Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Klipsch Heresy II Hot Rod Cobra Blue  (Read 5617 times)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Klipsch Heresy II Hot Rod Cobra Blue
« on: October 12, 2018, 04:53:26 PM »
I am just finishing up this speaker project. The cabinets were a little rough so the only reasonable option was to get a profession auto spray done. I report more later but wanted to get some shots up.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Klipsch Heresy II Hot Rod Cobra Blue
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 04:54:23 PM »
A few more.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 08:00:59 PM »
Booyootiful! How damn pretty. thanks for sharing the photos.  Good luck with this project!
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 11:37:40 PM »
Thanks. I haven't had too much time to listen to them let. Last night I got a few minutes of low level listening and today for lunch I listen for about 45 minutes at loud volumes. I like the II 's more than the I's. I'm hoping to hold on to this pair for a while. The paint is fabulous and the sound, so far, is the best Heresy's that I've heard.

Here is the skinny on what I did.

As you can see the cabinets were is very good shape, however, there were two veneer issues that stuck out like a wart on a nose. Therefore, staining them was not in the cards. Of course, I could have stain them ebony and it would of hid the blemishes but I thought that I might as well do something bold and do it right. After consulting with friends and family I settled on a Cobra Blue. Other colors were red, yellow and purple. My son convinced me that if I eventually wanted to sell them I better go with blue.

The tweeter now sport a titanium diaphragm, which extends them and provide a more realistic timbre.

New binding post were added, as I hate those cheap plastic things.

Crossovers caps were replaced and upgraded.

Acoustic damping material strategically placed in the cabinet.

Custom 14" stand were made so that it sound like your on the floor and not in the balcony.

Can't wait to kick out the jams tomorrow!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 11:46:41 PM by raymonda »

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 05:44:35 PM »
Finally, I'm getting some time to kick out the jams. Listen to Jeff Beck's, "Loud Hailer" with and without the subs on. Depending on the type of music I'm listening to certainly tells me whether the subs are a must or not. The II's continue to impress me with a better balance sound then the I's I had. Maybe it is the improved tweeter, the titanium  diaphragm, tweaks I made to the cabinet, or crossover mods. Regardless, when comparing both pairs, before and after mods, the II's seem to be a better sonic value.

Don't get me wrong, both sets have the Klipsch house sound. They are punchy, with an emphasis on the midband. It is just that the I's were a bit  too hot in the midband and required additional tweaks to balance them out. The II's on the other hand, are punchy but better balance.

Oh, and there is that Klipsch midband seasoning that you either like or don't. But, hook them up to tubes and you are often nicely rewarded. Anyway, although I bought these as a project to enjoy for a short time and then sell, I'm really considering keeping them. It looks like I might have to sell a pair of microphones in order to rarionalize keeping them. These guys are sounding nice and they look freaking incredible, too.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 05:05:36 PM »
I guess blue is the new black :) ?

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=188094.0

But seriously they look sexy. I wasn't sure I was gonna like the blue but everytime i look at the pictures i like it more

It kind of has that refined 70s quality look. almost like candy
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 08:05:17 PM »
Thanks. Been rockin them out over the past week. With subs they are really a very fun and enjoyable speaker.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 02:55:34 PM »

When I had some Heresy II Pros for several years I really liked the sound but it wasn't until much later that I realized they just didn't have the low end response that I wanted.

Now I'm super happy with my AR M2 pair and a 10" sub at my mix desk. I'm lo fi for casual listening and use my BT soundbar with a wireless sub.

The Heresy IIs are fantastic sounding on jazz, bluegrass and classical music though...
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 11:02:08 PM »
Nice!
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline IowaClint

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 10:30:57 AM »
Did you do any Bob Crittes mods to them?  I own a pair of Quartets, Epic 2's, Academy Center Channel, and a bunch of Quintet 2's.  Love Klipsch stuff. 

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 01:29:19 PM »
Yes, I used his sourced sonicaps but you could use any equal value caps of your choice. You don't necessarily need to purchase from Bill.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com