Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UGLY vrs SONY PCM-D50 pre  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Justinasia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
UGLY vrs SONY PCM-D50 pre
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:48:27 PM »
As some of you know, I am wanting to get gear for recording quiet-sounding Japanese flute, around Japan. I need my gear to be portable and want it good enough for making a commercial CD. I made another thread here http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,115987.0.html but this question is now rather specific so hope it's OK to make this new thread:

How does the CA UGLY compare with the pre in the SONY PCM-D50? I have been recommended the UGLY because I am thinking to use DPA 4060 pair and the D50 can't power them. But until now I have not heard any opinion of whether or not the UGLY is a better pre. If it isn't, wouldn't it make more sense to use a power supply only (no pre) for the DPA 4060?

My other question is, how would the sound quality compare for these two:
CA UGLY>SONY PCM-D50
vrs
CA UGLY>microtrack

Thanks a lot
Justin

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: UGLY vrs SONY PCM-D50 pre
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:38:31 PM »
CA UGLY>SONY PCM-D50
vrs
CA UGLY>microtrack

Thanks a lot
Justin

There is no question that UGLY > D50 would result in higher-quality recordings than UGLY > Microtrack.  I used both and there is simply no comparison between the two units.  The line / A/D stage in the Microtrack is harsh and brittle.  The D50 has a very nice A/D and line stage.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 03:33:28 PM »
CA UGLY>SONY PCM-D50
vrs
CA UGLY>microtrack

Thanks a lot
Justin

There is no question that UGLY > D50 would result in higher-quality recordings than UGLY > Microtrack.  I used both and there is simply no comparison between the two units.  The line / A/D stage in the Microtrack is harsh and brittle.  The D50 has a very nice A/D and line stage.

The D50 also has excellent MIC input especially in the 20 dB input sensitivity mode, but still very, very good in boosted gain (0 dB) mode; this is panel slide switch operated on the D50. 

Boosted gain mode is where the Ugly likely operates 100% of the time regardless of where its level knob is positioned, so most likely Sony MIC input has better gain mode (choice) than Ugly even when going LINE input to D50.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:35:42 PM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 05:08:55 PM »

Just for the sake of clarification, are you referring to legacy Microtrack or the MTII? Or maybe they're both just as bad going analog in?
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com