Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Güde Head Goes Into Stealth Mode - Security Be Damned!  (Read 9984 times)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Güde Head Goes Into Stealth Mode - Security Be Damned!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2020, 01:49:46 AM »
My teacher, the late Rudolf Kolisch, once left his Stradivarius violin on a train in Germany, I think during the early-to-mid 1950s. It was returned to him the next day.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2020, 02:30:01 AM »
Well, Güde hung with some luminaries of microphone technologies tonight.
EW QTC1 omni pair, Royer dynamic stereo ribbon (behind the image posted);
Barnaby Pro 3D.Audio mic (horizontal windscreen), Neumann Binaural Head, Sennheiser Ambisonic mic, Line Audio CM3 pair, and Senn MKE2 pair (in the image)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:01:27 AM by Moke »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2020, 09:25:12 AM »
Well, Güde hung with some luminaries of microphone technologies tonight.
EW QTC1 omni pair, Royer dynamic stereo ribbon (behind the image posted), Barnaby Pro 3D.Audio mic (horizontal windscreen), Neumann Binaural Head, Sennheiser Ambisonic mic, Line Audio CM3 pair, and Senn MKE2 pair

What was it that brought out such a crowd?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

mfrench

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2020, 11:58:47 AM »
There were three of us recording last night. The third person was not normally there.  He was on invite from the other recordist for the ensemble, who met him at the NAMM show this year(i think?). The band said OK,... so,...
There was nothing so special or overt as to make it a special occasion. This show was the consort and an irish fiddler; mostly Irish music.

edited to remove some untowards thought. thanks. out.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 03:29:06 PM by Moke »

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2020, 04:37:29 PM »
There were three of us recording last night. The third person was not normally there.  He was on invite from the other recordist for the ensemble, who met him at the NAMM show this year(i think?). The band said OK,... so,...
There was nothing so special or overt as to make it a special occasion. This show was the consort and an irish fiddler; mostly Irish music.

edited to remove some untowards thought. thanks. out.
Moke, I think you're having a good influence on these people  ;D
Bring out the Blue head and all hell breaks loose ...
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

mfrench

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2020, 05:17:19 PM »
I also did the I Drilled A New Hole In The Bottom Of Güdes Chest/Storage Box, So That I Could Mount Another Pair of Mics Over His Head, mod yesterday afternoon, before the concert.
So, I was also testing that mod out, amongst the fracas.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 10:05:34 AM »
Digin' the 45 degree rotation of the Güde box for the boundary mounted Senns, which I assume was necessary for sufficient clearance behind the head for the new mic-mount as well.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

mfrench

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 10:39:43 AM »
Digin' the 45 degree rotation of the Güde box for the boundary mounted Senns, which I assume was necessary for sufficient clearance behind the head for the new mic-mount as well.

Many years ago, I tried a Crown SASS PZM stereo mic.  I was quite impressed with the sound. Its design stuck in my head.
Then, I was facing a new venue, and, decided, for some reason, to throw up an impromptu PZM configuration by turning Güde chest around to the 45º orientation. Prior to that, I had tried it as a baffle, with no 45º orientation; just l/r mics on hard sides at 90º and 270º.  This was very similar to the J-Disc studies of a few years back.
This is that first effort, I think?
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=188925.msg2299159#msg2299159

The improv PZM rig worked beautifully. The ensemble raved about the effort.  So, I've been experimenting further with physical on-stage placement, and combos of this rigging, such as placing the box in deeper, closer to the mid-Cello section, and having other mics pointed at the flanking wings. It has all been working out really well.

In this latest effort, I arrived at my usual setup time (I try for two hours prior to show time, but, typically get there an hour and a half early), there were already a forest of mic stands, right up the center.
Myself; this was all set up where I typically go to (first row, center of center aisle, just in front of the front row pews stub wall), but, the new guy didn't have any care for audience sightlines, and he flew at a too high an elevation, IMO.
I typically set up there, but, keep my rigs at or slightly below the level of the black music stands, never going higher, to preserve sightlines.  This new mic stand forest was set up there, and pretty much blocked everyone sight of the ensemble.

For some reason, Güde mic mount thread set was mounted off-center to the head, whereas the others that I've seen were centered to the "spine column" for stand mounting. So, this made it a challenge to fit that second stand mount hole in his box. I'm glad I did it, as it makes for a nice compact rig.

/rambling

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2020, 01:34:49 PM »

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2020, 06:50:27 PM »
gotta love a 10k$ Neumann head making an appearance. I set a gofundme for one :) a long time ago. so far no donations
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

mfrench

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2020, 06:57:19 PM »
Is that what a Neu. head goes for now?!?

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

mfrench

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2020, 07:37:40 PM »
thanks!
Wow.  i have lots to say, but am waiting for another couple of comps before I can really grasp what all went down.
I have the Neumann tracks, and have been comping them to my own head, and to the PZM array, and the four mic PZM+XY mix

There is a lot to be said for carefully selected, lower dollar tools.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com