Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wireless mic intereference  (Read 5012 times)

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
Wireless mic intereference
« on: August 05, 2021, 01:40:12 PM »
I realize this isn't about taping, but it is about microphones, so...

I have a Sennheiser EW 300 G3 wireless mic system, used in a Catchbox throwable mic. Every once in a while, I get some interference that sounds like white noise. It comes at random, rare intervals, and doesn't seem to be caused by anything in particular. I've had it sitting on my desk for the last several hours and haven't gotten a peep out it, so I can't reproduce the condition. It's set at 533.550 MHz. The other mic in the room is an AT, set at 495.500 MHz.

Any ideas? Thanks!
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Wireless mic intereference
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 03:09:31 PM »

I have a Sennheiser EW 300 G3 wireless mic system, used in a Catchbox throwable mic. Every once in a while, I get some interference that sounds like white noise. It comes at random, rare intervals, and doesn't seem to be caused by anything in particular. I've had it sitting on my desk for the last several hours and haven't gotten a peep out it, so I can't reproduce the condition. It's set at 533.550 MHz. The other mic in the room is an AT, set at 495.500 MHz.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Are you near a waterway? It could be maritime radios. Boats boat up, glitch your radio, and then boat away...

Here is the Sennheiser frequency finder website, though it's only updated with a 2018 database.
http://sennheiser.us/freqfinder/index2.html
Your Sennheiser manual says it operates in these (MHz) ranges:
516–558, 566–608, 606–648, 626–668, 734–776, 780–822, 823–865 MHz (A to E, G, GB)
https://assets.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/6215/ewG3Set300IEM_Manual_09_2014_EN.pdf

Shure wireless users will want to use the Shure site to find local sources of known interference
https://www.shure.com/en-US/support/tools/frequency-finder
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 01:27:54 AM »
Common with me using a Shure IEM or the 72htz ALD system with recording onto a SD Card. 

For reasons not known to me, when I set my Sony M10 to record onto the built in memory, and not the SD Card, there is no interference. 

If I must record using an IEM or 72htz ALD system, if I separate the device from the recorder by a good 4-5 feet, the interference goes away. 

One reason I love my Sony M10
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 01:05:47 AM »

Any ideas? Thanks!

unfortunately - you gotta scan for a new frequency every time you move locations with your mic.  The UHF band that your mic is in - is becoming more and more congested lately and finding open frequencies in large metropolitan areas is becoming incredibly difficult and frustrating.  Also with non-diversity receivers like the G3, handling the mic and moving around the stage can introduce tiny little artifacts that simply don't happen in more expensive diversity systems like the Shure Axient or ULX D series.  Even worse with the sennheisser In-ear units.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline morst

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 12:22:46 PM »
unfortunately - you gotta scan for a new frequency every time you move locations with your mic. The UHF band that your mic is in - is becoming more and more congested lately and finding open frequencies in large metropolitan areas is becoming incredibly difficult and frustrating.  Also with non-diversity receivers like the G3, handling the mic and moving around the stage can introduce tiny little artifacts that simply don't happen in more expensive diversity systems like the Shure Axient or ULX D series.  Even worse with the sennheisser In-ear units.
True!
I would figure that you want to do a frequency scan daily as well, if you are using the catchbox for anything important (work!?)

Offline splumer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 08:43:58 AM »

Any ideas? Thanks!

unfortunately - you gotta scan for a new frequency every time you move locations with your mic.  The UHF band that your mic is in - is becoming more and more congested lately and finding open frequencies in large metropolitan areas is becoming incredibly difficult and frustrating.  Also with non-diversity receivers like the G3, handling the mic and moving around the stage can introduce tiny little artifacts that simply don't happen in more expensive diversity systems like the Shure Axient or ULX D series.  Even worse with the sennheisser In-ear units.

I'll try the scan today. I don't think the room's being use today, so I'll leave it on and sit in there and see if I can get it to happen again. Unfortunately, the receiver is in the front of the room, and I'm usually in the back. We ended up ordering an adapter that will work with a new AT system I have.
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 09:03:53 AM »
Funny thing--from reading the promotional material for the most recent systems (e.g. Sennheiser), even in their lowest-cost versions, you'd think that this type of interference had been totally eliminated and could never be a problem again.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 03:08:35 PM »
Funny thing--from reading the promotional material for the most recent systems (e.g. Sennheiser), even in their lowest-cost versions, you'd think that this type of interference had been totally eliminated and could never be a problem again.

you're so right - this has always been a problem with all wireless gear of all flavors
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Offline splumer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 01:02:41 PM »
Update: Changed out the wireless system for an AT system and Bob's been my uncle. Two solid days and not a peep.
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 03:04:58 PM »
Can you please tell us which A-T system you're using? And also, let us know whether the good experience continues for you (which I hope that it will)? Many thanks.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 04:05:01 PM »
I'd hazard a guess that the lack of interference is from a band switch (or just different freq selected) on the new equipment rather than the actual AT vs Sennheiser for the reason stated below.

Even the ULX stuff can get some serious interference if you don't watch your freqs. I got to use the Axient stuff at work right around when it came out and it blew me away.

Offline splumer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2021, 11:00:36 AM »
Can you please tell us which A-T system you're using? And also, let us know whether the good experience continues for you (which I hope that it will)? Many thanks.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. It's been a busy week (first week of classes last week), and I tend not to want to get in front of the computer at home after staring at one all day long.

Anyway, the receiver is an ATW-R3100bC, and the transmitter is an ATW-T310bC lavaliere, plugged into a Catchbox. We're on day 7 with it and no interference at all. It's not quite as good on batteries as the Sennheiser was, but we use recharagables, so that's not an issue.

It certainly could have been the frequency (it most likely was) but since I've never been able to recreate the interference outside of that lecture hall, I swapped out the whole unit. I'm in class most of the day now, so I haven't really had a chance to play with it more.

Edit: Link to currently used system:
https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/3000-series-third-generation
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 06:57:57 PM »

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. It's been a busy week (first week of classes last week), and I tend not to want to get in front of the computer at home after staring at one all day long.

Anyway, the receiver is an ATW-R3100bC, and the transmitter is an ATW-T310bC lavaliere, plugged into a Catchbox. We're on day 7 with it and no interference at all. It's not quite as good on batteries as the Sennheiser was, but we use recharagables, so that's not an issue.

It certainly could have been the frequency (it most likely was) but since I've never been able to recreate the interference outside of that lecture hall, I swapped out the whole unit. I'm in class most of the day now, so I haven't really had a chance to play with it more.

Edit: Link to currently used system:
https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/3000-series-third-generation

glad you're up and running again. when troubleshooting wireless mics, it's always helpful to include the wireless frequencies that the system can operate on.  In many cases, someone could troubleshoot an RF problem without even knowing the brand or model of wireless unit.  RF frequencies don't care whether it's a TV antenna, an intermod from  a high power communication antenna, a garage door opener down the street, or a puny little 20mw wireless mic  :P

Offline morst

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 12:41:29 AM »
I worked a trade show which hired a cover band to play on their main stage, and when they showed up and started sound check, my conference room mics suffered massive interference.

Turns out that they didn't attempt to scan before powering up their wireless rig with the same frequencies from another town the previous night.

AARGH!

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 04:30:34 PM »
I worked a trade show which hired a cover band to play on their main stage, and when they showed up and started sound check, my conference room mics suffered massive interference.

Turns out that they didn't attempt to scan before powering up their wireless rig with the same frequencies from another town the previous night.

AARGH!

this is SO common with wedding bands, bar bands, etc etc.  When it affects your show, it is such a pain in the butt to deploy a backup and/or switch frequencies in the middle of a performance.  Music festivals are by far the worst, I've had problems even with a experienced RF coordinator onsite - all it takes is one wireless rack on another stage to get accidentally powered up and the spectrum becomes so much more cluttered.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com