Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVD-Audio and SACD  (Read 5585 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
DVD-Audio and SACD
« on: May 28, 2019, 11:52:46 AM »
Over the weekend I grabbed some DVD-AUDIO discs and SACD discs at an estate sale for cheap. Believe it or not I still have a Denon 2910 in my 2 channel setup. I used to use it for playback of 24 bit stuff that I would archive to DVD-A. I can’t remember the last time I fired it up before this past weekend. I put on a commercial source and nothing. No sound. I have the Denon connected to my receiver via optical cable. I grabbed one of my recordings and it played fine like it always did. So after some googling I found that the only way to listen to commercial stuff is to use the analog outs on the Denon. Some copyright issues. ::)

Any work around? Is this it? Is this why both formats are dead? Or is listening via analog outs no big deal. I don’t get it.  :help:

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: DVD-Audio and SACD
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 12:09:10 PM »
Over the weekend I grabbed some DVD-AUDIO discs and SACD discs at an estate sale for cheap. Believe it or not I still have a Denon 2910 in my 2 channel setup. I used to use it for playback of 24 bit stuff that I would archive to DVD-A. I can’t remember the last time I fired it up before this past weekend. I put on a commercial source and nothing. No sound. I have the Denon connected to my receiver via optical cable. I grabbed one of my recordings and it played fine like it always did. So after some googling I found that the only way to listen to commercial stuff is to use the analog outs on the Denon. Some copyright issues. ::)

Any work around? Is this it? Is this why both formats are dead? Or is listening via analog outs no big deal. I don’t get it.  :help:

It's possible to rip these and then listen to the rips however you want.  I have a player that will do it but I haven't gotten around to giving it a whirl yet.  They can be found fairly cheap and some quick Googling will give you the specific models to look for (as well as how-to guides).  That's one possible solution, at least.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 12:09:25 PM »
I have an older Marantz player with DVD audio and SACD playback. I bought a new receiver recently and I also forgot about the analog out only for these formats when I tried some DVD audio disks. Same result, silence. If I recall correctly that was all about the copy protection and that the only way to play back was through analog. Luckily I only have a few DVD audio disks so wasn't a big deal for me.

Offline ts

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 01:30:24 PM »
I have an older Marantz player with DVD audio and SACD playback. I bought a new receiver recently and I also forgot about the analog out only for these formats when I tried some DVD audio disks. Same result, silence. If I recall correctly that was all about the copy protection and that the only way to play back was through analog. Luckily I only have a few DVD audio disks so wasn't a big deal for me.

What about HDMI as long as the receiver has it. My receiver does not have HDMI but an adapter could fix that. Will HDMI pass the signal?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 06:17:08 PM by ts »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 02:07:59 PM »
What about HDMI as long as the receiver has it. My r over does not have HDMI but an adapter could fix that. Will HDMI pass the signal?
HDMI supports HDCP copyright restricting tech on video, so I doubt it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline heathen

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 02:41:18 PM »
If you want a player that will send the actual data signal (DSD, etc) you have to pay a pretty penny: https://www.psaudio.com/products/directstream-memory-player/
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 10:58:07 PM »
on a 2910 you need to use the analog outs.

3910 has hdmi (audio for DVD-V or 24/48 DVD-A) and D.Link (digital PCM for DVD-A, DSD for SACD, etc) - to get these to work you need to update to the latest firmware - note that it does support DSD and PCM over Firewire on older firmwares

Nothing is passed on the optical or coax outs on these units above 16/48 from what I remember

I have a 3910 that I grabbed at an estate sale and run it analog 5.1 to a marantz reciever without issue for SACD and DVD-Audio stereo and multichannel

I ran D'Link to a 3808ci beforehand without issue

I am going to grab a Marantz UD5007 at somepoint - this unit supports multichannel DSD SACD and multichannel DVD-A (high bitrate) over HDMI that would mate nicely with my Marantz reciever - used they sell in the $150-300 range
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 11:04:10 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline ts

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 11:59:21 AM »

3910 has hdmi (audio for DVD-V or 24/48 DVD-A) and D.Link (digital PCM for DVD-A, DSD for SACD, etc) - to get these to work you need to update to the latest firmware - note that it does support DSD and PCM over Firewire on older firmwares

Nothing is passed on the optical or coax outs on these units above 16/48 from what I remember

I have a 3910 that I grabbed at an estate sale and run it analog 5.1 to a marantz reciever without issue for SACD and DVD-Audio stereo and multichannel

I am going to grab a Marantz UD5007 at somepoint - this unit supports multichannel DSD SACD and multichannel DVD-A (high bitrate) over HDMI that would mate nicely with my Marantz reciever - used they sell in the $150-300 range

Thanks H2O. So for us technologically impaired, since my integrated does not have HDMI I’m basically stuck with analog outs or would a HDMI to optical converter work? That Marantz is certainly not out of the question price wise, but I’m not really looking to replace my integrated and I could easily lose the 2910.

Offline heathen

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 12:15:08 PM »

Thanks H2O. So for us technologically impaired, since my integrated does not have HDMI I’m basically stuck with analog outs or would a HDMI to optical converter work? That Marantz is certainly not out of the question price wise, but I’m not really looking to replace my integrated and I could easily lose the 2910.

Either way you're still going to be using the DAC in your player, and if you go optical out from your Denon you'll end up going through two DACs because the "raw" SACD/DVD-A data won't be coming out of your Denon.  It'll be Denon DAC > optical/HDMI > integrated amp's DAC.  You could try both and see what sounds best to you, but personally I wouldn't be inclined to add another DAC into the mix.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 03:36:09 PM »
Either way you're still going to be using the DAC in your player, and if you go optical out from your Denon you'll end up going through two DACs because the "raw" SACD/DVD-A data won't be coming out of your Denon.  It'll be Denon DAC > optical/HDMI > integrated amp's DAC.  You could try both and see what sounds best to you, but personally I wouldn't be inclined to add another DAC into the mix.

This is correct - it all depends on where you want to convert from digital to analog.  Also you need to understand your receiver as if you run analog you want to make sure your receiver is pushing the signal directly to the amplifier circuit instead of going through the AD-DA for processing.  Many receivers have a feature or setting to do this - in the Denon/Marantz world they call it Pure Direct (although this term is used more generally as in no processing of the signal before the amp section). 

In general passing the DSD or PCM over HDMI can simplify your cabling but depending on the DAC in your Receiver it may sound different.

Many receivers don't support DSD over HDMI and DSD is only now being supported with DoP on Toslink or Coax SPDIF - No receivers I have heard of support DoP though.  There are HDMI Audio strippers and inserters but all that I have seen seem to be intended to handle situations where your equipment can't handle audio on HDMI - they may not be designed to handle hi bitrate audio.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 03:39:24 PM by H₂O »
LMA Recordings

List

Offline ts

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 05:07:31 PM »
Would this work:

http://www.ambery.com/hdautodisand.html

Looks like I can run that Marantz HDMI out thru this box using the coax spdif out into coax input on my receiver.

Offline heathen

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 05:43:39 PM »
Would this work:

Looks like I can run that Marantz HDMI out thru this box using the coax spdif out into coax input on my receiver.

Check this out: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sacd-cd-bd-connection-to-preamp-question.340785/

Offline ts

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 06:09:52 PM »
Would this work:

Check this out: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sacd-cd-bd-connection-to-preamp-question.340785/

Ha ha. That’s funny. The guy is just like me. Doesn’t want to use analog outs when he has a perfectly fine digital input on his receiver. I guess we both don’t get it. :facepalm:

Offline heathen

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 09:30:11 PM »
Yeah, these are the type of bizarre problems that arise from proprietary formats.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 11:31:01 AM »
Would this work:

Doubt it would support higher res audio then 24-48 - it doesn't state what bit and sampling rates it can support and it's 2 channel PCM - it does support PCM derived compressed surround formats such as DTS, etc)

These units are typically meant for bandaids not high res audio playback

The analog outs on your 2910 should be fine for playback is there a reason you want to use digital?
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com