Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SACD Player Question  (Read 6360 times)

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
SACD Player Question
« on: October 04, 2003, 03:49:58 PM »
Hi all,

I'm in the market for an SACD player.  Here's my question- I intend on getting a D/A convertor soon so the D/A within the unit isnt of any concern to me.  Are all SACD players created equal on the digital level?  What do people reccomend?

Jonny

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
Re:SACD Player Question
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 06:28:34 PM »
You are going to need a super high end external D/A if you are going to use it for a SACD dac.  Most consumer d/a converters do not decode DSD format data only PCM.  It can be done it looks like firewire is going to be the method to inface with the transport.

DCS makes a D/A converter that can do DSD see attached link.
http://www.americansound.com/dCS.htm

Also PCM vs DSD
http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/dvdavssacd/
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 07:12:15 PM by Wiggler »

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2003, 07:00:13 PM »
so if i want to spend less than 10k on my sacd setup :-)  more like 1k or under is that reasonable?  Its going to be going with my denon 5803

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2003, 07:09:53 PM »
I'm not aware of any consumer based external Dac's that can do SACD  DSD based audio format are you?

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2003, 08:10:02 PM »
im not, what about an sacd player that has an internal d/a thats pretty good.  im still planning on getting an outboard dac but i obviously wont be using it for my SACD at this point.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 10:34:09 PM »
you can do very well for 1k or under.  i have the onkyo dvsp800 dvd/dvd-a/sacd/cd player.  I really like it.  I think the SACD especially sounds great.  I haven't done extensive listening on any other player, however.  I got mine for about 725 new from j and r.  You can get refurbed ones for a little over 500 i believe.  The Marantz all-in-one solution (current model is the 8400) is an awesome box, but you're talking the 1500 range, i believe.  can pick up the 8300 used on audiogon for under 1000.  i think those are a step up, ask sideshowbob.  but for me, at the 750 price point, you'll do really well with the onkyo.

jpschust

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 01:35:04 AM »
ill look into both :-)  thanks!

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: SACD Player Question
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 04:12:43 AM »
what did you end up doing with this..?

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

jpschust

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 09:23:31 AM »
what did you end up doing with this..?

im at the point where i need to sell one of my universal players hahahaha, i seem to keep acquiring them through trades and whatnot.

i have a denon dvd-2900, a 5900 (which as awesome as it is, is going to my parents for chanukkah) and i just got a yamaha player in trade for my belles amp.

My parents just bought the 55" Pioneer Elite Plasma TV (IMHO the BEST tv money can buy these days) so since I wasn't able to do anything for them for their anniversary since they were out of town and they did so much for me in my moves and graduation this past year I figured the least I could do was give them my really nice DVD/SACD player.  I also have a set of bettercables.com ic's for them as well.

I know some think it is early for chanukkah, however I am going home for Turkey day and we are doing Chanukkah then since I am going to Costa Rica for Jerry Joseph NYE.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 05:59:34 PM »
toshiba 4960 modded supposedly, and I haven't heard the denon units, but according to audiociircle smokes the denon players, and again, I said supposedly!
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

jpschust

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 08:03:26 PM »
toshiba 4960 modded supposedly, and I haven't heard the denon units, but according to audiociircle smokes the denon players, and again, I said supposedly!

yah that's a load.  i can't imagine the mod's THAT dramatically improve the transport.  Plus i've played with the 4960, pick one up and then with that same one hand you used to pick it up try picking up one of the denons.  much better build, much better quality components, plus no need to buy then send it somewhere for a while.

additionally, feel the quality of the tray.  the 4960's tray is a piece.  now that i've ripped on the 4960, let me fess up and say that i did own one for a little while and i passed it along to a friend without a dvd player.  a good unit, but putting it on par with the denon is a pretty steep challenge that i don't think it meets, mod'd or not.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 08:45:21 PM »
I think with the toshiba, considering the price lists that I've seen, you can spend a lot of cash getting into the advanced mods.  I have to wonder at what point the modded toshiba matches the Denon 2900.  If I have to spend $300 to mod a $100 player and it then sounds comparable to a $1000 player that I can get for $500 used, I'd rather spend the extra $100 and go with used stock player.  The reason for this is that in my experience a stock unit maintains value over time better than a modded unit.  So while I can turn out my used 2900 again for $500, I'd definitely lose on the money invested in mods.  It's been my experience that any modded unit (except for classic pieces modded by known individuals) is less desirable on the used market. 

Of course if your doing the mods yourself for personal enrichment, then better to screw around with a cheap player than just ripping the lid off your Meridian as soon as the soldering iron is warm.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 09:33:00 PM »
The Marantz all-in-one solution (current model is the 8400) is an awesome box, but you're talking the 1500 range, i believe.  can pick up the 8300 used on audiogon for under 1000.  i think those are a step up, ask sideshowbob.

The Marantz 8300 plays everything that you can throw at it and is a very solid machine. Too bad SACD is on the way out and commercial DVDA is questionable for a future. I only use the 8300 for SACD/DVDA, as I let my McIntosh MVP851 handle the movies ;)

---Jason

** http://www.marantz.com/p_prod_release.cfm?id=230&cont=AM&cat=hf  **

DV8300: Universal Audio and Video Format Compatibility The THX Select-certified Marantz DV8300 Universal DVD-Audio/Video/SACD Player offers both DVD-Audio and Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD) playback—enabling listeners to enjoy the benefits of both state-of-the-art formats, along with superlative progressive scan DVD-Video playback and much more.

The Marantz DV8300 is engineered for ultimate audio and video performance in every respect, incorporating the most advanced digital audio and video technologies to deliver superlative sound and picture quality. Along with two-channel and multi-channel DVD-Audio and SACD capability, the DV8300 offers compatible playback of DVD-Video, CD, CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, MP3, Video CD and Super Video CD discs, making it the most versatile home entertainment source component available. The DV8300 provides full bass management for DVD-Video, DVD-Audio and SACD discs, includes built-in Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound decoding, and provides a full selection of high-end performance and convenience features. (SRP: $1,599.)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 09:38:51 PM by sideshowbob »
"Music soothes the beast in a man"...Joseph Stalin

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."  Abraham Lincoln (Dec. 18, 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives)

Schoeps MK21/MK41/MK5/M222's>Elvo NT222's>Grace V3>SD 722

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 07:13:15 AM »

yah that's a load.  i can't imagine the mod's THAT dramatically improve the transport.  Plus i've played with the 4960, pick one up and then with that same one hand you used to pick it up try picking up one of the denons.  much better build, much better quality components, plus no need to buy then send it somewhere for a while.

additionally, feel the quality of the tray.  the 4960's tray is a piece.  now that i've ripped on the 4960, let me fess up and say that i did own one for a little while and i passed it along to a friend without a dvd player.  a good unit, but putting it on par with the denon is a pretty steep challenge that i don't think it meets, mod'd or not.

I've said it before!  Much more to a unit than the DAC and Op amps.  Power supply, chassis stiffness (read as resonant freq), transport, etc all play a part. 

SC

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 08:29:08 AM »
The mods I did pretty much replaced everything in the power supply, the dac, and I put dampening material everywhere.  It sounds pretty damned good too.  50 bucks in parts, about two hours in time, and a little frustration.

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.261 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com