Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to "wear" preamp + recorder?  (Read 27585 times)

Offline -Q-

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: How to "wear" preamp + recorder?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 11:50:53 AM »
rule number 1 is keep stealth....STEALTH
I  don't know where i'm going but i'll get there.Reid Genauer

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 12:51:58 PM »
rule number 1 is keep stealth....STEALTH

qftwtf
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

nathan_g

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 01:48:35 PM »
Fair enough, but...even the slowest of event staff would have to be aware that if someone is bringing gear in then they're gonna be carrying it in their pockets/on their person. I mean...short of concealing things...internally...there aren't really any other options.

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 04:06:02 PM »
Fair enough, but...even the slowest of event staff would have to be aware that if someone is bringing gear in then they're gonna be carrying it in their pockets/on their person. I mean...short of concealing things...internally...there aren't really any other options.

Yes, you are right, I do believe that most people could make some pretty accurate basic assumptions about pockets being involved carrying and concealing gear.  That having been said, it is probably fair to assume that the OP had concluded this as well.  From that point, all details concerning the how-to's of stealth recording really should not, in my opinion and the opinion of many others, be discussed in public.  Particularly since the OP specifically recognized that all pointers should be directed via-PM.

It is obvious that venue staff could assume that pockets are involved, but specifics about holes, microphone placement, dissemination of gear in various pockets, and the like is all information that, though it may be assumed by venue staff, there is absolutely no benefit in confirming in public.  The absolute main point to all of this dissatifaction I feel with having this conversation publicly, is that the basic cost / benefit of having it in private vs. having it in public is WAAY skewed in favor of private.... again, particularly considering that that is the medium suggested by the OP! 

I just don't see any advantage whatsoever to talking about this stuff publicly, even if a lot of it "assumable." 
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Offline canbelto

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 04:25:58 PM »
I keep my R-09HR and Church preamp together with a rubber band.  Haven't noticed any noise yet.  I carry a lightweight jacket that I keep on my lap.  As I use the remote, I just bring down to the jacket and be sure I see the red recording light come on.  I use most of the battery savings settings so the red recording light does not stay on.  My mics are Chris' croakie style with the wires down my back and out the front of my shirt.  Shirt and pants are black so it's not too noticable.  Except once, at the end of the opera, when the person sitting next to said, "Did you get it all?".

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
seriously???  ::)

can we get some Mod intervention on this thread please??  Something???

nathan_g

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 05:08:55 PM »
This thread's in danger of total derailment...

In the interests of keeping things civil, I killed the pants pic...certainly not trying to piss anybody off. That said, the whole public/private discussion of stealth has been covered ad nauseam. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. FWIW, a very brief search of old posts will quickly reveal waaaay more info on the topic than has been discussed in this thread. Very specific information...

Also, a security professional isn't going to have to troll an internet forum to learn about methods of concealment.

for example:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=50676.0

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=15920.0

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=1891.0
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:18:27 PM by nathan_g »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 06:10:58 PM »
Also, a security professional isn't going to have to troll an internet forum to learn about methods of concealment.

You're implying that it hasn't happened before, which if I remember correctly is not the case. As I understood it, part of the shift in policy from talking about it to not was due to someone getting popped and finding out that it was as a result of a discussion here. I took a break from taping (and TS), and remember the shift was during that break so I'm a little fuzzy as to the exact reason.

Really, what the OP (and anyone stealth taping) needs to learn is general human behavior, and then observe security for a while (not necessarily at the same show or club, just in general). Creative and intellegent people will find the holes in what security does and their general behavior that enables them to get gear past the door. After that, it's general concealment. Don't wait till "the big gig" to learn, practice at smaller stuff after learning about human behavior.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

nathan_g

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 06:35:33 PM »
You're implying that it hasn't happened before

Not so much that it hasn't happened before but that a trained security goon will already be very familiar with methods of concealment in general. I've never had any problems with security myself...I just hand over my ticket, they tear it and I go to my seat. My gear is no more concealed than my wallet and keys. OTOH, I don't go to shows where pat downs and wanding take place.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 06:36:58 PM »
Just as long as we aren't talking about specific shows I don't see a problem. I know where to hide things were "the man" won't find anything. It's not rocket science. Venue security can only pat down part of your person. Figure out where they can't do a pat down and your golden.

As for placement. Make it comfortable. Mics higher = better.

Practice setting up at home. Over time you will learn your own way to do things. Do what works for you.

As others have said...practice at smaller shows. Maybe even practice at open taping shows.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Seth01

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 10:18:46 PM »
I keep my R-09HR and Church preamp together with a rubber band.  Haven't noticed any noise yet.

I do the same thing and have not noticed any kind of diginoise.
Mics: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14 cards, CA-11 omnis, CAFS, Naiant X-X omnis, AT853 cards (with 4.7k mod)
Pres: Naiant Bigbox, CA-9100, CA-UGLY, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Sony M-10, Zoom H4n, Edirol R-09 (retired)
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 10:31:33 PM »
This thread's in danger of total derailment...

Understood... in the interest of keeping the peace, let's just keep this topic on subject by appeasing OP's request to reply via-PM.  I just wrote him a dissertation over 1,000 words long with 4 hand-made graphics which covers, in great detail, one of my methods, and I'm hoping that from this point on people will be kind enough to appease those of us who think that this sort of thing should be kept on the hush by replying to the OP in the PM realm.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:38:21 PM by travelinbeat »

Offline SpokenMagicSpells

• Taperssection Regular
    • Hurbanoide
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 06:14:03 AM »
Hi!

I would like to thank everybody who did reply to this question, and specially to "travelinbeat" that sent me a very good PM with lots of good information. I talk with you later... :-)

For other hand, I'm really sorry for the trouble I caused. Anyhow, how do all of you expect that this kind of subject be discussed in private if I don't make the question in public?

Should I send a PM to everyone that seems "sympathetic" to me? PM is a one-to-one conversation, with zero interaction with the community...

This is not the first time that this kind of subject is treated this way, so I think we should create some means to discuss this matter in group, but no publicly. Is this possible?

Thanks.
Hey DC++ hub owners: SHN is dying... Go FLAC!

[ RIG: CA-11 (cards) || CA-14 (cards & omnis) || CAFS-OMNI || AT853 (cards & omnis) > ST-9100 > EDIROL R09-HR (24bit/96KHz always!) ]

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 08:48:59 AM »

Should I send a PM to everyone that seems "sympathetic" to me? PM is a one-to-one conversation, with zero interaction with the community...

this
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

stevetoney

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 10:21:04 AM »
Travelinbeat.  I tried to be a good guy and play the 'don't talk about stealth in public thing' and I also tried to remind people to keep stealth stealth.  For maybe three years I carried the baton.  Bottom line is I just don't care anymore.  Too many people jumped my bones.  Mainly the response was that there are plenty of legitimate reasons to stealth and lots of people that stealth aren't trying to cheat policy. 

Thanks for trying to hold the fort...I commend you.  I'd join in and support you but again, I just don't really care anymore because it's a losing battle, IMHO.  Besides, honestly I really haven't seen a case where stealth discussion here on ts.com has caused any issues...other than arguments among ts.com members.  It's not like clubs are monitoring ts.com to discover methods of stealthing.

Having said this, to the OP, during the winter a hoodie with a hole on the inside of the belly pocket is the best thing I've ever used.  Gives you two hands to work with and the hood helps with keeping wires covered up.  A kangol ventair model hat, velcro, and a sewing machine are also good to get to know.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com