Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 release information  (Read 110447 times)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings
Re: Edirol R-09 release information
« Reply #285 on: July 09, 2006, 08:05:13 PM »
Well, I've tried a Patriot 4GB card and a pqi 4GB card, both formatted on pc and neither worked in the r-09.  Format the card, put it in the r-09 and it said "no card", showed -230 mb available and couldn't be formatted in the r-09.  Fry's was out of the transcend card otherwise I would have tried that one.

Good know. Thanks Drew! Anyone having luck with 4GB cards yet? If so what are you using?
Retired Taper

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #286 on: July 09, 2006, 08:21:49 PM »
Well, I've tried a Patriot 4GB card and a pqi 4GB card, both formatted on pc and neither worked in the r-09.  Format the card, put it in the r-09 and it said "no card", showed -230 mb available and couldn't be formatted in the r-09.  Fry's was out of the transcend card otherwise I would have tried that one.

Good know. Thanks Drew! Anyone having luck with 4GB cards yet? If so what are you using?

have either of you read this whole thread?  Its in there!

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #287 on: July 09, 2006, 08:58:54 PM »

It's in th3re??!!  OMFG, it's iN there??!!  THat's so kewl!!!!!!!11111!!! 

Dude, fucking relax.  I was just listing some cards that didn't work.   ::)   

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #288 on: July 09, 2006, 09:02:38 PM »

It's in th3re??!!  OMFG, it's iN there??!!  THat's so kewl!!!!!!!11111!!! 

Dude, fucking relax.  I was just listing some cards that didn't work.   ::)   

whose not relaxed?   Read your response and let me know.  I was trying to help.....

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #289 on: July 10, 2006, 08:59:58 AM »
Trancend 4GB SD card arrived Friday.  As reported by others my R-09 recognized the card and showed available recording time of 3 hours 50-some minutes when set to 24/48 (though it reported the card size as -512MB or something, I can't remember exactly).  I could format the card using both a built-in card reader in a cheapo $500 Compaq laptop (XP Home) and a $9 thumb-drive type card reader (XP Pro).  I recorded about 500MB worth in 5 files, which played back fine.  I could delete files from the card using the R-09 menu.

I then attempted to format the card on the R-09 and as reported it became unreadable by the R-09.  Tried to format on the laptop but it would not recognize the card either.  Brought the card into work this morning and my work machine (Dell - XP Pro + $9 keychain USB flashdrive type reader) could read the card and the 5 files were still intact.  Transfered the 500MB to the desktop in about 8 or 9 min. & formated (FAT32 - 3.85GB took about 1 min.)  I'll try the card again in the R-09 again tonight when I get home.

I had thought I would need to download the utility mentioned to recognize the card again and format here at work (no online service at home currently) but was happily suprised that this machine recognized the card.  Since I plan on using the laptop to off-load from the card in the field, I'll just have to make sure I don't try and format the card from the recorder until a firmware update that addresses this 4GB issue.  I also plan on downloading the utiliy to see if it works to recover the card using the laptop.  That'll be the next test..

(edited for typo's)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 09:11:27 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #290 on: July 10, 2006, 10:32:27 AM »
Has anyone who is using a 4gb card let their R-09 record over the 2gb limit? Does it stop at 2gb? Does it stop and restart a recording?
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #291 on: July 10, 2006, 10:54:07 AM »
Has anyone who is using a 4gb card let their R-09 record over the 2gb limit? Does it stop at 2gb? Does it stop and restart a recording?
dB-

I'll try it tonight.. not certain, but I think someone reported that it stopped recording at 2GB and saved the file, but did not start a new one.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #292 on: July 10, 2006, 01:29:35 PM »
FWIW, I have only had to format my 4GB card once.  Deleting the files after recording (either on the r09 or via mount) seems to work fine.

I had to reformat the 4GB CF on my R1 before every show instead of just deleting the files, otherwise the recording would stop unpredictably.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #293 on: July 10, 2006, 01:43:09 PM »
Glad someone can benefit from it. I had the first R1 from my retailer and botched 3 shows due to this unknown requirement. I never got any response from anyone at Edirol but luckily someone here knew that was the culprit.

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #294 on: July 10, 2006, 04:14:49 PM »
Glad someone can benefit from it. I had the first R1 from my retailer and botched 3 shows due to this unknown requirement. I never got any response from anyone at Edirol but luckily someone here knew that was the culprit.

If you had to re-format before every show, did that mean you had the probability of botching a recording if you recorded two bands on the same card. Such as an opening band and then a headliner.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline gewwang

« Reply #295 on: July 10, 2006, 04:23:16 PM »

If you had to re-format before every show, did that mean you had the probability of botching a recording if you recorded two bands on the same card. Such as an opening band and then a headliner.
dB-

The way I believe it worked was - the first show I taped a 45 minute opener and then a 90 min main set and 30 min encore (Rose Hill Drive/Black Crowes). Went home copied files off, deleted files, but didn't format the card. The next show, I didn't exceed the total time of the previous show (165 min), so I didn't have a problem with a recording stopping. But the show after that after not formating again, I taped a 2 hr main set, stopped and started the 2nd file and the R1 just stopped recording at the 45 min mark which happened to be around the 165 min mark that coincided with the total time of the 1st show. After multiple attempts to restart the recording, the R1 would just stop again after writing out a few seconds.

So I think by deleting the files and not doing the format, I was restricting the total time/space on the card to the total time/space used by the original set of files that I deleted.

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #296 on: July 10, 2006, 04:36:21 PM »

gewwang:  you were critical in my understanding of the r01....thanks!

You are a real asset and groundbreaker when it comes to stealth recording and I for one appreciate and respect all your efforts.  Thank you for all the great information.

dd

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #297 on: July 10, 2006, 04:50:50 PM »
So I think by deleting the files and not doing the format, I was restricting the total time/space on the card to the total time/space used by the original set of files that I deleted.

I am definitely not seeing that with the r09.

So far after only the initial format I have recorded 7 nights of mostly 2-3 hour shows at 24/44 on the same 4gb card.

Nearly all of my deletes were done via the r09 menu. I had one file get locked somehow (permissions, may have been my fault) and I deleted that one from linux (I don't normally use windows for xfers).  So maybe it is different if the deletes are done via the r09 vs. a PC.  I suppose it could be if the unit is unplugged suddenly and windows doesn't complete the update.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #298 on: July 10, 2006, 10:06:54 PM »
I had to reformat the 4GB CF on my R1 before every show instead of just deleting the files, otherwise the recording would stop unpredictably.

I am not sure why I have had no problems on my 8gb Transcend CF card in my R1.

I do a MS Windows "file move" from the card to the PC via a USB card reader, and I have had no problems for more than a dozen shows.

May be luck, or may be the fact that I am moving not copy/deleting files?  I wonder if it makes a difference

Offline gewwang

« Reply #299 on: July 11, 2006, 11:09:22 AM »

I am not sure why I have had no problems on my 8gb Transcend CF card in my R1.

I do a MS Windows "file move" from the card to the PC via a USB card reader, and I have had no problems for more than a dozen shows.

May be luck, or may be the fact that I am moving not copy/deleting files?  I wonder if it makes a difference

Actually, that's what I meant by deleting. Connecting the R1 via USB and dragging and dropping the files from the F: drive to the internal drive on the laptop.

That's awesome that you haven't lost a show yet without the CF format.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com