Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)  (Read 115831 times)

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
Re: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)
« Reply #315 on: October 17, 2011, 05:31:03 PM »
Hey kids...I finally have purchased an r44 and need to buy some memory....I've read through these threads as well as the team threads but most of that info seems kind of dated....any current suggestions on media or is the 8-16gb class 4 still the way to go? Thanks!
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #316 on: October 17, 2011, 06:56:37 PM »
Capnhook and I have also just climbed onboard. We will do our best to pull some sweet sounds!

Offline T-90

« Reply #317 on: October 17, 2011, 08:25:20 PM »
Ahoy!
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #318 on: October 17, 2011, 10:55:42 PM »
Hey kids...I finally have purchased an r44 and need to buy some memory....I've read through these threads as well as the team threads but most of that info seems kind of dated....any current suggestions on media or is the 8-16gb class 4 still the way to go? Thanks!

Most likely that info is still dependable but I'd personally opt for class 6 if you can for its faster write speed.  I've been using the same PNY 16gb, class 6 card in my R-44 for nearly 3 years and have never had any issues with it at all (knock on wood).  Getting a backup just to hedge my bets.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #319 on: October 18, 2011, 10:31:14 AM »
Trancend 32GB class 10, currently $42-$45 online.
search for  TS32GSDHC10

I have several and they've been working well in all my recorders, both Edirol and Tascam.
Just bought another one last week and broke it in lastnight.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline T-90

« Reply #320 on: October 18, 2011, 11:44:41 AM »
thanks guys!

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #321 on: October 18, 2011, 04:57:22 PM »
Is the R-44 the best sounding (stock), relatively inexpensive recorder still? I might be looking to move to this if it is.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #322 on: October 19, 2011, 10:57:10 AM »
Is the R-44 the best sounding (stock), relatively inexpensive recorder still? I might be looking to move to this if it is.

I haven't heard of a better one.  Johnny Fried Chicken Boy runs his stock with no pre in front and his pulls are great.  Mine is modded, but I'm honestly not sure how much diff it makes since he and I have never A/B'd our stuff. 

I can sing the praises of its ruggedness and reliabilty.  Mine has never failed me, is easy to operate, has a decently small footprint, and is just kind of all-around-awesome :)  I've even stealthed with it before! (You can probably get about 4hrs out of it running P48 on one channel on 4xAAs).  If someone gave me a 744, I'd take it, but otherwise, my R-44 is the best deck of its type I can imagine having.

If you don't need 4 channels, I'd give the Marantz 661 a look, and maybe one of the used FR2-LEs that go for dirt cheap here in the YS.  Haven't used either, but both are smaller and have pretty long track records around here, as you probably know.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #323 on: October 19, 2011, 11:22:29 AM »

I haven't heard of a better one.  Johnny Fried Chicken Boy runs his stock with no pre in front and his pulls are great.  Mine is modded, but I'm honestly not sure how much diff it makes since he and I have never A/B'd our stuff. 

I can sing the praises of its ruggedness and reliabilty.  Mine has never failed me, is easy to operate, has a decently small footprint, and is just kind of all-around-awesome :)  I've even stealthed with it before! (You can probably get about 4hrs out of it running P48 on one channel on 4xAAs).  If someone gave me a 744, I'd take it, but otherwise, my R-44 is the best deck of its type I can imagine having.

If you don't need 4 channels, I'd give the Marantz 661 a look, and maybe one of the used FR2-LEs that go for dirt cheap here in the YS.  Haven't used either, but both are smaller and have pretty long track records around here, as you probably know.

I'm just checking it out in case my DR-680 takes a crap.
Six to eight channels is nice, but I can get along pretty well with four.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #324 on: October 20, 2011, 12:36:50 PM »

Mine has run flawlessly on every SD card I've stuck in it and many of those were Class 2 Walmart sale items. I've read of other people having problems with some cards but just haven't seen it myself. I do format my cards in the machine before each use, maybe that's the trick.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #325 on: October 21, 2011, 12:08:48 AM »
The 16GB SanDisk I got at Office Max yesterday formatted, checked, and recorded and formatted again and again.  I should stop in the morning and get another...wow, what a fine piece of work this r-44 is. Ahoy y'all!
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #326 on: October 21, 2011, 12:12:50 AM »
What? you went digital? ;)

How much was the 16 gig card?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #327 on: October 21, 2011, 08:52:50 AM »
What? you went digital? ;)

How much was the 16 gig card?

Always been digital  ;)

Er, it was Office Depot for $70...
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #328 on: October 21, 2011, 09:50:50 AM »

I'm just checking it out in case my DR-680 takes a crap.
Six to eight channels is nice, but I can get along pretty well with four.
You mean when and not if?? Seriously, I hope for your sake it never craps out. I was thinking of getting a 680 at some point, but now it's not gonna happen. I honestly wish you the best with yours!

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #329 on: October 21, 2011, 09:52:55 AM »
The Capn has always been digital....in a classic 20th century sort of way. A true renaissance man!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com