Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Attaching monopod to a clamp  (Read 3819 times)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: Attaching monopod to a clamp
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2022, 06:05:59 PM »
On an unrelated note re: rapid adapters, it'd be great if there was one with a semi-circular concave "shoe" at the end of the screw to better press against the 5/8" stud. I always feel like I need to over-tighten them and end up damaging the studs.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2022, 06:23:10 PM »
super clamp, articulating arm and a matthews is tough to beat setup. i love mine and use it any chance I can if i dont have to use a stand
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2022, 06:56:47 PM »
Happy to see another Savior Clamp user here! As you've already discovered, it's far superior in gripping ability to the SuperClamp with double the load capacity (same on both points compared to the Quick Release Clamp) so you definitely want to continue to use that as your foundation.

As a couple other people suggested, ditch the monopod and use a proper extension pole like the 099B and a 5/8" stud that pops into your clamp socket. I use this combo frequently.

If you need angle adjustment, put your ballhead at the top, or I like the Posi-Lok clutch because it has zero chance of slipping. It just needs adapters at both ends - 3/8" female > 5/8" male on bottom; the reverse of that on top.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2022, 10:46:36 AM »
The Matthew’s is my go to as well.

Offline SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2022, 06:34:31 PM »
One more way:

https://www.msegrip.com/products/mafer-accessories

non-twist Hex pin plugs into your Manfrotto mafer clamp; grip head holds your pole.
waves -> bits

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2022, 08:50:05 AM »
I use either the super clamp or 649 clamp with the 026 umbrella adapter and pole and it works perfectly

https://www.manfrotto.com/us-en/lite-tite-swivel-aluminium-umbrella-adapter-026/
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2022, 02:49:22 PM »
^ That's pretty cool! I might have to pick one up. Do you usually use it on the clamp side or the mic bar side? I can see it coming in handy on either...

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2022, 03:39:59 PM »
^ That's pretty cool! I might have to pick one up. Do you usually use it on the clamp side or the mic bar side? I can see it coming in handy on either...

I use it on the clamp side for situations where the clamp is sideways or where the extension pole would be at a wonky angle. It's a little heavy to haul around, but I've had many situations where I was glad I've had it, like seat and soundboard clamping.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2022, 06:55:19 PM »
^ Pretty heavy indeed. But it appears to be a truly flexible solution to weird clamping angles. Thanks for the heads-up!

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2022, 04:36:48 PM »
What you really need is a Manfrotto 099B extension pole. Perhaps the most used piece in my clamp and stand arsenal. Just put it straight on the stud.

I agree; I just found a new use for mine! Backstory: I recorded a show a couple of months ago (the only one of 2021, actually) and the FOH let me set up in the board cage. The legs on my 1004BAC were too big to fit in the spot, though. The engineer said he could fix it and came out with an old, beat-up vocal mic stand. It only went to 6.5 or 7', took a lot of gaffer's tape, and caused me quite a bit of stress, but it worked. Mixed with the board feed, the recording turned out great. It did make me realize that a stand with a smaller footprint would be useful for a similar situation. I thought about it for a while and realized I already had all of the parts. The Manfrotto 003, which I previously used with a 122b for on-stage, plus my 099b would make a pretty good small footprint stand. I think it is just over 8' with the mic clips. Maybe not super sturdy, but it will be protected by virtue of being in the cage. Plus, the legs of the base are flat enough to make taping it to the floor pretty easy (or maybe some sort of weight). I could add one of my 122b poles to go even higher...

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2022, 04:54:26 PM »
^ That's the setup I use for a few tight venues here. With the 122b it goes over 10' tall and when it's taped down it's pretty stable.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2022, 09:53:45 AM »
^ Excellent news! Do you put the 122b on the top or bottom? Probably doesn't make much difference (although I suppose it is easier to put it on the bottom), but I haven't tried it out yet.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2022, 10:00:46 AM »
^ Excellent news! Do you put the 122b on the top or bottom? Probably doesn't make much difference (although I suppose it is easier to put it on the bottom), but I haven't tried it out yet.

The 122 has to go on the bottom, as it has permanent studs on both ends

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2022, 10:21:37 AM »
^ Yes, that's why I figured it would be easier. I do have an adapter that would allow it to be placed on top, though, if that made a difference somehow.

[EDIT TO ADD: I must say I am pretty excited about giving this a try. I go to most shows by public transport and there is usually a fair bit of walking involved. This will be less bulky than the 1004BAC and shave off more than pound and a half of weight.]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 10:36:54 AM by aaronji »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.14 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com