Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Onboard A/D Comparisons?  (Read 7599 times)

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Onboard A/D Comparisons?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2004, 05:19:08 PM »
damon, i think that while we are at the late stage of the DAT game i think we are going to see DAT's in the field for quite a while to come.  At least until the HD recorders come way down in price, around the 500 dollar or below mark.

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2004, 05:21:35 PM »
What about taking the line out of a 24 bit playback device playing a live show recorded at 24 bit?   Obviously a good DA convertor would be ideal, but even the headphone out of a computer would cut it.  That should give you more than enough dynamic range (certainly more than both a comerical CD and a live DAT)  to get an idea of what each A/D would sound like in a live setting.  

Whatever the case,  I agree that it may not be worth the trouble, but I think this solution gives a nice controlled situation that would exercise the deck the way we would in the field.

Rusty

marc0789

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2004, 05:31:00 PM »
done a handful of stealth shows running >mp2>m1 and always been impressed, generally run the mp2 about 1/3 to 1/2 and the m1 maybe at 5-6, nice smooth sound.

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am a real American
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2004, 06:49:45 PM »
i can tell you i can't stand the ADC on the d8.  To me i lost of sound in that stage when i was runng C1000s>Mixpad>d8.  

jpschust

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2004, 08:10:09 PM »
ok all these descriptions are all good and well, and i could probably use verbage to describe all of them, but it doesnt equal having a sampler download to compare it all to.  a set of 1-2 minute flac files where pink noise and other colored noise is generated would be more helpful in  the long run

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2004, 08:14:25 PM »
let us know when you finish!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

jpschust

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2004, 08:17:17 PM »
if i can borrow the gear from people id be happy to do the tests, problem is i just dont own all the gear to do it.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2004, 09:02:57 PM »
>>because you're trying to test the a/d's performance in a field environment.  cd's are, generally speaking, much more compressed and doctored.  in a concert recording environment, the wider dynamic range could pose different issues for a a>d than recording from a cd. <<

so use a live cd :)

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2004, 12:08:16 AM »

Take the D10 (Pro) out of the loop.  Unless it's been line-mod'd, it's running @ +4 line levels anyway.  The mike pre on it's pretty quiet, and the a/d is OK.  There's always room for improvement with an input mod.

For it's vintage, out of the box, it's the cadillac (and for the most part, there hasn't been a portable pro dat that's really come close).

My $.02

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

jpschust

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2004, 12:09:24 AM »
i want everything stock.  no mods whatsoever.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2004, 02:18:40 AM »
done a handful of stealth shows running >mp2>m1 and always been impressed, generally run the mp2 about 1/3 to 1/2 and the m1 maybe at 5-6, nice smooth sound.

I'm running the same and am always amazed with the sound, i run mp-2 at 9'oclock and the m1 from 5-7.  I run hot, too.  It just sounds better with the increased dynamics, plus I can't "hear" any tabling, but maybe that's just my shitty system.

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2004, 03:07:59 AM »
>>because you're trying to test the a/d's performance in a field environment.  cd's are, generally speaking, much more compressed and doctored.  in a concert recording environment, the wider dynamic range could pose different issues for a a>d than recording from a cd. <<

such crazy ideas, scott. ;)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2004, 03:18:16 AM »

such crazy ideas, scott. ;)
 but there's no w00k factor, takes all the fun out of it

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2004, 10:49:38 AM »
the M1's ad stage is fine if you keep the levels relatively low(peaking about -6 or so, not higher).

:sick:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com