Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreen/Furry rat lookin' thingy recommendations...  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Windscreen/Furry rat lookin' thingy recommendations...
« on: June 28, 2004, 11:34:00 AM »
I need some FAT windscreens!!  Tired of getting wind in my mics.  Should I go with really big foam screens or go with one of those furry rat thingys??  Has anybody DIY'ed some screens/furry things??  Any links??  Who's got descent prices??

Scott

MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Windscreen/Furry rat lookin' thingy recommendations...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 12:41:21 PM »
Cool!  I'll prolly do just what you did and get the DPA screens and rig up some of that furry fabric if I can find some...

MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline dr.ph0b

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • powpow!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 03:33:58 AM »
there are usually some rycote accessories on ebay for decent price. have space between your capsules and the actual windscreens or whatnot makes a huge difference too. youll always see sound professionals using those zepplins and ballgags rycote makes.  but hey, if you aint got the cash, you gotta be creative :)    another suggestion, if this is an outdoor open-air gig, you might try omnis. they are not pressure-gradient mics and are much less suseptible to the evilness of wind. 
sold :(  MK4v->KCY->Sonosax SX-M2/LS2->modSBM1->M1
m-s: mk8/mk4v

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 12:37:36 PM »
yeah, true about the wind not getting to omni's...

but still, depending on where you are taping, Omni's are too wide of a pickup range.  You could pick up conversations going on under your stand, and about 20 feet around it depeding on your mics.

Just a thought...
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Rand0mRoll77

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 01:43:28 AM »
there is a show that i want to tape on saturday and i lost one of the windscreens for my AT853's

it is an outdoor show, there is a 50% chance of severe thunderstorms

i once duct taped an umbrella to my mic stand but it didnt rain, if it does rain...will the sound of the rain hitting the ubrella ruin the recording....i will be using a make shift mic stand, a video tripod witha 7ft peice of wood duct taped to it equalling about 11ft....the band allows taping and i will try to get infront of the board and tape my mics in a Vformation pointing at the stacks....is there any archival thread with pics or a listing of the different mic placements???????  this is only the 3rd show i taped with mics, one stealth mics clipped to balcony, one with mics clipped to hat, one with makeshift mic stand in front of right stack with mics in l l position.....

and are there any materials i can buy quickly at a fabric or hardware store to use as a substiture for a windscreen because it might be windy....

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 08:42:33 AM »
check the archives bro, tons of gooey info in there, and yes, also tons of mic placement threads and pictures in the rig pics section, check it out :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline tradja

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 02:10:34 PM »
Believe it or not (sorry Sarge ;)) I struck out on faux fur at several fabric shops in Reno.  I ended up cutting up the furry seat cover from my car, sewed little pouches, and ran them over SM58-size standard foam balls.  There are lots of outdoor shows in Tahoe during the summer, and they've worked great so far!

Pics later.
Oktava MK012s->Canare Star Quads->DIY digimod UA-5->JB3, monitored through Beyer-pad modded Sony V6 cans

marc0789

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 10:06:47 AM »
I can't speak to the effectiveness in the wind, since it decided to kick down completely by showtime  >:(....

...however, the SargeWallyWorld Ratscreens attenuate the music very little, if at all. Which is a good thing. Have to wait for some serious wind to test these. several more outdoor shows left this summer...

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5

marc0789

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 03:01:50 PM »
I only use them occasionally outside, when I KNOW there's too much wind for the dpa screens, and at the Cabooze, because of the a/c and smoke handlers. Used them again at Galactic last night. Despite a stiff breeze, no rumble on the tapes.

Thanks again Sarge and Moke! ;D

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 04:51:44 PM »
I use the Lightwave Audio Blimp Style Windscreens.  They are sorta steep in price but worth every dime.  Ive been the only guy with a copy of a few shows that ever got distributed because wind ruined everyone elses tape.  Love em!  Red Rocks last yr, first night of the Deads run, wind was crazy and not one hint of rumble.  If you found the mics you will use for yrs, get them, its worth it.  They are custom made to the individual mic so make sure you are happy with your mics ;D, and then get em. 

Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com