Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: On stage mic positioning?  (Read 24924 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: On stage mic positioning?
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2007, 11:10:11 PM »

This argument is over no one gets my point so I am taking my toys and going home.. ;)

But only after 4 more posts and a bunch of name dropping....          ::)

I don't get your point actually... Name dropping like I am bragging or something is that what you mean?

LOL me Bragg that's funny.... I am the last person who Bragg's about the gigs I have done. I think you have be all wrong here.  :P

modified for post recount
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2007, 11:20:03 PM »
I don't get your point actually... Name dropping like I am bragging or something is that what you mean?

LOL me Bragg that's funny.... I am the last person who Bragg's about the gigs I have done.

Lionel Richie
David Morgan
Steely Dan
Paul Simon
Bette Midler
and Many more

nah, no names there.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2007, 11:28:42 PM »

LOL me Bragg that's funny.... I am the last person who Bragg's about the gigs I have done.

Lionel Richie
David Morgan
Steely Dan
Paul Simon
Bette Midler
and Many more

nah, no names there.

Yah and I have done sound for NONE OF THEM! lol whats your point, maybe some people would be interested in knowing who and what I have done. Or maybe some people would be interested in knowing the guys name that does sound for these bands, so that when they hear the sound of the band in question they will know who's behind the console. Or would you rather just tape his show and no know who it is you should thank for your high quality recording in the first place? you little shit... I am done, say what you want this has gone into the realm of being personal. I will not go there. Mr Midas->Klark Teknik->Meyer Sound like that's not bragging lol Here's a hint no one uses Klark anymore its OLD SCHOOL. So if you really want to show off your brand name knowledge try using a name like Lake audio....
 :gun:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 11:31:37 PM by Church-Audio »

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2007, 02:37:43 AM »
w/o quoting, i find it funny that the later replies included wanting to hear a ROCK band w/ vocals recorded on stage, where it was clearly stated that recording vocals was never the plan when recording onstage.

I was talking about a rock band from the beginning of this thread.... When someone points out a three peace band with no vocals, A moron could get the balance right on stage with very little problems... So its a unfair comparison. I am and always was talking about a ROCK band or a situation where everything is going thru a PA system and a monitor system on stage and it sounds good out front....

It's sad that I have to quote you your own words so many times, but here it is again:

I personally do not know why ANYONE would run a onstage mic for a amplified performance the sound on stage always sucks! I mean I have spent 20 years as a live sound engineer I have done both monitors and front of house and in all my years I have heard maybe one or two shows that sounded really good on stage with a great balance. So IMO lose the on stage mics

There's no mention of "just rock bands with high quality sound systems and great engineers" anywhere in there. In fact, the blanket statement "So IMO lose the on stage mics " leaves NO ROOM for exceptions at all.

If you don't have vocals and you don't have a PA how else are you going to take the show but on stage lol?????

I think some people think I don't get the point of stage taping. I mean do you think there is a situation I have not been thru in 20 years as a sound engineer working with the bands I have worked with?? where I would not understand a pretty basic principal of recording a live performance....

But, in your 20 years, apparently, there were only ONE or TWO shows where the stage sounded good (and one of those was apparently Bon Jovi, who the hell here is comtemplating a stage tape of Bon Jovi?!?), and that we should lose the stage mics.  That's your words. Now, you're backtracking and saying you HAVE run across those situations and you DO understand where there is a good use for it.  Which is it?

Oh of course you do because you don't respect me, why because its easier for people to throw shit then to throw complements or just listen to new ideas... Right?  

Doctor, heal thyself.  You're the one who was telling us to "lose the stage mics" and won't listen to new ideas when we point out valid exceptions.

Every single time I say something about live sound and about shows and try to help people around here it gets cut down.

Does that happen to everyone here or just you?  Maybe you should consider why just your ideas get cut down.

Why cant we respect peoples ideas I respect the fact that stage taping is necessary for some shows and its the only solution when the PA SUCKS or is none existent.

Again, how does "lose the stage mics" in any way acknowledge that stage taping is necessary in some circumstances?!?

Believe what you will twist my words. I am just giving an opinion I asked someone to prove me wrong all you guys can do is point out discrepancies in my words SHOW ME THE GREAT STAGE RECORDING!!!.... prove me wrong with stage recording that sounds as good as a good out front mix and I will say I was wrong....

I did.  I provided an example, which you've still never addressed.  Of the two JHB recordings that I linked, which is better?  I don't care whether it's better than the best audience tape that you've ever heard, I'm talking about this particular situation where there are two recordings in the same venue with the same band, same PA, same mics, and same gear.  If we should "lose the stage mics", there should be NO situations where the stage recording is better.  In this case, is the stage recording better?  If not, I'd love to hear your reasons why, because it is better in every way.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2007, 04:34:16 AM »
w/o quoting, i find it funny that the later replies included wanting to hear a ROCK band w/ vocals recorded on stage, where it was clearly stated that recording vocals was never the plan when recording onstage.

I was talking about a rock band from the beginning of this thread.... When someone points out a three peace band with no vocals, A moron could get the balance right on stage with very little problems... So its a unfair comparison. I am and always was talking about a ROCK band or a situation where everything is going thru a PA system and a monitor system on stage and it sounds good out front....

It's sad that I have to quote you your own words so many times, but here it is again:

I personally do not know why ANYONE would run a onstage mic for a amplified performance the sound on stage always sucks! I mean I have spent 20 years as a live sound engineer I have done both monitors and front of house and in all my years I have heard maybe one or two shows that sounded really good on stage with a great balance. So IMO lose the on stage mics

There's no mention of "just rock bands with high quality sound systems and great engineers" anywhere in there. In fact, the blanket statement "So IMO lose the on stage mics " leaves NO ROOM for exceptions at all.

If you don't have vocals and you don't have a PA how else are you going to take the show but on stage lol?????

I think some people think I don't get the point of stage taping. I mean do you think there is a situation I have not been thru in 20 years as a sound engineer working with the bands I have worked with?? where I would not understand a pretty basic principal of recording a live performance....

But, in your 20 years, apparently, there were only ONE or TWO shows where the stage sounded good (and one of those was apparently Bon Jovi, who the hell here is comtemplating a stage tape of Bon Jovi?!?), and that we should lose the stage mics.  That's your words. Now, you're backtracking and saying you HAVE run across those situations and you DO understand where there is a good use for it.  Which is it?

Oh of course you do because you don't respect me, why because its easier for people to throw shit then to throw complements or just listen to new ideas... Right?  

Doctor, heal thyself.  You're the one who was telling us to "lose the stage mics" and won't listen to new ideas when we point out valid exceptions.

Every single time I say something about live sound and about shows and try to help people around here it gets cut down.

Does that happen to everyone here or just you?  Maybe you should consider why just your ideas get cut down.

Why cant we respect peoples ideas I respect the fact that stage taping is necessary for some shows and its the only solution when the PA SUCKS or is none existent.

Again, how does "lose the stage mics" in any way acknowledge that stage taping is necessary in some circumstances?!?

Believe what you will twist my words. I am just giving an opinion I asked someone to prove me wrong all you guys can do is point out discrepancies in my words SHOW ME THE GREAT STAGE RECORDING!!!.... prove me wrong with stage recording that sounds as good as a good out front mix and I will say I was wrong....

I did.  I provided an example, which you've still never addressed.  Of the two JHB recordings that I linked, which is better?  I don't care whether it's better than the best audience tape that you've ever heard, I'm talking about this particular situation where there are two recordings in the same venue with the same band, same PA, same mics, and same gear.  If we should "lose the stage mics", there should be NO situations where the stage recording is better.  In this case, is the stage recording better?  If not, I'd love to hear your reasons why, because it is better in every way.

I think this descussion is done.

I am wrong you are 100% correct I should not have posted anything about stage sound as I dont really know what I am talking about.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2007, 08:02:13 AM »
why do i get the feeling that this discussion is not really done?
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2007, 10:27:22 AM »
I think this descussion is done.

I am wrong you are 100% correct I should not have posted anything about stage sound as I dont really know what I am talking about.

Thank you.  That's all I need.  I am done with this discussion as well.

Offline pilgrims622

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2007, 12:55:23 PM »
a good stage recording ANY stage recording will not be as good as a GOOD room recording..

And so far no one has been able to show me a good recording. That sounds even close to a good out front recording.. So I guess my point has been made..

not trying to keep this argument going...thought I share an example of my onstage and someones elses room recording

here ya go...
my onstage source...http://www.archive.org/details/tlg2006-03-17.4micmix.flac16
someone elses room recording...http://www.archive.org/details/tlg_2006-03-17.c34.flac16
Neumann km140
Sound Devices 722

Offline baustin

« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2007, 08:42:49 PM »
gonna try to run onstage neumann u89i's tonight with a sbd feed for tishamingo tonight. not quite the same, but i like it!  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com