Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with the Shure FP24/MixPre/MP-2  (Read 7663 times)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Help with the Shure FP24/MixPre/MP-2
« on: June 05, 2004, 12:50:11 PM »
Ok, I run a Shure FP24, which is just a rebranded MixPre which is very similar to the MP2. ;D  Last time I taped I ran into a very interesting problem.  The left channel was running a lot less hot than usual.  I had the knob turned up to 12:00, which I never have to do.  The right channel was in its usual spot around 9:00.  But other than that it was looking OK.  Then about an hour into the show the left channel started clipping.  I had to move it back down to where it should've been in the first place, around 9:00.  

Now other than that small area of clipping, my show sounds fine.  Anyone know what happened?  I had brand new batteries in and I hadn't changed anything from the last few shows I had taped.  
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
Re:Help with the Shure FP24/MixPre/MP-2
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 06:20:10 PM »
that is odd.

My experience is that any sound at concert level will clip the mp-2 above 10 o'clock.  I have no idea why you had to turn it up to 12 to get the channels to be even, though.  That is really odd...

You can always contact the folks at Sound Devices, they are very helpful, more helpful than Shure, I would assume.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 10:22:33 PM »
Can you duplicate the problem at home?
If so, have you swapped/switched the mics/cables one by one to isolate the problem to the FP24?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 10:55:39 PM »
I did have something goofy like this happen once on a "fresh" set of batteries...got home, could never duplicate it, and has not happened since.  I ran into a guy at a show a few months ago who had the same thing happen that night...and he told me a couple weeks ago he has not had a problem since....I think sometimes "new" batts aren't so new...and that could be causing the problem...

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 12:21:04 AM »
Yeah, I can't replicate it at home.  While at the show I switched mic cables and it still had the same problem.  I should've tried switching out the batteries but the ones I had in were my last fresh pair (I had some used batts that I could've thrown in for a minute).  

Oh well...if it happens again I'll get in touch with Sound Devices.  I have to send it in to get the rechargeable battery mod anyway...

+T for the advice guys. ;D

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 06:03:51 AM »
oh yeah, that's a goodie to get

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 10:04:29 AM »
what exactly is done with this "rechargeable mod"?
are the rechargeable AA's a different physical size from standard alkaline AA?
does it have any affect on running external DC in(via SLA)?

pardon the questions from a new MP2 owner :)

the water's clean and innocent

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 10:32:09 AM »

I hear all they do is switch  out the spring in the battery compartment.  I'm going to see if they'll mess with some other stuff for me, too.  I.e. you can't turn the LED's off on the MixPre/FP24...I'm gonna see if they can fix that. ;)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 04:14:47 PM »

no effect, as john said, they just replace the spring, and they also give the unit a once over....all the units I have heard of that went back had the potenimeters (sp?) replaced as well. so that gives a little piece of mind...

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 05:24:47 PM »
I had my gain knobs tightened when I sent mine back

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 10:46:54 AM »
Oh well...if it happens again I'll get in touch with Sound Devices.  I have to send it in to get the rechargeable battery mod anyway...

have you tried using rechargeable AA nimh batteries on the fp24....i believe these stock units already have this mod built in.

i believe it was the older mp-2 units that needed the mod, but the mixpre's should be ok.

if not its only $35 to get it done, and they will recalibrate it and check the pots for free (if you ask). sound devices has very good service and turnaround time. make sure you call sd in advance and get a work order # prior to sending it in.

i have never had a problem as you discussed although it seems my channel #1 (left) always seems a little lower than the channel 2 (right). i noted this to sd when i sent my unit in for the nimh mod, and they checked it out and said it was ok. maybe it was a matter of where i was set up in the hall??
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 12:10:08 AM »
Oh well...if it happens again I'll get in touch with Sound Devices.  I have to send it in to get the rechargeable battery mod anyway...

i have never had a problem as you discussed although it seems my channel #1 (left) always seems a little lower than the channel 2 (right). i noted this to sd when i sent my unit in for the nimh mod, and they checked it out and said it was ok. maybe it was a matter of where i was set up in the hall??

who, seems like de ja vu but you might have mentioned that before, but I'll say it again: my left channel is louder than my right.  But it could also be my mics.  Good thing for independent channel gain :)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
Re: Help with the Shure FP24/MixPre/MP-2
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2004, 12:56:03 AM »
Oh well...if it happens again I'll get in touch with Sound Devices.  I have to send it in to get the rechargeable battery mod anyway...

have you tried using rechargeable AA nimh batteries on the fp24....i believe these stock units already have this mod built in.

i believe it was the older mp-2 units that needed the mod, but the mixpre's should be ok.

if not its only $35 to get it done, and they will recalibrate it and check the pots for free (if you ask). sound devices has very good service and turnaround time. make sure you call sd in advance and get a work order # prior to sending it in.

I haven't tried it yet.  I should probably throw my rechargeables in just to test.  But that means I'd have to find the ac adapter for my charger... ;)

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 01:09:29 AM »
you must use 2 rechargables.  If you use one rechargable and one alky, it might work because a rechargable will work in one of the positions, can't remember which, however.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 01:12:16 AM »
you must use 2 rechargables.  If you use one rechargable and one alky, it might work because a rechargable will work in one of the positions, can't remember which, however.

Oh man, I was gonna throw in a rechargeable and a rock and see if it worked. ::)

;D

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2004, 01:15:31 AM »
why I outta!

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2004, 03:33:53 PM »
BTW, the FP24/MixPre does work with rechargeables without any kind of mod, if anyone was wondering.  Guess I probably should've tried it out first. ;)

Offline Chris K

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2004, 03:52:32 PM »
BTW, the FP24/MixPre does work with rechargeables without any kind of mod, if anyone was wondering.  Guess I probably should've tried it out first. ;)

;) told ya' so!

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2004, 04:11:25 PM »

;) told ya' so!

+t for making me try it before contacting SD about a mod. ;D

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2004, 02:03:37 AM »
Actually, it doesn't work.  For some reason it powered up in my room, but at the show tonight I couldn't get any power from my rechargeables.  Tested it again a few mins ago and no dice...rechargeables will not work (I wonder what happened earlier).

Thankfully Damon had some extra AAs he was able to give me.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2004, 02:41:01 AM »
Actually, it doesn't work.  For some reason it powered up in my room, but at the show tonight I couldn't get any power from my rechargeables.  Tested it again a few mins ago and no dice...rechargeables will not work (I wonder what happened earlier).

di yuo use a rock instead of a AA? :P

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2004, 02:49:15 AM »

;D
+t

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2004, 04:37:53 AM »

;D
+t

right backatcha

Offline Chris K

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2004, 03:07:16 PM »

wow...i'm shocked  :o

are you sure the rechargeables were ok? send sound devices and email and ask if it should work?

-Elvis Presley

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2004, 04:15:31 PM »

wow...i'm shocked  :o

are you sure the rechargeables were ok? send sound devices and email and ask if it should work?

Yeah I'm gonna call them soon.  They rechareables are pretty new (only used once or twice), freshly charged, and worked fine in my digital camera. 

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2004, 05:19:40 PM »
Yeah and SD wont touch it.  Gotta go through Shure...  Who probably has to send them to SD anyway. ::)

Offline AT853rxwh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2004, 12:09:25 PM »
Yeah and SD wont touch it.  Gotta go through Shure...  Who probably has to send them to SD anyway. ::)

John, I have a ghetto fix for it...

I ran outta alky AA's and only had rechargeables, and I figured out what the deal is with the spring.

If you look at the spring in the battery comparment you can see the end or last turn is very open.  What happens is the alky batt doesnt actually make contact at the tip, but around the tip.  Rechargeables are covered there so no contact.  In a pinch I took a small piece of tinfoil and make a piece round bout the size of a washer.  stuck it in, the the rechargeables and was in business.  I will prolly send mine in for the mod, but I know you are in a different situation... you might wanna look for a small washer that would fit in there to make the connection, that or add another smaller spring maybe...   And if ya blow anything up, it wasn't my idea!

(on a side note: I did look to make sure that I couldn't short anything out, and if you look at the neg side (the part that screws into the mixpre) it only goes down bout 1/2 the length of a single aa, so unless you stuck a HUGE wad of foil, (the size of a AA and a half!) you will be fine.)
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 55 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com