Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: vocals louder than instruments  (Read 1853 times)

Offline DisturbedPyro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "Taper you are looking for I am not."
    • Disturbed Trade Forum
vocals louder than instruments
« on: July 09, 2009, 10:20:49 PM »
i was going to master one of my shows, and noticed the vocals are quite a bit louder than the instruments. i stack taped on the left side, about 3 feet away from the PA, which was set up on the ground just in front of the stage. this was my first time taping at this place (outdoor event). i always stack tape at another venue and it always comes out much more even. i know sometimes certain instruments are played out of one PA and the other instruments out of the other so i assume this was the configuration at this show. just curious if there is any way to boost the instruments to make it more even. heres a (raw) sample: http://www.sendspace.com/file/v6l9d3

its not like you cant hear the instruments at all, so its not that big of a deal. i was just curious what i could use to mess with it. thanks
My Masters
One song samples of all my masters

My Rig: IRiver H320 -> Church-Audio STC-11 Cardioid Mics -> BAT-2B

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: vocals louder than instruments
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 11:32:05 PM »
Interesting, usually the vocals in my tapes are somewhat low relative to the instruments and percussion.  The few where the vocals are prominent tend to sound the best because of that.  Not sure what you can do besides fiddle around with EQ to adjust the frequencies with your favorite audio editing software.

Online anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 09:46:08 AM »
i always stack tape at another venue and it always comes out much more even. i know sometimes certain instruments are played out of one PA and the other instruments out of the other so i assume this was the configuration at this show.

This typically has more to do with the stage volume of the band than anything else. The louder something is on stage the less I run through the FOH.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline Frequincy

• Taperssection Regular
  • I Am The Last Dinosaur
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 01:15:45 PM »
I don't think I would use EQ for this problem because too many frequencies of other instruments lay in the vocal range. You'd be chasing your tail. I'd use a compressor or a limiter. I'd find a slower attack time to miss the drum transients and try to catch more vocals.

I agree with anodyne33, stage volume of players usually dictates the level they come out FOH, especially with smaller PA systems.

easy jim

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 01:25:26 PM »
I don't think I would use EQ for this problem because too many frequencies of other instruments lay in the vocal range. You'd be chasing your tail. I'd use a compressor or a limiter. I'd find a slower attack time to miss the drum transients and try to catch more vocals.

I agree with anodyne33, stage volume of players usually dictates the level they come out FOH, especially with smaller PA systems.

agreed

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.16 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com