Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neumann u89 swivel mount  (Read 2685 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
Neumann u89 swivel mount
« on: August 06, 2008, 11:22:44 PM »
I broke one of my u89 swivel mounts at the gathering of the vibes.  This was setting up so I was forced to rig something up with duct tape for the day.  After a quick search it looks like the Neumann u89 swivel mount runs about 130 a pop.  The mounts I have don't look like the Neumann mounts I see on line.  I think that mine are not made by Neumann.  The Neumann mounts have a knob to tighten and loosen the joint while mine have a screw that would need a coin or wide screwdriver to tighten/loosen them.  They also have a little made in Germany sticker on them.  Wondering if anyone knows where to get another one of these or another ring mount made by someone other than Neumann?  Now would the Neumann mount have broken, probably not.  But now I have to buy two of them to have a pair of the same mounts.  I am open to cheaper options.  For now I have a pair of on stage shock mounts I can run until I figure this out.  Any info would be great. 
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Neumann u89 swivel mount
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 02:02:30 PM »
I may be wrong, but this mount looks similar to the old mount the Kel HM-1's at one time used (a pair of which I used to own).  I believe Kel Audio did away with these and now use a spider shock mount, however if this old mount does fit your Neumann's, you might want to contact Kelly Dueck and see if he has any of these old mounts that he could sell you.  I would think they'd be a lot less than $130.00. (http://kelaudio.com/hm1.html)

Here's an article about the HM-1 with an interesting passage:
http://www.prorec.com/Articles/tabid/109/EntryId/279/KEL-Audio-HM-1-Condenser-Microphone.aspx

A note about the clip.  Crappy mic clips are one of my pet peeves.  The butterfly style shock mounts included with Studio Projects / Apex / Nady come to mind.  Terrible.  So I love that the HM-1 came with a mutha of a clip.  It’s the same style design Neumann uses on the TLM 103: a hoop screws to the mic bottom with about a half inch of threads, and the XLR connector mounts through the center of the hoop.  Very tight and secure, and easy to rotate for placement.  Angle adjusting is made via an oversized, knuckled thumb screw at the clip’s pivot point.  Slick.

I hope this helps.

Keith

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 09:40:22 AM »
That looks a lot like the Neumann mount.  Thanks for the info, I will email them and take a look into this. 

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:22:34 AM »
That looks a lot like the Neumann mount.  

Be careful.

All these look the same - they are all Neumann - the first is an SG87 for the U87, the second is an SG89 for the U89 and the third is an SG1 for the TLM 103, TLM 127, TLM 193 and M 147 Tube microphones.

You have to use the right one or the thread won't work (or you can damage the mic. if you try and force it).

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 08:22:14 AM »
That looks like what I had.  They are basically the same price as the SG 389.  I will probably go with the SG 89.  At first it bothers me to spend that much on a mount.  But when you think about how much the mic cost I guess it's not that bad.  Thanks again for all the info.  If anyone knows where I can get a replacement for the mount that broke let me know. 

Offline Jonathan Starr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 08:10:35 AM »
Peluso makes a nice shockmount for the U89i. They cost $90. Nathan at Atlas Pro Audio just sold me one.

Don't know if it's too big for your function.

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
I have shock mounts.  They cost me like 30$ each.  Think they are made by on stage.  Been using them since the Vibes and may keep using them until I have some extra cash. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com