Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: need help synching AUD/SBD sources...Sample inside....  (Read 6636 times)

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
need help synching AUD/SBD sources...Sample inside....
« on: January 25, 2010, 12:31:18 PM »
so, last week I ran one mono SBD line (XLR left) and i ran one mic (XLR right) into my UA-5. there was a small bit of lantency between the sources. I have mixed a sample down to 2 tracks, If anyone has a sec to check it out, and see if its on or not. Seems like it is to me, but I think Ive listened to it to many times, and Im starting to go a lil cuckoo!

linky: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JJEPYR16
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:32:55 PM by mikesalvo »
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: need help synching AUD/SBD sources...Sample inside....
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 12:50:43 PM »
Have you tried stretching one of the sources to match the other in a program like Vegas?  It's really easy to do and I would try it myself with your files except that I'm at work right now.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 01:23:54 PM »
so, last week I ran one mono SBD line (XLR left) and i ran one mic (XLR right) into my UA-5. there was a small bit of lantency between the sources. I have mixed a sample down to 2 tracks, If anyone has a sec to check it out, and see if its on or not. Seems like it is to me, but I think Ive listened to it to many times, and Im starting to go a lil cuckoo!

FWIW I just posted a related question in "Computer Related Help" that might interest you.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 01:24:42 PM »
Have you tried stretching one of the sources to match the other in a program like Vegas?  It's really easy to do and I would try it myself with your files except that I'm at work right now.

im using Audacity. I stretched the sources out.I think theyre fine. Just need a second opinion. its one of those things, where I have listened to it so many times, that i cant anymore. the wave forms look fine, but like I said, just need a second opinion...
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 01:25:09 PM »

I am at work also but I would say if your mic was more then 20' away from the stage you will need to stretch. The easiest way to tell (a least for me) is to listen to banter from the singer and listen for reverb or pick a lone cymbal hit and see if the timing is right ;)
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 01:41:50 PM »
im using Audacity. I stretched the sources out.I think theyre fine. Just need a second opinion. its one of those things, where I have listened to it so many times, that i cant anymore. the wave forms look fine, but like I said, just need a second opinion...

Oh I see, yeah I've been in that situation a lot before.  The best way to be sure, in a really OCD way, is to check periodically throughout a show for single snare drum beats or better yet, the drummer 'timing intros' where he hits the sticks together (click click click click) at the start of a song.  Those will almost always be off if it's not timed properly and are great to use because they tend to be isolated sounds before the song starts.  If you check those in the beginning, middle, and end, and they're all perfectly single clicks, then you are good to go.  Timing with other sounds works too but is less precise, in my experience.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 01:42:57 PM »

Oh I see, yeah I've been in that situation a lot before.  The best way to be sure, in a really OCD way, is to check periodically throughout a show for single snare drum beats or better yet, the drummer 'timing intros' where he hits the sticks together (click click click click).  Those will almost always be off if it's not timed properly and are great to use because they tend to be isolated sounds before the song starts.  If you check those in the beginning, middle, and end, and they're all perfectly single clicks, then you are good to go.  Timing with other sounds works too but is less precise, in my experience.

you beat me to it by seconds... drum cracks are what I base most of my timings off of when doing post-mixes.

If they both ran into a UA-5, why stretch and not just shift? They should be all on the same clock which is the big problem related to stretching/shrinking. If it's just delay, then shift it.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 02:15:40 PM »
IMO it doesn't require mega-close listening.  If you hear extra reverb in the mixdown, the sources aren't aligned well enough.  If you don't then you've aligned them well enough to do the final mixdown.  One of the key points here is that all of our ambient recordings have some amount of natural decay that's caused by the room.  If your mixdown is tight enough that it doesn't sound like there's any more added reverb caused by the two sources being out of synch...any more than was already there because of the room, then you're there!

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »

Oh I see, yeah I've been in that situation a lot before.  The best way to be sure, in a really OCD way, is to check periodically throughout a show for single snare drum beats or better yet, the drummer 'timing intros' where he hits the sticks together (click click click click).  Those will almost always be off if it's not timed properly and are great to use because they tend to be isolated sounds before the song starts.  If you check those in the beginning, middle, and end, and they're all perfectly single clicks, then you are good to go.  Timing with other sounds works too but is less precise, in my experience.

you beat me to it by seconds... drum cracks are what I base most of my timings off of when doing post-mixes.

If they both ran into a UA-5, why stretch and not just shift? They should be all on the same clock which is the big problem related to stretching/shrinking. If it's just delay, then shift it.

He must not have been running two bitbuckets on the output, or perhaps one source was from the digital outs and one from analog.

Offline strangetapes

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 02:28:19 PM »
Forgive me if I've got this wrong, but you do know how to sync the recordings and are just looking for someone to listen to it with fresh ears to see if it sounds right.  Unfortunately I don't have the ability to download the sample and listen to it, but hopefully someone will just give it a listen and verify that you've got it right.  Good luck.
Neumann SKM 184's; Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4
V3
SD722; R44

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 02:57:25 PM »
Forgive me if I've got this wrong, but you do know how to sync the recordings and are just looking for someone to listen to it with fresh ears to see if it sounds right.  Unfortunately I don't have the ability to download the sample and listen to it, but hopefully someone will just give it a listen and verify that you've got it right.  Good luck.

No...I think you've got it right.  But on ts.com we like to talk about it for six or seven pages first.  Listening in order to resolve this in one or two responses is just too easy.   ;)  :D  ;)  :P

LOL...I'm at work too and I'm blocked from sites such as megaupload.

Q: How many tapers does it take to get a Phish show recorded.
A: 100...one to make the first source that gets torrented exactly 5 minutes after the show ends (which 10 million people download from that point forward) and 99 others from the people that actually sleep at night.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 03:05:24 PM by tonedeaf »

easy jim

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 03:24:57 PM »

^ what he said.  Unless two different recorders were used to capture, with two different internal clocks, you should NEVER stretch...only shift. 

There will always be some delay between SBD and AUD tracks, even if the mics were on stage, due to the differences in distance between the AUD mics and the sound sources and the inputs/mics used by the FOH engineer and sound sources.  The direct inputs will be at the speed of electricity and stage mics used by the FOH will be within an inch or two of the sound sources for the SBD feed, while even stage lip mics will be a minimum of a few feet from any sound source and room mics much further back.  This delay is corrected by shifting the SBD track(s) later in time until they match up with the AUD track(s).

Drift ALWAYS occurs (though it may be minimal in rare cases and not need correction) when you use two different digital recorders with different internal clocks that are not synced together.  The different clocks have a slightly different a level of accuracy in keeping time, and that difference results in increasing delay at a constant rate over the course of a recorded track. Stretching one of the sources is the best way to accurately correct the delay that results from the drift between the clocks.  The chop and re-align approach many use is sloppy and inaccurate, and does not actually fix the delay at the end of each chopped segment.  This results in the end of tracks being off, and parts being potentially out of phase with comb filtering effects as the drift of the clocks brings the two sources out of sync during the course of each segment.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 03:28:39 PM »
I learned a lot from this thread that I was never quite clear on (thanks!), especially that I should be in the market for a 744T.  :P

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 03:41:54 PM »
I learned a lot from this thread that I was never quite clear on (thanks!), especially that I should be in the market for a 744T.  :P

Or make friends with folks who have 702/722s (cause you can easily slave the other unit off of your clock to eliminate any clocking inconsistancies).

Thats the real benefit of having a Word clock IN/OUT and bit-perfect digital connections (or ability to pull a SPDIF signal and interpret it as though it were a Word Clock signal). If you don't, then when you join 3 recorders together and 1 of them resamples a digital in based on it's internal clock, then recorders A and B will be mixable, but recorder C won't cause it's material is off of a seperate clock. Thats when you get into stretching and all sorts of other tricks to get it to work. If you used C as the master, and slaved off of it, then pending a seriously poor designed output, all three would be accurate in relationship to each other.

No...I think you've got it right.  But on ts.com we like to talk about it for six or seven pages first.  Listening in order to resolve this in one or two responses is just too easy.   ;)  :D  ;)  :P

qft

He must not have been running two bitbuckets on the output, or perhaps one source was from the digital outs and one from analog.

I swear he said he ran 1 channel as sbd and 1 as audience through a single UA-5.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 03:52:40 PM »
so, last week I ran one mono SBD line (XLR left) and i ran one mic (XLR right) into my UA-5.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com