Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Neumann Microphone Repair  (Read 4364 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
Neumann Microphone Repair
« on: October 27, 2007, 05:58:35 PM »
I am thinking about sending my pair of U89s out to be worked on.  Anyone out there know where to send them?  I am a little nervous this could take a long time and cost a lot of money.  Any first hand experience or recommendations would be great.  Thanks, Ed
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Still loves his mic pre's
Re: Neumann Microphone Repair
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 06:07:04 PM »
I know there are a few very good Neumann repair guys (search around a bit), but this is always a good starting point....

last link on the page...

http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=contact_distributors&cid=db_servicepoints&dbid=USA
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 06:27:24 PM »
I have already emailed Neumann and searched Neumann Repair on this forum.  Just wanted to see if anyone had other options, experience, or suggestions.  I didn't find anything on this forum about LD Neumann’s being repaired.  On each mic there is the potential of 30 different pattern, pad, roll off options.  Now if you want a pair of mics like this tested to spec and matched into a stereo pair; well it seems complicated to me.
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 06:31:13 PM »
I believe Damon sent his u89s in when he got them

I never had my serviced, sorry.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 12:34:37 PM »
airbladder, I've used Neumann USA's repair service numerous times for both large- and small-diaphragm microphones, including U 89s, with good results. I recommend them for any current-model Neumann microphone, as well as older models for which parts are still generally available (e.g. KM 84, U 67).

But I don't believe there's any such thing as having two Neumann microphones "pair matched" after the fact, short of ordering two new factory-matched capsules and having them installed. This would probably cost $1500 or more, assuming that Neumann would do it, and I doubt that it is worth the cost unless you do a lot of coincident or near-coincident recording and already need to replace both of your capsules for other reasons.

During repair work it isn't necessary to check all permutations of the analog switch settings; if you simply check each switch, the permutations take care of themselves. The three switches don't interact directly.

Generally the tech at Neumann USA performs a set of "go/no-go" diagnostic checks on any microphone's capsule. Neumann doesn't test the response precisely in the U.S.; their measurement test chambers are in Germany, so the U.S. branch would have to send every microphone back there, which of course would take several extra weeks and create enormous extra expense for all the shipping and handling.

One place in the U.S. which does expert repairs on Neumann microphones and has an acoustical test chamber is Stephen Paul Audio in California. But they don't make frequency response measurements unless there is specific cause to do so, and I believe there is an extra fee for that service. It's not quite like popping bread into a toaster.

--best regards
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 07:56:28 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 03:11:55 PM »
In the USA send it only to Sennheiser / Neumann USA.

In the UK or Ireland send it only to Sennheiser UK.

Anywhere else, send it to Neumann Berlin.

I would not send a Neumann mic. anywhere else.

Offline CQBert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 01:49:04 AM »
When I purchased my u89's a few years back I got them new....  I asked for matched and they said that they do not do that since the tollerances they are manufactured to are already within the parameters that are considered matched...  I asked next for sequentially numbered...  they said 4-6 weeks and +$250 if I had to have it...  I didn't and they were virtually identical from day one...  Waltmon has them know if you are curious about them few years down the road.

Neumann service is where I would send them unless you were planning a mod of some sort.

It may not be cheap so make sure you get a written estimate before you set them free...

CQBert
 > Missing his u89's
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 09:20:43 AM »

Would DPA do any frequency response testing of mics other than their own in the USA?

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com