Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: thoughts on new oade ua-5 mods?  (Read 17274 times)

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
thoughts on new oade ua-5 mods?
« on: March 18, 2003, 01:57:43 PM »
after hearing people talk about the 2 new oade mods (warm & clarity mods) i've been thinking of getting rid of my mp-2 and picking up a ua-5.  I'm currently running Audix SCX-one > MP-2 > D100.  I thought about picking up a mod sbm-1, but they are running around $650 used.  For the price of a mp-2 and a sbm-1 i could almost pick up a minime!  

Does anybody have any tapes done w/ one of the new mod ua-5's so i can here what they sound like?

thanks,
justin
save

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re:thoughts on new oade ua-5 mods?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 10:30:30 PM »
I just picked up Oade's last warm mod UA5 (they're out of stock now for a few weeks, I believe)...  I'll be running it next Tuesday to tape Guster at Bogart's.  If you'd like a copy, let me know!  (lots of other shows coming up if Guster isn't your cup of tea)

Unfortunately I never used the unmodded UA5, so I won't be able to offer comparos, but at least you can hear what it sounds like  :)

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 10:41:17 PM »
unfortunately too you'll be at bogarts that sounds like ASS :-P

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 10:45:17 PM »
Hehe yeah well the next show is D&T at Millett Hall in Oxford, and that REALLY sounds like ass ;)

Lots of cool stuff coming up, tho, Scofield, Vida Blue, MMW, JMP...  So I should have a good idea of it's characteristics after the April run...

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 11:03:44 PM »
every room has a sweet spot, just got to find it and hope you can tape there :-X
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 12:40:48 AM »
this is true, but some rooms, even in their sweet spots sound like ass... bogarts is a great example.  

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2003, 08:48:00 AM »
I have a "warm" mod UA5.  I have the following recordings to offer if you want to hear:

Comparison recorded off my home system (mod-UA5 v. V3)
Charlie Hunter 2/7/03 ADK A51TL (m/s, on stage)> mod-UA5
Kimock 2/21/03 ADK A51TL (m/s, on stage)> mod-UA5

I'm trying to get my hands on a "clarity" mod UA5, but Oades is out of stock right now.  Maybe in a few weeks I can offer up a comparison recording of the 2 mods.

Craig T.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2003, 09:30:27 AM »

i'd definitely be interested in hearing any recordings done w/ the mod ua-5.  I've only heard a few tapes done w/ the unmod ua-5.  

Craig i'd also like to hear that comparsion tape you made if that's cool and maybe one of those other recordings you made.

Do either one of you guys have fast internet connections?  I have a ftp so if u do i could throw that up for you...if not would a b&p be cool?

So none of you guys think going to a mod ua-5 would be a step down from a mp-2?

Thanks!
justin
save

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2003, 09:36:25 AM »
I'd love to hear a comparo with the "clarity" mod UA5.

stoopidstp: I have a cable modem at home, if you want any of the shows I am taping this month or next let me know and I'll u/l

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2003, 09:51:40 AM »
bogarts isn't a bad sounding venue if you are willing to tape WAY fob.  i ran 30 ft. from the stage at the toad and the wet sprocket show and i was very pleased w/ my results.  i'll be at guster too and if the crowd is small or well behaved i'm going to try to run from the same spot.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2003, 09:58:39 AM »
I considered doing that, too, but at prior Guster shows I've been at it gets pretty rowdy down that close to the stage.  Guster fans are generally very cool, but they do dance alot :)  My wife is a huge Guster fan, I'm sure she'll be all over the place LOL

Do you have a cadre of friends coming to circle your stand, or are you just planning on using lots of duct tape?  ;)

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2003, 10:04:08 AM »
i've never been to a guster show so i'm going to see how many people are there try to make a judgement call.  unfortunately there will be nobody keeping a circle around the rig because i haven't been able to convince anyone that a guster show is a good way to spend $20, so i'm just going to tape that sucker down and give anyone that comes within 2 feet a dirty look.   :)

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2003, 10:40:21 AM »
Guster is a TON of fun!!  You are in for a serious treat, man.  Keep an open mind, and I'm sure you'll have a ton of fun.  I have NEVER had a bad time at a Guster show...  They just have a great time when they play, and it's real infectious!

What time are you getting there?  I'll setup up front with ya and we can duct tape the hell out of the stands.  If we setup right next to each other the gear can go in the middle and be relatively protected. :)

Did you buy a new T-mount for your new 480's?  I ended up with the Shure Vert and some TA shockmounts.

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2003, 11:46:35 AM »
i like guster, my friends don't.  i should be getting there pretty early to setup so we can definately meet up and put the stands up front and tape them down.  i'm looking forward to running the 480s up close and seeing what they can do.  new t-bar is on the way to i'd like to try running din.  i got a chance to run them xy last weekend and i'm pretty happy w/ my tape... a big difference in sound from the oktavas.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2003, 12:40:48 PM »
It's my maiden voyage with my gefell's and UA-5, I'm very excited to see how it all meshes (or doesn't!).  I think I'm going to try DIN, too, I usually run ORTF but most people have emailed me saying it's not a good config for the M300's.  I'm not a big fan of XY, so DIN seems like an interesting compromise!

My name is Nate, BTW.  Look for the guy fiddling with new mics, pre, shockmounts, etc, I shouldn't be hard to spot :)

My bud ordered the tickets to will call, so I'm going to try to get there as early as possible to pick them up...  I'm leaving Columbus at about 3PM so I should be there around 6ish?  Hopefully, depends upon traffic :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com