Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Furman power conditioners = waste of money!  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Furman power conditioners = waste of money!
« on: February 17, 2007, 12:55:04 AM »
So here's the scoop:

Furman power conditioners are nothing more than a rack mountable surge protector with an LED on the front.  When you open the things up they're not better than an ordinary cheap ass surge protector strip that you can find at the wal-mart for $10.  If you're cool with paying $150 for aesthetics then good for you, but to anyone else they're a big waste of money.  Forget those Monster Power surge protectors too, they're in the same class.  If you want real surge protection that is actually going to offer protection beyond the standard options you should buy a Tripp Lite unit.  They supply extremely clean and efficient power as well as test your circuit before interfacing.  So if you have problems with your wiring or a sketchy circuit the unit will refuse to power up.  Just thought I'd pass along some knowledge since it took me by surprise.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Furman power conditioners = waste of money!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 08:34:04 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the heads up. A surge protection  will be my next purchase and your report means a lot.
Take care ;D
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 12:08:54 PM »
This is the one and only "real deal"

http://www.purepoweraps.com

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 12:11:33 PM »
So here's the scoop:

Furman power conditioners are nothing more than a rack mountable surge protector with an LED on the front.  When you open the things up they're not better than an ordinary cheap ass surge protector strip that you can find at the wal-mart for $10.  If you're cool with paying $150 for aesthetics then good for you, but to anyone else they're a big waste of money.  Forget those Monster Power surge protectors too, they're in the same class.  If you want real surge protection that is actually going to offer protection beyond the standard options you should buy a Tripp Lite unit.  They supply extremely clean and efficient power as well as test your circuit before interfacing.  So if you have problems with your wiring or a sketchy circuit the unit will refuse to power up.  Just thought I'd pass along some knowledge since it took me by surprise.

Tripplite is good these guys are better

http://www.etasys.com/Main/Products/DigitalRackmountConditioning.asp

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

cshepherd

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 02:02:03 PM »
I find the effects of ac power on sound really interesting.  Someone posted a youtube documentary of the greek audiophile society somewhere around here.  One guy...the craziest of them all if you will...made a claim that a/c power is 50% of the system's sound.  I found that number a bit surprising, but I respected his statement. 

Monster line conditioners are sub-par.  A customer of ours replaced a $1500 Monster unit with a Quantum Q-Bar and a good power cord.  We brought it to his house for demonstration and he bought it on the spot.  The Monster sounded veiled and sleepy by comparison.  Good a/c distribution is not cheaply done.  I think the $150 price tag on the Furman is the first clue.

Chris

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 03:20:24 PM »
I have to be honest, Monster may be a cheesy brand but it works. It is way more then a surge protector, I am referring to my HTS 3500. I can hear a noticeable difference with & without. I have no doubt there are much better products but in my system it is a noticable improvement.

I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 04:30:57 PM »
The rule of thumb I've always heard is if you can lift it easily with one hand it's probably not doing a whole hell of a lot for you.

The crap from Musician's Friend is nothing more than a fancy power strip, as has been pointed out already.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 04:10:11 AM »
So here's the scoop:

We bought a couple of these for use where I work.  They have all but eliminated any of the 60Hz buzz in our room, and some other annoying noises.

One of them was under $500, so they are not too expensive...but they are super-heavy and have really loud fans, which is kind of a bummer if you need an acoustically isolated environment.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 08:58:58 AM »
So here's the scoop:

We bought a couple of these for use where I work.  They have all but eliminated any of the 60Hz buzz in our room, and some other annoying noises.

One of them was under $500, so they are not too expensive...but they are super-heavy and have really loud fans, which is kind of a bummer if you need an acoustically isolated environment.

They are meant for a studio equipment room where they can purr away undetected. They are one of the best around though.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com