Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So I just discovered Cool Edit's Freq & Phase Analyzers  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
So I just discovered Cool Edit's Freq & Phase Analyzers
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:52:54 AM »
 :D

I have been using this program for YEARS now, and just realized 2 days ago that these tools are there.  :banging head:

I've read the help files on both of them, but I'm still not totally sure what I am looking at, especially with the phase scope, it just kind of looks like a big mess. At Camp Bisco, I ran in the same spot for the Biscuits & then Snoop Dogg. The Biscuits set looks normal in the scope, with the lines going al over the place. When I opened the Snoop set, I expected to see the same thing, but lo & behold, it is a straight line rising along the diagnol from left to right.  According to the help file, this means it is a mono, in-phase wave. Does that mean he was running a mono PA set up? I can take screen shots tonight if it will help.

And with the frequency analyzer, it looks like there is WAAAAY more low end in virtually everything I run it on. Even when purposely bumping the high frequencies to ridiculous/non musical levels (for comparisons sake), the analyzer still is much heavier on the low end. I assume this is due to more instruments over lapping in that area of teh spectrum, as opposed to say just cymbals & the high end of the guitar living in the upper ranges.

Any advice on how to use these tools to best effect?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:58:44 AM by The_Tube »
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: So I just discovered Cool Edit's Freq & Phase Analyzers
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 01:36:31 PM »
Sorry I can't answer your question, but there are TONS of features in Audition (which is Cool Edit's child) that I'd also love to understand how to use.  Is there anyplace to go where these types of questions can be discussed?

I'm sure I've had recordings that could have been fixed better than I fixed them if I only knew how best to use the software features.

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:42:09 PM »
This is my problem now as well...

I just don't know what this stuff does, or how to best use it.....so I fear it.

And that means it doesn't get used.
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 01:49:35 PM »
Probably not what you're looking for, but IME Audition / CEP has a quite good Help file. 
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 01:54:47 PM »
Probably not what you're looking for, but IME Audition / CEP has a quite good Help file. 

Yeah, I read the help files on these tools, but they seem somewhat geared toward people who already nkow what they are looking at. For instance, there's a number of different colored lines in the phase scope, I *assume* they represent different frequencies, but I'm not sure, and didn't see anything about it in the help file.

I also tried tooling around with the wavs to learn the meters, ie running a 'sweep everything' phaser preset set to 180 degrees over part of the wav, then playing it back & watching it through the scope. Neat to watch, but I'm not sure how it helps me understand my tapes better.

My LMA Recordings

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 02:02:52 PM »
Then I stumbled upon the Spectral view and man alive was that an eyeopener.

I've played with the Spectral view a little, but it always look nearly all red to me, which jibes with what I'm seeing in the frequency analyzer.

Maybe it's true what they say about Schoeps...... :lol:

My LMA Recordings

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 09:04:57 PM »
Spectal is good for spotting MP3 or MiniDisc sources.  I too would like to know more about the features being asked about as I have no idea what those features should look like when running well.  I love hard limit, try not to use it too much so that a lot of audio is lost.  I also like the Parametric Equalizer instead of the Graphic Equalizer.  I am starting to get acquained with Audacity because it will record 24/96 from my UA-5, I haven't figured out how to make Audition do that yet.  Also, Audacity is free.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com