Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)  (Read 116327 times)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
Re: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)
« Reply #270 on: November 25, 2010, 10:58:50 PM »
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Erick del Valle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • what about this pair of stealthy mics?
« Reply #272 on: November 26, 2010, 12:21:15 AM »
Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile

Offline Erick del Valle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • what about this pair of stealthy mics?
« Reply #273 on: November 26, 2010, 12:26:20 AM »
I recently stumbled upon someone writing in another forum about the Timecode "capabilities" of the R-44. Since I haven't found anything about his point in this forum (correct me if I'm wrong) but find it quite interesting, here it is: If you record BWF files, you get a tagged freerun Timecode. With a video camera that can record freerun TC and an editing suite that can read it (Final Cut Pro and Avid can do it) you should somehow (I didn't figure out how exactly though) be able to sync all of the video with all of the audio by adjusting the audio with the video TCs (should work with any slate clap).
I opened one of the BWF files recorded with my R-44 in Quicktime, pressed Ctrl+J and activated the Timecode bar. That way I get the freerun TC (though it doesn't look like a real day time code).
This seems to be an important feature for audio for video production.

Wow I do not noticed this, can anybody confirm where is this info?

Thanks in advance!

Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile
Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #274 on: November 30, 2010, 02:20:35 PM »
I had previously reported issues getting the USBPre 2 to work with my Edirol R44.   Found out the issue was entirely on the R44 side.   I've tested my USBPre 2 with another R44 with no issues.

My R44 is on its way back home from Edirol getting the coax in fixed.   During hardware testing they found nothing wrong.   During software diagnostic testing they found a glitch that killed to coax in.   Reflashed via diagnostic testing and it's back up and running.   Glad I didn't break it but was very weird.  1st time the tech had seen that issue.   
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #275 on: November 30, 2010, 05:24:19 PM »
Did they charge for the re-flash?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #276 on: November 30, 2010, 06:13:41 PM »
Did they charge for the re-flash?

Nope.    They called explain the situation.   If it happens again they would want to send the unit to Japan.
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #277 on: November 30, 2010, 06:25:45 PM »
Cursious besides the flash media vs. hard drive, What are the differences between the R4 and R-44?  I know there is a team thread, but I though someone could give me the quick low down.  Thanks

The biggest difference, and why I upgraded to an R-44, is that you can only run two channels on the R-4 when running digital in.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #278 on: November 30, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »
Thanks Ted!  I could see that being a hassle.

Cursious besides the flash media vs. hard drive, What are the differences between the R4 and R-44?  I know there is a team thread, but I though someone could give me the quick low down.  Thanks

The biggest difference, and why I upgraded to an R-44, is that you can only run two channels on the R-4 when running digital in.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #279 on: November 30, 2010, 08:24:21 PM »
Talking about reflashing the firmware, KEEP A SD card (you know, like the small capacity cart they sent with the unit). You'll need one of the older cards to reflash a lot of the devices that use SD & SDHC cards. Not just recorders but GPS units, etc.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline iluvatar

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #280 on: January 01, 2011, 04:26:07 PM »

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the R-4 Pro can also record both digital & analog at the same time.

-Dan.
Dan Costello
Minister of Truth - Mercenary Audio
Sound Designer / Recordist - Bellyacres Productions

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #281 on: January 01, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »
correct

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the R-4 Pro can also record both digital & analog at the same time.

-Dan.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #282 on: January 01, 2011, 08:00:14 PM »
Love my R-44 but hate the level meters. Always running lower than I want. Anyone have any tricks/tips on how to more accurately read them?

I typically run 140>V3 in via SPDIF on 1 & 2 and then an analog console feed on 3 & 4.  I use the meters on my V3 for accuracy and then on the R-44 match the analog levels to [approximately] match those of my digital IN.

Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #283 on: January 02, 2011, 08:06:57 PM »
I just ran a polarity test that I should have run a long time ago--the outcome was OK (whew).

When I make four-channel recordings with my R44, generally I use a Grace Lunatec V3 preamp on the main channels because of its accurate level metering and switchable high-pass filtering. I connect the V3's S/P-DIF (coaxial digital) output to the S/P-DIF input of the R44. It occurred to me that I should make sure that the signal polarity is the same through the V3 as recording through analog inputs 3 and 4 of the R44. So this evening I made a test using an asymmetrical test signal and a splitter cable, and verified that correct polarity is maintained through both signal pathways.

My V3 is rather old, and has been back to the factory for the signal polarity fix-up that was made available several years ago. Newer V3s are produced with correct input-to-output polarity to begin with.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #284 on: January 06, 2011, 03:31:45 PM »
Does anybody have the name of a contact in the EDIROL repairs department? I have a question for them. I sent my deck to an "Authorized ROLAND repairshop" who I had gotten the info for from Roland's website for a repair on the phantom power only of my R-44, and the shop totally killed my deck. It doesn't work at all any more, won't power up or anything. I made the mistake of sending it to a ROLAND repair shop as opposed to an EDIROL repair shop I was told by an annoyed EDIROL employee when I called one time. The deck worked fine when I first brought it in, I just couldn't use the phantom power. Now this repair shop says that sometimes when they are checking a deck, when they feed it power to check it that it can fry the deck and they are not responsible for it. I say bullshit they were just supposed to work on the phantom power that's it! I mean, how can you bring a working unit to a repair shop, and they get away with totally killing it and saying that it's not their fault? Does anybody know if this can be true and if there is any precedent for this type of thing? I mean, if you brought your car into the autoshop for a repair they can't kill your car and just tell you sorry, right? Anyway, nobody here should ever send their equipment to Hi-Tech Electronics in Lawrence, MA, they have no idea what they are doing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 03:42:49 PM by Myco »
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com