Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Sound Devices MixPre-D

<< < (2/8) > >>

page:

--- Quote from: bryonsos on October 13, 2011, 10:28:57 AM ---My MixPre takes 5-18V external. The only difference with the newer "D" version is the USB out, so it's likely the same. I have no experience with pairing with AKGs, but this is an awesome clean pre IMHO. Compact, and built like a rock.  It uses the same internals as their 7xx units.

--- End quote ---

generally, but it uses input transformers where as the usbpre2 really is the same as the 788's preamps which are very very similar to the older siblings. Neither is a bad approach, just what tool do you need for a job.

eclark:
sorry, I'm actually the OP, but had a mix up with my two accounts, since I haven't been on the boards in a while...

anyways, I am attracted to this unit because of it's functionality. but I'm not quite sure about sound, especially mixed with the AKG 460/480 mics. I've used the 451eb> MP-2 indoors for pgroove and outdoors for disco biscuits (both at the masquerade in ATL), I prefer the indoor pgroove recording because it's more bass-y. the outdoor recording with the disco biscuits is really bright and sharp almost, the highs are almost too high to listen to. OTOH, I used the w-mod UA5 with the 451 outdoors, slightly larger venue (echo project in ATL) with amazing results! it's my favorite recording. perfect sounding.

so, for anyone who has experience with the MP-2 or mixpre-d or mixpre or ANY Sound Devices product (since it seems they all use some what the same internals), how do these devices sound, say, compared to a W-mod UA5?

is the MixPre-D good for small boomy venues, large outdoors venues, nature recording? what are it's high points, what are it's low points?

bryonsos:
I'll see if I can borrow hypnocracy's AKGs for a show on Monday or the 22nd. If so, I'll report back.

kirk97132:

--- Quote from: eclark on October 13, 2011, 08:18:06 PM ---sorry, I'm actually the OP, but had a mix up with my two accounts, since I haven't been on the boards in a while...

anyways, I am attracted to this unit because of it's functionality. but I'm not quite sure about sound, especially mixed with the AKG 460/480 mics. I've used the 451eb> MP-2 indoors for pgroove and outdoors for disco biscuits (both at the masquerade in ATL), I prefer the indoor pgroove recording because it's more bass-y. the outdoor recording with the disco biscuits is really bright and sharp almost, the highs are almost too high to listen to. OTOH, I used the w-mod UA5 with the 451 outdoors, slightly larger venue (echo project in ATL) with amazing results! it's my favorite recording. perfect sounding.

so, for anyone who has experience with the MP-2 or mixpre-d or mixpre or ANY Sound Devices product (since it seems they all use some what the same internals), how do these devices sound, say, compared to a W-mod UA5?

is the MixPre-D good for small boomy venues, large outdoors venues, nature recording? what are it's high points, what are it's low points?

--- End quote ---

I've run a Bmp2+ UA-5 an MP-2 and a USBPre2.  The Pre2 is more like a V3 and fairly transparent which depending on the mic could said to be bright.  while the MP-2 has that warmer transformer feel.  I actually prefered the UA-5 with my LD mics over the MP-2.  BUT I used them stage lip and never in an OTS situation.  I can remember hearing the modded UA-5's being called a poor mans V2 or V3 but I don't think that's quite accurate.  I also do not have any direct expereince with the Oade modded UA-5's.

hi and lo:
Cool. I've heard a lot of Pre2 tapes and agree that it is very transparent and 'grace' like and I actually like its feature set a little better than than the v3.

I think the UA5 was coined a 'poor man's v2/3' more for it's funtionality rather than it's sound. Between the warm/P/T mods (I can't keep track of them all), it offered such a wide range of sounds that it's hard to pin it to the transparent 'grace' realm.

Definitely want to hear a few mixpre-d tapes and some comparisons to the original mp2/mixpre which has a very distinct sound. The only downside I am seeing to the pre-d is that it cannot be bus powered, so you can't use it as a headphone amp without an a/c adapter (unlike the pre-2). The idea of transformers for field use intrigues me, even if the pre-2 has slightly better specs, and it's small footprint is great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version