Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best solder for homebrew cables?....opinions needed from cable makers...  (Read 4114 times)

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
New question.  Since there was a general concensus for best XLR connectors time to move on to solder.  I searched and it seems 22g lead free silver was the "best".

here is the question.  What % purity of silver.  rosin or no rosin?  Where can I get some of this "best" solder? 

Thanks again.

What is the consensus for "best" XLR connectors for home brew cables? 
Neutriks?
Switchcraft?

does it reall matter?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 11:24:33 PM by mofrogeek »
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
Re: XLR connectors....opinions needed from cable makers...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 03:00:56 PM »
Definitely go with Neutrik connectors.  Switchcraft makes good connectors, but their XLR connectors suck.  Hard to work with, not very robust.

I've never tried them, but for lower cost, you could get Neutrik X series knock-offs.  I'm pretty sure Neutrik's patent ran out on the X series, so there are a lot of X series imitations now.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 03:14:16 PM »
van den Hul switched from Neutrik gold plated to Neutrik silver plated {NC3 MX-BAG (male) and NC3 FX-BAG (female)} earlier this year.  The following is from their web site...http://www.vandenhul.com/other/c-connec.htm#XLR.

Please note:    Our standard XLRs will change from gold plated to silver plated contacts

Regarding the high quality Neutrik XLR connectors we mount on our ANALOG balanced cable types, as from January 1-st 2006 we will gradually switch from using the version with gold plated contacts towards applying units with silver plated contacts.

After the transit period the Neutrik silver contact XLRs will be our standard. The Neutrik gold contact XLRs will however remain available on special request (a piece or mounted on our balanced cable types).

We have made the choice for silver since recently silver plated contact Neutrik XLRs have become available with which the silver is directly applied to the contact pins.

In comparison to the Neutrik XLR gold contact pins which employ a nickel underplating, the new version’s directly applied silver layer provides superior signal transmission and sound quality. This especially regarding weak (i.e. microphone level) signals.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Offline Todd R

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 03:23:27 PM »
Yep, I have always used the silver pin Neutriks.  Additionally, the silver pins use 2 microns of silver plated on brass, the gold pins use 0.2 microns of gold on top of 2 microns of nickel over brass.  In not many cycles, it seems like with the gold, you are really getting nickel as your conductor since the gold wears off.

The sound of silver is superior over gold, but gold does not tarnish, so silver requires more upkeep.  I treat my silver neutriks with Caig Industries DeOxit and ProGold to help prevent tarnish.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 03:46:07 PM »
awesome!  very helpful advice and is much appreciated.

Thanks again.
TS knowledge base rules
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 03:48:07 PM by mofrogeek »
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 06:35:06 PM »

The sound of silver is superior over gold, but gold does not tarnish, so silver requires more upkeep.  I treat my silver neutriks with Caig Industries DeOxit and ProGold to help prevent tarnish.

could you provide a little more info on this?

how exactly do you clean them and how frequently? or is it something that is done during/prior to constructing the cable?
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Todd R

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 07:30:07 PM »
Do a search on DeOxit, and you'll find what's available.  They've got several types of their product -- sprays, liquids, etc.  I use the spray version and apply it to the cables I make before I send them out since it is supposed to retard the formation of oxidation.  I re-treat my own cables every now and again when I think about it.

You probably could go for years without seeing any major oxidation, so tarnishing may not be that big of a deal, but the possibility of oxidation of silver contacts is the main reason gold is recommended over silver.  But with the construction of neutrik connectors, I think silver is the better option.

BTW, you can get Deoxit/Progold at RadioShack.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 05:36:39 PM »
Yep, I have always used the silver pin Neutriks.  Additionally, the silver pins use 2 microns of silver plated on brass, the gold pins use 0.2 microns of gold on top of 2 microns of nickel over brass.  In not many cycles, it seems like with the gold, you are really getting nickel as your conductor since the gold wears off.

Todd:
Do you know if the same holds true for the Neutrik chassis mounts? I'm debating whether to use the NC3FP-B-1 or NC3FP-BAG-1 for a project.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com