Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: car audio  (Read 8435 times)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
car audio
« on: December 07, 2003, 09:23:04 PM »
I need some new speakers for my car and wil be getting some for christmas.  Any thoughts on what is good?  I was thinking I don't really want to spend more than say 400 bucks!

Thanks

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re:car audio
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 10:04:21 PM »
:hmmm:

'83 GMC S15 PU w/ original cass deck
'99 Dodge 2500 w/ original cass deck and speakers :coolguy:

so are you offering to sell him your truck speakers?  ;)

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 11:27:28 PM »
i'll hook u up d, and install what you need as well.  some component speakers, and a little sub.  easy done. i think i did my car stereo with speakers cd player, and 2, 8 in subs  for like 500.  nothin special, but it sounds pretty good.  i don't know if you've ever really heard mine, take a listen, we'll work something out.  boston acoustics are nice. heard good systems with them.  infinity, also nice.  i can't even remember what component speakers i have. oh well..

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 01:48:40 AM »
Daryan, I know your all about DIY stuff and what not...  I've found some very low price "brands you've never heard of" drivers to be comparable to some of the much more expensive well known brands..

You could get into some fun DIY stuff if you post a thread over at the Parts Express message board with what your looking to get out of what kinda car, etc. ;D  This is just for speakers, for amps, deck I'd go with something reputable (I have a Pioneer Premier and love it).  I think IkeSounds.com (or Ikesound.com) has the best prices, I've boughten from them 3 times and walked away happy each time.

Parts Express Board

Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 01:49:50 AM »
Daryan, I know your all about DIY stuff and what not...  I've found some very low price "brands you've never heard of" drivers to be comparable to some of the much more expensive well known brands..

You could get into some fun DIY stuff if you post a thread over at the Parts Express message board with what your looking to get out of what kinda car, etc. ;D  This is just for speakers, for amps, deck I'd go with something reputable (I have a Pioneer Premier and love it).  I think IkeSounds.com (or Ikesound.com) has the best prices, I've boughten bought from them 3 times and walked away happy each time.

Parts Express Board

Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 02:43:11 AM »
what size speakers?  that'll help us make a recommendation

DaryanLenz

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2003, 08:39:18 AM »
I dunno.  I guess I could take a ruler out to the car and tell you what are in there now.  I just want to replace the ones in there which I have officially destroyed over the years.  I have a 1995 volvo 960 turbo for what it's worth!

I will measure at work this afternoon!

Daryan

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2003, 09:19:37 AM »
standard sizes are 4x6, 5.25, 6.5, 6x9

6x9s are easy to spot, they're the oval ones that are big.  4x6 are the smaller ovals, usually in dash

5.25 and 6.5 are round

Offline HydroPANIC

• Taperssection Regular
  • Casey Dawg Recordings
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003, 09:23:00 AM »
Go online to Crutchfield and use their car installation guide...  this will tell ya what will fit.
Live Long and Lucky,
MikeO

DaryanLenz

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2003, 09:31:34 AM »
Sweet, off to crutchfield.  I wanted to mention, as far as sub goes, I do NOT want one of those rattle the trunk things, if I wanted to look luike an A+ duchebag I would put panties on my head and wear a skirt! ;D

Daryan

DaryanLenz

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2003, 09:34:04 AM »
Front Door: 5-1/4"
Rear Door: 5-1/4"
Rear Deck: 6"x9"

That's what I came up with!

D

Offline Swanny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2003, 09:43:05 AM »
I really like my
Nakamichi CD player really good DA. I'd look at the Infinities for spreakers.
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

jpschust

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2003, 10:03:17 AM »
D- don't worry, you'll always be a douchebag in my heart :-)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2003, 11:28:31 AM »
If you don't want to go with an external amp, I like the JBL (dark-sounding) and the Rockford Fosgate (slightly bright) speakers.  Do you have a stock or an aftermarket head unit?  Watts per channel?  Do you have an amp?

For a cheap amp, look at the Sony Xplod line.  Good, cheap, and available at any Best Buy.  If you want the Jamie special, PPI (Precision Power) is the way to go.  I also have an a/d/s/ and absolutely love the thing because it is so flexible (and reasonably priced), but they are really difficult to find.  I would love a Zapco or an Xtant, but those are a bit expensive for me.

If you go with (or have) an external amp, look into the MB Quart (what I have and LOVE).  They are really power-hungry so you would need around 100 watts per channel for them, but they may be a bit outside of your price range.  I have also heard good things about the Eclipse, but have not heard them for myself.  Avoid Alpine; they sound like shit.  I also think that Kenwood are some of the worst car speakers made, but a lot of other people seem to like them a lot.

Boston Acoustics also makes great speakers with a very wide wattage rating; my 6x9 BAs can handle from 12-300 watts per channel.  They are a bit metallic-sounding and strident if you drive them too loud, but I like them anyway.  You may want to ask your dealer if your head unit can drive those; otherwise you would need an amp; one of those cheap Sony Xplod would do the trick nicely.  BA speakers are pretty expensive, though.

For subs, JL Audio is the one and only.  Accept no substitutes!  That said, I woud really like to hear Kevin D's Eclipse setup in his ride next time he comes to town (hint hint Kevin).

As a tip and if you see yourself really upgrading your car system in the future, get some separates for the front first, then a subwoofer, and finally some rear speakers.  If you divide things into like three stages, you can enjoy what you have while saving up for the next step.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline scb

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2003, 12:02:35 PM »
>>If you go with (or have) an external amp, look into the MB Quart (what I have and LOVE).  They are really power-hungry so you would need around 100 watts per channel for them, but they may be a bit outside of your price range.<<

i've been toying with the idea of putting some mbquart 5.25 or 6.5s in my car.  background on current setup:

'99 jeep wrangler with 8 speaker system.
standard is 4x6 in dash and 5.25 in overhead sound bar.  4x6 in dash are pretty worthless, but i replaced them with some pioneers back in summer '99.   also replaced the overhead soundbar with 5.25 pioneer premier 3 ways .  then added a pair of pioneer premier 6.5 inch 2 ways in the soundwedge box that goes on the wheelwell in the back behind the front seats.  added some lows and filled up the bottom of the car.  then i added a pair of 5.25 kenwood excelons up front in a kick panel style mount.  the kenwoods aren't bad at all for what i wanted them to do.  they definitely fill up the front area and give a very nice clean sound.  but they're a bit too bright

anyway, thinking of replacing the front 5.25 kenwoods or the rear 6.5 pioneer premiers.  think i should go the mb quart route.  i have 6 of the 8 speakers (not the 4x6) hooked up to a phoenix gold xs4300 amp (more than i needed but found it for half price) so i definitely have the power for some mb quarts, just wondering if you think it'd be worth it

>>I also think that Kenwood are some of the worst car speakers made, but a lot of other people seem to like them a lot.<<

regular kenwoods i'll agree on.  there are a few decent speakrs in the excelon line though.  but rule #1 i'll tell everyone is DON'T BUY FROM CRUTCHFIELD.  unless you like getting ripped off

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.324 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com