Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)  (Read 116315 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)
« Reply #195 on: May 05, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
..After all it is only adding zeros to the 16 bit signal
That adresses the bit depth change from 16 to 24 bits, yet it is also resampling from 44.1 to 48khz, which is the potentially more problematic conversion.  You might check playback of the resulting file to see if it is the right pitch/speed.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #196 on: May 05, 2010, 04:37:06 PM »
Ah right.  Or just do the transfer over at the desired settings.  Fwiw I never had any issues upping the settings when doing transfers, most notably on the Sony LP(32Hz) settings.  And almost always upped from 16 to 24 bit just so I could do post processing and bring it back down without the fear or losing anything.   While I have only done a few Cassette xfers, I was told that doing it 24 bit does make for a better xfer.  I never bothered to do a side by side listening test to see if I could hear a difference but it makes sense. 

Offline frogger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #197 on: June 14, 2010, 08:13:07 PM »
Was using my R-44 at a BG fest this weekend and came up with a question.  At a few festivals I attend I just let it roll and divide it between bands.  I can't find a way to divide files with the R-44.  The only way I've found is to stop the recording and restart it.  Can you split tracks while recording without stopping the recording?

Thanks,
Chuck

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2010, 10:43:45 AM »
As I recall it, if you have it set to pre-record, when you press 'stop' it immediately begins pre-recording, so if you quickly press record again, you will lose nothing.  Well, my test shows you might lose a handful of samples, but you'd probably not notice, particularly between songs during applause.  Test that yourself at home and see what you think.

Offline halleyscomet8

« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2010, 12:47:39 PM »
i borrowed an r44 a few weeks ago and messed up with a setting. i was trying to go mono x4, but instead went mono4>1 or something like that. it won't open in wavelab, but cdwave opens it as a 4 channel and cant save it as 2. it has them listed l,r,f,b. anybody know if there is a way to separate these channels?
my shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/halleyscomet8
And, yes, I know I suck about getting stuff circulated.  ;)

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #200 on: June 15, 2010, 09:06:57 PM »
i borrowed an r44 a few weeks ago and messed up with a setting. i was trying to go mono x4, but instead went mono4>1 or something like that. it won't open in wavelab, but cdwave opens it as a 4 channel and cant save it as 2. it has them listed l,r,f,b. anybody know if there is a way to separate these channels?

Fostex has a free utiliy that you can find here. http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/pro_support/pro_bwf_manager.shtml
It works perfectly.

Offline frogger

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2010, 10:19:48 PM »
As I recall it, if you have it set to pre-record, when you press 'stop' it immediately begins pre-recording, so if you quickly press record again, you will lose nothing.  Well, my test shows you might lose a handful of samples, but you'd probably not notice, particularly between songs during applause.  Test that yourself at home and see what you think.

Thanks.  I was hoping for a divide or split function, guess I'll stick with the stop and restart.

Offline nOrD

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • 3LEAVES
« Reply #202 on: July 09, 2010, 01:17:50 PM »
Hi guys, I have just heard from a friend of mine who is a high-end freak that ERS paper are able to reduce unwanted electromagnetic noises. I am interested in this because when using unbalanced inputs of my R-44 there is a hearable display noise as the counter runs on it.

It would be very nice to switch off the display from menu (maybe a firmware update will resolve this question?) but since this opt is not available yet, I think to place a piece of ERS paper behind the display panel. So, does anybody would it recommend or not? If yes, which ERS I have to look for?

Thanks a lot!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #203 on: July 19, 2010, 10:12:44 AM »
Figured this would be more useful here, linked to the other thread.

Previously discussed on Team Tetramic:
Matching gains for all channels on the recorder is critical for an accurate matrix decode, so prior to recording I matched gains as closely as possible on the R-44 using a tone generator and Voltmeter, then devised a simple way to keep from accidentally adjusting the continuous center gain knobs on the R-44 channel inputs.

Finally getting around to posting a couple photos of the simple, easily reversible mod I made to 'lock' the inside gain knobs on the R-44 to avoid accidental gain changes.  Simply four Sharpie caps, cut down with a razor knife just past the little 'tit' under the clasp on the cap and pushed onto the outer, detented knobs.  It doesn't actually lock the inner knob but the hollow cap sticks out past the inner knob, preventing accidental changes.  I can still look into the end to visually confirm that the inner knobs have not changed position, and pull of a cap to adjust if necessary.

Since the caps obscure the visual indicator marks on the outer knobs, I marked them with dots of silver Sharpie at the little 'tit'.  That gives me both a visual and tactile indicator of the outer knob position, so I can confirm the knob positions in the dark.  You don't even need to sacrifice the sharpies as the cut down cap tips still fit the markers.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2010, 01:31:37 AM »
question that I haven't seen asked so that probably means its not possible.

If you are exclusively recording only on channels 1 & 2 either mono or stereo, is it possible to drop channels 3 & 4 from the display to have the meters for 1 & 2 be a little bigger?

I think the menu could use just a little work, seems pointless to have entire system menu dedicated to the operation of the speaker. I think speakers from any field recorder should be excluded to save space and for the company to focus on something else. I can't think of a single mixing console with any speaker since you have to monitor through headphones or passive/active speakers.

What's the current firmware for the r44?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2010, 05:38:13 AM »

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #206 on: August 21, 2010, 11:31:16 PM »
It would be "bit perfect" if you had chosen the same settings.  You told the deck to up the bit rate and sampling to the incoming signal.  The deck doesn't automatically do anything.  Some people up the bit rate anyway then do all their post work so that when the resample back down they have not lost any information.  After all it is only adding zeros to the 16 bit signal

I had my V3 running coax out to the R-44 both set on 24/48.

My wav forms look short and blocked off in audacity.

What am I doing wrong?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

kirk97132

« Reply #207 on: August 22, 2010, 12:09:26 PM »
anytime I have had an irregular looking wave it was either a piece of gear going bad, or I was a tthe point of overloading the mic itself IE: close mic on a bass guitar amp.  Did you have limiters on anywhere, preamp or deck? Is it on both channels?  Were you on battery power and was battery at end of life?  Maybe if you posted a screen shot some others could chime in.

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #208 on: August 22, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »
anytime I have had an irregular looking wave it was either a piece of gear going bad, or I was a tthe point of overloading the mic itself IE: close mic on a bass guitar amp.  Did you have limiters on anywhere, preamp or deck? Is it on both channels?  Were you on battery power and was battery at end of life?  Maybe if you posted a screen shot some others could chime in.

On further inspection everything looks normal except I ran a little more conservatively than I am used to.

It was my first time running the V3 and getting used to the levels. Turns out I peaked at -6.5 (24bit, so conservative was intentional but I'm not usually that low).

Any audacity suggestions to tone down the sub stacks?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline sonidista

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #209 on: September 21, 2010, 10:06:27 AM »
It's become pretty quiet here since I last checked. Is everyone selling their R-44s for the Tascam DR-680 or what? This might be off topic but maybe there should be some kind of poll to see what people think about each of the two...?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com