Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: cardioid lapel mic? good or bad?  (Read 1594 times)

Offline kono

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
cardioid lapel mic? good or bad?
« on: June 16, 2005, 03:33:15 AM »
Hi, I just got my r-1. I saw your post at soundprofessional and I was hoping you can give me some opinion about it's use.

I'm looking for a good mic to record lectures/speech. I record the lectures in a classroom and also outside in a car, open field, and so. I need it to be small and reject backround noise (a/c. vents. People talking. Ect..) as much as possible. Therefor I thought maybe using a lav cardioid mic.

But I was warned not to do so, cause most lav's are omni, and the cardioid one's suffer from handling noise, very sensitive to wind ect.. is this true? Handling noise is something you get all the time or just when playing with the mic severely? And about the wind, some kind of wind shield can't fix the problem. Is it that bad?

If I'm wrong than please suggest me a good lav mic to do the job.

BTW, I've been using a lav till now with MD, it gave me reasonable results, and I also used it in a NON-CONVENTIONAL way, I didn't put the lav on the lecturer body cause I can't, but only placing it infront of him on a table stand like a regular mic, or if it was outdoor I simply stood next to the lecturer (1ft) holding the lav in my hand pointing it toward his mouth and that's it.

But if I'm right, and cardioid lav won't do the job, than what kind of mic should I use? I was pointed toward SENNHEISER K6+ME66 or AKG BLUE LINE. Any recommendations? I know a shotgun might do the job correctly, but I'm afraid that's a bit big for me. One exception is TINY-MIC, it looks like a fair one.

Thank you very much for your help,

Avraham.

p.s, using the edirol r-1 mic-in with sony ecm-ds70p gave me hiss. Any idea? Previously, when I used it with sony MD, I got no hiss. Why?

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
Re: cardioid lapel mic? good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 04:13:13 PM »
if you want directionality and small size, you might check out audio technica's mini mics. there are a number of models and several have interchangeable caps, meaning you can try cardioid or even hyper-cardioid (even more directional) depending on your location.  Also, they tend to be reasonably priced. 

Good luck.
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com