Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Earthworks SR77 > V2 > UA5 or ?  (Read 7919 times)

Offline joeshambro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
Earthworks SR77 > V2 > UA5 or ?
« on: July 28, 2003, 10:56:48 PM »
hey folks...

Considering the quality of the AD in the UA5 (which isn't *that* bad, to my ears...), would it be worth running V2 > UA5, or is there another solution that is much better for the price difference?  I really like the V3 (especially the ANSR)...  but haven't seen it come upf or an affordable price yet.

Really enjoying the SR77's...  but I'm thinking the V2 might bring them out a little bit better (especially since I plan to use them in studio/live 24-track recording)...

Any help is much appreaciated..

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Earthworks SR77 > V2 > UA5 or ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 12:18:48 AM »
if you like the sound of the v3 you might want to look into getting the presence mod done on your ua-5.

also, +t for the smooth transaction on the shockmounts.   ;D

nick

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 12:39:01 AM »
Search on Oade for problems running Earthworks mics with a UA-5. I've heard of at least two people with issues and there may be others.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 02:04:47 AM »
I never had a problem running SR-71 into a UA-5.  I did suck the batteries a little more, but nothing blew up as was predicted by many.  I think the p-mod might make those earthworks a little bit brighter than they already are.  I'd like to hear some ew>w-mod tapes, though.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 09:29:03 AM »
How about some earthworks->mini-me tapes, I bet they would be an interesting listen!

daryan

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 10:21:21 AM »
I never had a problem running SR-71 into a UA-5.  I did suck the batteries a little more, but nothing blew up as was predicted by many.  

+t for nothing blowing up!   :D

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2003, 10:55:21 AM »
I run Earthworks SR77 into a w-mod UA5, and I really like it.  It takes a lot of battery power, but no problems so far.  I have run my mics with a V2-> SBM1, and I think that the V2/SBM1 sounds better than the UA5, but not by that much.  At least it's not so much better to warrant the extra $$$ it would cost to get the V2 IMO.  

I would be willing to send you some DATs of my Earthworks with the V2/SBM1 (Dead, Alpine) and the UA5 (Phish, Alpine) if you want to listen and make your own judgement.

AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2003, 11:40:59 AM »
Just to provide the technical basis for my opinion, besides having heard from the people who had problems/meltdowns, here's the link to Doug Oade's post:

http://www.oade.com/cgi-bin/miva?Forum/technology/showmsg.mv+message=3935
Out of the game … for now?

Offline EA

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2003, 08:41:37 AM »
I've run V2 > UA-5 and wasn't impressed. I'm MUCH happier with the V2 > sbm-1 combo. But, the V2 > UA-5 combo CAN be done if ya really want to. The problems that the other folks are talking about with running the 77's w/ the UA-5 wouldn't effect you since the V2 is what would be powering your mics. You'd just be using the UA-5 for the A/D. I think the suggestion of the 77's > mini-me is a good one. Those mics could certainly benefit from the warmer sound of the mini-me. And you can pick up a used mini-me almost as cheap as a V2 and a UA-5.
Why is there no boxing in the special olympics?

DaryanLenz

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2003, 09:13:09 AM »
I second that.  Although I think the mini-me pre is slightly less superior to that of the v2, you will get a FAR superior a/d and a pretty close pre amp stage.  I think the earthworks could REALLY benefit from the mini-me coloration, but that is just my opinion.  The stock a/d in the ua-5 is not that great.  You might almost make out just as well running v2->line in on an m1/d100.  Different story if using a d8/7 though!

Daryan

Ethan, wanna throw those BT sets on an ftp for me ;)

Offline EA

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2003, 11:50:09 AM »
Daryan, I can put it up on the FTP when I get home this evening. I'll drop ya an email when I do. Does this mean that you're not gonna go to Antibalas tomorrow? I'm tellin' ya, you're missing out if you don't go see these guys. I've seen this 8 times this year already. And there aren't many bands that I'll go see that often. So that should tell ya something.

Ethan, wanna throw those BT sets on an ftp for me ;)
Why is there no boxing in the special olympics?

Offline chitaper

• Taperssection Regular
  • Taper. Skeptic.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2003, 10:41:14 PM »
I run sr77's > V3, and have the 7-6-03 North Mississippi Allstars show up on Furthur now if you'd like to see what that sounds like. IMO, there's no coloration needed, I like the transparency of this rig.

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2003, 06:21:25 PM »
I run sr77's > V3, and have the 7-6-03 North Mississippi Allstars show up on Furthur now if you'd like to see what that sounds like. IMO, there's no coloration needed, I like the transparency of this rig.

I agree 100%!!  
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com