Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need mic recommendations ($600-800)  (Read 6804 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Need mic recommendations ($600-800)
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 03:18:38 PM »
Opinions, everyones got em :)

Richard was right. To him it isnt a good piece of gear. Thats ok!

Take me for example, I loathe grace designs products..I mean LOATHE. ..and thats ok too!

It aint the gear, its the operator. ;)

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 06:39:19 PM »
I, too, have been toying with the idea of a new "main" set of mics. I really enjoy the sound from my AT933/853's, but there seems to be a little something lacking unless I'm very close to the sound source/P.A. As a former AKG 463 [Jim Williams mod.] owner, I'm itching to get back to a similar warm sound. I've basically narrowed it down the Peluso's, the ADK51TL's and an LSD2. I like the idea of an LD mic, since I ran SD's before but am not sure they'll suit all my needs. I've been leaning towards the LSD2 for it's ease and price, but have also been thinking about the Peluso's b/c of the multiple caps and the probability of active's in the future. Can anyone tell me a major advantage of LD mics? I don't plan on taping a ton of shows... just a few festivals and bar shows each year. Any stealthing shows are easily covered with my AT's.

Sorry... not meant to hijack. Since I'm looking in the same price range, I figured I'd just add to the existing thread. Thanks....

Steve

also... has anyone run Peluso's/TL's/LSD2 with a BM2p+ mod UA-5?
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

stirinthesauce

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 07:08:22 PM »

I know Tony (lowspark aka life during wartime) ran his TL's with a bm2 and now runs with Peluso's.  May want to send him a pm.

RebelRebel

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 07:25:04 PM »
IN general terms... SD mics  convey greater detail than a LD mic due to the size and weight of the diaphragm, as well as the diffractions and reflections of the sound that can be caused by the greater size of the LD's housing, this can/ would affect the "accuracy" of off-axis sounds as well. (SDC-Better off axis response).LD's have been associated with "character" a lot...or "mojo".  LD mics generally have better LF response, at the sake of clarity.

I, too, have been toying with the idea of a new "main" set of mics. I really enjoy the sound from my AT933/853's, but there seems to be a little something lacking unless I'm very close to the sound source/P.A. As a former AKG 463 [Jim Williams mod.] owner, I'm itching to get back to a similar warm sound. I've basically narrowed it down the Peluso's, the ADK51TL's and an LSD2. I like the idea of an LD mic, since I ran SD's before but am not sure they'll suit all my needs. I've been leaning towards the LSD2 for it's ease and price, but have also been thinking about the Peluso's b/c of the multiple caps and the probability of active's in the future. Can anyone tell me a major advantage of LD mics? I don't plan on taping a ton of shows... just a few festivals and bar shows each year. Any stealthing shows are easily covered with my AT's.

Sorry... not meant to hijack. Since I'm looking in the same price range, I figured I'd just add to the existing thread. Thanks....

Steve

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2006, 08:04:35 PM »

Take me for example, I loathe grace designs products..I mean LOATHE.

That's it - you're out of the club...

;)
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

RebelRebel

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006, 08:09:47 PM »

Take me for example, I loathe grace designs products..I mean LOATHE.

That's it - you're out of the club...

;)

No comments from the "owned MK6 caps for 3 weeks and then got my own MK4s back" club.  :P

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006, 09:16:30 PM »
Jeff, what pre/adc and recorder are you going to be running for the second rig?  I think that is important for people to give an educated opinion.  He never said he was running the exact same equipment for the second rig except for the mics. 

So here is my opinion.  I would go with the Peluso's, and a modded UA5.  That would be around $1200, but I suck at math when it comes to gear.  Of course this opinion only is valid if you don't have a solid pre/adc lined up for this second rig(which sounds to me as if it is soon going to be your main rig).

If you do already have a second pre/adc that you are happy with, then you could do a whole hell of a lot with $1200.  However you don't seem to me that you are the kind of guy that even wants to screw around with all the different patterns and configs.  You just want to point and shoot, right?  So that being said, I would go akg 480s with a pair of ck63 hyper caps, brand spankin new!  If you do however feel that you want to mess around with all the different "geeky" techniques, I'd go peluso's with all of the caps.  I think the most important thing here is that you end up with a good set of hypers.  The places that you tape in, need them.  I'm just sayin'.

Edit: Oh yeah, you can always use a set of my mics during all good for one of your rigs.  I will be bringing the km140s, 414s and LSD2, heck I could even loan you my pair of C4s since you dig em so much.  If of course I still have all of them by the time all good rolls around, thats like 2 and a half months. ::)  Might be a different line up by then.  Regardless you could use a pair of my mics, I'm sure I will still have at least two pairs ::)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 09:40:53 PM by Bdifr78 »
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline macroint

• Jeff's List
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2006, 02:07:45 AM »
However you don't seem to me that you are the kind of guy that even wants to screw around with all the different patterns and configs.You just want to point and shoot, right?

You know me too well...wanna date?

So that being said, I would go akg 480s with a pair of ck63 hyper caps, brand spankin new!  If you do however feel that you want to mess around with all the different "geeky" techniques, I'd go peluso's with all of the caps.  I think the most important thing here is that you end up with a good set of hypers.  The places that you tape in, need them.  I'm just sayin'.

I bagged the idea of a second rig and just going for new mics (and keeping the C4's)...I thought about the AKG 480, but I only get one cap bought new for the same price I as a new Peluso with 3 caps, one being the hyper. They offer a wide card...what's that cover? I'm pretty much sold on the Peluso's....and I think you're right about the places I tape.
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2006, 10:28:11 AM »
However you don't seem to me that you are the kind of guy that even wants to screw around with all the different patterns and configs.You just want to point and shoot, right?

You know me too well...wanna date?

So that being said, I would go akg 480s with a pair of ck63 hyper caps, brand spankin new!  If you do however feel that you want to mess around with all the different "geeky" techniques, I'd go peluso's with all of the caps.  I think the most important thing here is that you end up with a good set of hypers.  The places that you tape in, need them.  I'm just sayin'.

I bagged the idea of a second rig and just going for new mics (and keeping the C4's)...I thought about the AKG 480, but I only get one cap bought new for the same price I as a new Peluso with 3 caps, one being the hyper. They offer a wide card...what's that cover? I'm pretty much sold on the Peluso's....and I think you're right about the places I tape.

Really no need for a second rig, especially if its just for one festival.  I would go with the wide cardiod(subcards), just cause you already have cards and omnis and it would rock out to have subs, hypers, cards, and omnis.  The subs are basically what they say they are.  Think of it as an omni, that attenuates everything behind you, and basically picks up everything in front of you.  Kinda like half an omni.  People seem to use them when you can get real close to the sound source, or when the acoustics in the venue are real nice.  I have used subs in the State theater, at a very not crowded show, and it came out great, on two occassions.  I can't wait to use them FOB at festivals this season. 

Here is the other thing to think about.  You are probably going to use the hypers most of the time.  They are great for the small bars, big clubs, sections at large venues, and outside when you aren't close to the stage.  You already have cards and omnis with the C4s, so maybe getting one of the best fucking hyper cardoid out there, with the 483s would be the way to get the most out of your purchase.  Then later on when you want more caps for the AKGs, they aren't that expensive at all.  Either way you decide, its gonna be a nice upgrade.

Oh...and...I think your cute and all...but I think we should just stay close friends. :-*

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006, 06:26:38 AM »

Take me for example, I loathe grace designs products..I mean LOATHE. ..and thats ok too!

anti-gracism will not be tolerated  >:D >:D >:D

;D

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2006, 03:22:39 PM »

anti-gracism will not be tolerated  >:D >:D >:D

;D

Damn right!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com