Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 2)  (Read 107043 times)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 2)
« Reply #345 on: April 22, 2015, 10:01:18 PM »
I'm just posting to confirm that Chris @ Bussman Audio is doing modifications to the DR-70D for $150 for TS.com members (saves you $20).

Mine should be on its way....
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #346 on: April 22, 2015, 10:56:53 PM »
I'm just posting to confirm that Chris @ Bussman Audio is doing modifications to the DR-70D for $150 for TS.com members (saves you $20).

Mine should be on its way....

What does the mod consist of?
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline 404 Not Found

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #347 on: April 23, 2015, 10:22:18 AM »
Looks to me as if someone wiped the screen with a paper towel and dulled the screen.   

Someone at TASCAM or whoever the prior owner was that had this before it was sent back to TASCAM wiped the screen with something.  When it's turned on it is somewhat foggy as to why I said it looks like a headlight on a car that the plastic had oxidized.  Paper towel, Rubbing Alcohol or some combo of solvent and wipe did a job on it.  On my original DR-70D, I  had a screen protector that I put on as soon as I got it, just so I would not end up with a screen like on the replacement.

404 Not Found, did they even fix the gain/noise issues you were having? Probably not by the looks of it :(

No, They said that they could not resolve the issue, as to which I was informed in email and by voice mail that they where replacing it with a "New" DR-70D.  If they had just done what they had said and stood behind that with a new unit, I would have been a very happy customer. 
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #348 on: April 23, 2015, 12:06:58 PM »
Having looked at the pictures of the replacement they sent, I wouldn't call it a "beater" now that I see the pictures, but IMO it's fair to say you were sent a "blemished" unit to replace your new unit.  Since they've opted to refund your money, presumably you're better off now that the price of the new units has fallen.

Now what about Pohaku's question --what exactly does Busman do to modify the 70d for $150? 

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #349 on: April 23, 2015, 10:24:26 PM »
I asked Busman what the mod consisted of since I got the JWmod and wanted to know if they were somehow comparable or not and he said he prefers not to share that information because he was not a known as JW.  That's cool I suppose.  I'm sure Busman's mod would do the deck justice as well.  Don't think anyone could really go wrong with either mod, although I have not heard Busman's as of yet.  Remember the deck sounds mighty fine stock right out of the box too! :clapping:
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #350 on: April 24, 2015, 08:34:12 AM »
404 Not Found, did they even fix the gain/noise issues you were having? Probably not by the looks of it :(

No, They said that they could not resolve the issue, as to which I was informed in email and by voice mail that they where replacing it with a "New" DR-70D.  If they had just done what they had said and stood behind that with a new unit, I would have been a very happy customer. 
[/quote]

I know! That's all they had to do was send you the NEW replacement and it would've been a done deal! But they chose to do a 180* and send you a blemished unit! I don't think that makes any of us feel too great! But for the price and what I got with it, I had to take the chance!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline picklemic

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #351 on: April 24, 2015, 01:58:12 PM »
I asked Busman what the mod consisted of since I got the JWmod and wanted to know if they were somehow comparable or not and he said he prefers not to share that information because he was not a known as JW.  That's cool I suppose.  I'm sure Busman's mod would do the deck justice as well.  Don't think anyone could really go wrong with either mod, although I have not heard Busman's as of yet.  Remember the deck sounds mighty fine stock right out of the box too! :clapping:

I am working on last night JRAD show with a busmod DR70 and must say I think I like it. Of course it doesn't nearly have as smooth or nicely round sound that my Grace's has, but it will do. Links coming later.
AKG 522 c the pickle,v2,v3,R 44

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #352 on: April 24, 2015, 06:24:05 PM »
FYI, I moved the FAQ to a new, locked thread and locked the old one as well.  Don't update your bookmarks yet though - I'm having a problem where I cannot unlock either of those threads to edit them.  It's been reported to the mods, but in the meantime I can't edit anything so please be patient.  In the meantime if anyone knows what I did wrong and how to fix it, I'm all ears.

Never mind, I'm an idiot.  New FAQ is here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=172795.0
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:28:56 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #353 on: April 24, 2015, 06:43:50 PM »
How about compared to the R-44 pres?? 

I am working on last night JRAD show with a busmod DR70 and must say I think I like it. Of course it doesn't nearly have as smooth or nicely round sound that my Grace's has, but it will do. Links coming later.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline picklemic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #354 on: April 24, 2015, 07:28:17 PM »
Ya, eventually. I think it is pretty comparable to the R-44 pres. I don't have an unmodded dr70, so I can't compare the difference there. I recently got a AKG 522 XY in addition to my AKG 522 MS and the new recorder and new kick ass Darktrain cables that I wanted to check first. I did bring the R-44. I just didn't switch. It only runs on AAs these days. So I went with the 522xy after I decoded the 522 MS. The XY was less roomy with better mids and a rounder bass. Uploading now.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #355 on: April 24, 2015, 07:40:26 PM »
FYI, I moved the FAQ to a new, locked thread and locked the old one as well.  Don't update your bookmarks yet though - I'm having a problem where I cannot unlock either of those threads to edit them.  It's been reported to the mods, but in the meantime I can't edit anything so please be patient.  In the meantime if anyone knows what I did wrong and how to fix it, I'm all ears.

Never mind, I'm an idiot.  New FAQ is here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=172795.0
I never understood why there was a different thread to begin with.
Coming up in thread 3 now I see even less reason, just have the first post be the FAQ and continue on
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:56:00 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline picklemic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #356 on: April 24, 2015, 08:50:21 PM »
Ya, eventually. I think it is pretty comparable to the R-44 pres. I don't have an unmodded dr70, so I can't compare the difference there. I recently got a AKG 522 XY in addition to my AKG 522 MS and the new recorder and new kick ass Darktrain cables that I wanted to check first. I did bring the R-44. I just didn't switch. It only runs on AAs these days. So I went with the 522xy after I decoded the 522 MS. The XY was less roomy with better mids and a rounder bass. Uploading now.

https://archive.org/details/jrad2015-04-23.picklemic

Offline voltronic

« Reply #357 on: April 24, 2015, 09:10:50 PM »

I never understood why there was a different thread to begin with.
Coming up in thread 3 now I see even less reason, just have the first post be the FAQ and continue on
I hadn't considered that option.  At the time we were discussing it here, it seemed people wanted a separate FAQ thread so I started one.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #358 on: April 26, 2015, 01:54:25 PM »
Anyone having trouble with the USB connection? It seems to drop easily. It doesn't like a USB hub and it only seems to work with the supplied USB cable. But even then it's very touchy.

And even the supplied cable doesn't plug all the way in into the USB input. The plug is very loose and shaky in there.

They should have spent a few more pennies and at least put in a USB mini connection.

*Maybe this is why they're getting rid of a lot of the early units at bargain discounts.....
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 02:00:26 PM by dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline voltronic

« Reply #359 on: April 26, 2015, 02:23:48 PM »
Anyone having trouble with the USB connection? It seems to drop easily. It doesn't like a USB hub and it only seems to work with the supplied USB cable. But even then it's very touchy.

And even the supplied cable doesn't plug all the way in into the USB input. The plug is very loose and shaky in there.

They should have spent a few more pennies and at least put in a USB mini connection.

*Maybe this is why they're getting rid of a lot of the early units at bargain discounts.....
Yes, I've also found it to be picky with USB cables.  I initially tried it with this Monoprice one, which is usually the best for charging and file transfer with my phone: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=5457&seq=1&format=2

It kept failing as you describe - the file transfer would abruptly end and then unit would power down.

Then I tried it with this cable I bought to use with my USB battery, and the connection is solid every time: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YKX6WC/ref=twister_B0089W5Q1O?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have not found the plug to be loose though - mine is pretty tight.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com