going to play around with some of the ideas thrown around if time permits this weekend and report back.  +Thanks for the feedback guys!
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 06:24:51 AM »
DVDv...but not every deck will play those correctly.  some seem to be TAO ..., while other decks play them gapless, so that is not 100% for everyone either.  While it will play, it may not play just exactly perfect.

Which software authored the discs that did this?  Is it possible that it wasn't operator error - configuring the authoring session to insert gaps?

the only time I had a problem with gaps on DVD-V discs is when I used a cheap deck...and searching around the internet, it was believed to be a buffer problem with th deck...so the culprit wasnt the format...regardless, I have found it has worked fine with my pioineer elite dv45

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 09:13:35 AM »
I will have to disagree.

any particular reason why?

why?...
hell, why not.  give me a compelling reason not to burn DVDa to play on your DVDa deck?  seems like that would make sense to me.  Plus, you know for a fact its going to play correctly on any DVDa deck.

as for the software, I used DVDaudioCreator (the software mentioned) for my DVDv discs, which I found inconsistant w/playback on various decks.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 10:31:15 AM »
Why burn discs at all?  IMO it doesn't get any more simple than skipping the optical media stage outright.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 10:36:31 AM »
Why burn discs at all?  IMO it doesn't get any more simple than skipping the optical media stage outright.

while i agree and that's how i'm set up, it's not necessarily that easy for most people to have the proper amount of storage in close enough proximity to your playback gear.  some people may only have a laptop and don't want to continually attach cabling.  their pc's may not have enough storage capacity for all the music.  WAF may hamper their ability to run cabling at all.  i guess the squeezebox is a solution, but without the $750 power supply mod, i hear it's not worth a damn anyways. :P

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 10:38:46 AM »
and whatever gain you get in teh WAF with the squeezbox you lose when you add a $750 power supply :P

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 10:47:03 AM »
I desparately need a new computer soon and i'll look into this whole squeezebox thing, but a $1K box (w/ PS mod) to pass 0's and 1's?  basically paying for a remote control, correct?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 10:50:56 AM »
I desparately need a new computer soon and i'll look into this whole squeezebox thing, but a $1K box (w/ PS mod) to pass 0's and 1's?  basically paying for a remote control, correct?

the squeezebox is a hell of an idea...and at $300 reasonable...but if I need a $750 power supply mod to make it sound worth a shit, I would rather fish cable through the wall

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 10:55:05 AM »
the squeezebox is a hell of an idea...and at $300 reasonable...but if I need a $750 power supply mod to make it sound worth a shit, I would rather fish cable through the wall

The stock power supply sounds just fine (though I'm running digi-out, can't speak for analog-out).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com