Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: problem with creative nomad jb3 software and windows 7  (Read 6984 times)

Offline Onefish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
problem with creative nomad jb3 software and windows 7
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:49:36 AM »
Can anybody help me figure out why my nomad installation disc is not compatible with windows 7

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: problem with creative nomad jb3 software and windows 7
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 09:51:05 AM »
Can anybody help me figure out why my nomad installation disc is not compatible with windows 7

I don't think anyone has successfully used their JB3 with Win 7, unfortunately.  I could be wrong though. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 10:32:13 AM »

I don't think anyone has successfully used their JB3 with Win 7, unfortunately.  I could be wrong though.

That was my experience.
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline Ghost of sml42

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:41:39 PM »
yeah, the drivers don't work with win7. considering the jb3 has been effectively unsupported by creative for years I guess it shouldn't really be a surprise. it definitely worked ok on vista and xp though (my previous two laptops).

if you're into linux, search for gnomad2. worked a charm when I last tried it (a few years ago, admittedly). if you had time to play around experimenting, I suppose it would be theoretically possible to have gnomad2 running on linux on a virtual machine inside virtualbox running under win7... but my head hurts just thinking about that!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 06:20:14 PM »
Noted when I ran into problems with Samplitude SE v.9 in Win 7:

if your Win7 is the Pro version (or above) you can install older software in XP Mode using the Windows Virtual Machine.

Might be worth a try.  FWIW, SAM installed just fine under WVM, but there were screwy soundcard issues with WVM, and I eventually got SAM working on Win 7 natively.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Onefish

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 08:08:12 AM »
Thanks for the help, I still have a hard drive with XP, I will install on an l
older machine, just to get one show off of the jb3, then I guess it is time to upgrade my rig

runonce

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 11:04:27 AM »
what we really need here is a minimalist linux distro with Gnomad2 as part of its preinstalled software.

Then you would just need to make a live CD or bootable USB stick - run a live session on any machine, start Gnomad2...transfer your files to the directory of your choice...shut down and reboot to your OS.

Offline AdmNaismith

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 09:27:34 PM »
I hope this is still useful to somebody:

I just upgraded to Win 7 Ultimate this week 22 Oct 12, and am still happily using my JB3 player (only the best mp3 player ever released!).

I loaded the 2.01 driver  in compatibility mode (Win XP, SP2).  Right-click and then click 'Troubleshoot Compatibility'.  Load the driver as recommended by Windows. 
From there I loaded Creative Media Source 3 (the one that still rips mp3s).  I did this with the player plugged in, but I'm not sure that is neccessary.  MediaSource loaded right up without compatibility issues.  From there I loaded the Zen/JB3 module and CDDB module for Creative MediaSource 3.
Use the USB 2 port for connecting, the FireWire appears to be non-operative in this set-up.

Everything works like a charm except that the JB3 icon does not appear in Exploer/My Computer like it did in XP.  Small price to pay for functionality and continued long life from my player.

I think you can e-mail me from here if you need any of this software or further explaination.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 05:58:48 PM by AdmNaismith »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 09:50:43 AM »
That could likely provide some help to some TS'er who may have stuff on an old JB3 but unwilling to retrieve it.  ....or, hell, want to tape with it.

btw, are you related to James Naismith?  ;)
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline AdmNaismith

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »
That could likely provide some help to some TS'er who may have stuff on an old JB3 but unwilling to retrieve it.  ....or, hell, want to tape with it.

I did change the HD in my JB a couple of years ago, but it still play music just fine.  I'm hard pressed to even replace it, seeing as nothing holds more than 32g of music anymore (I'm past 20g and growing fast).

btw, are you related to James Naismith?  ;)

No, my screen name is based on the novels of Lois McMaster Bujold.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 07:16:49 AM »
I did change the HD in my JB a couple of years ago, but it still play music just fine.  I'm hard pressed to even replace it, seeing as nothing holds more than 32g of music anymore (I'm past 20g and growing fast).

Get one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-8GB-Sandisk-Sansa-e280-Mp3-Player-with-Voice-Recorder-FM-Radio-MicroSD-Slot-/190599857321?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandisk-Sansa-Clip-PLUS-8GB-MP3-w-MicroSD-Slot-Black-/310448592107?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item48482d94eb

Then Rockbox it and add a 32 GB Micro SD card
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-32GB-Micro-SD-HC-New-MicroSD-Memory-Card-Mini-/170621922771?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item27b9dbedd3
You can even do a 64 GB card if you're willing to spend considerably more money.

You'll now have a reasonably priced 40 GB player which has to be far better than your JB3. It is much smaller, easy to use and with Rockbox has all the options you could ever want. I love my Sansa e280.

Many members here have used the JB3 to record with (especially in the past) but there was never too much mention of how good it was as an mp3 player. In contrast, many who recorded with a Rockboxed HP120 and the like raved about those machines as mp3 players.

Once you get used to using a Rockboxed player, you'll never want to go back.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 07:29:05 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

runonce

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 07:46:57 AM »

Many members here have used the JB3 to record with (especially in the past) but there was never too much mention of how good it was as an mp3 player. In contrast, many who recorded with a Rockboxed HP120 and the like raved about those machines as mp3 players.

Thats just not true - the JB3 got very good revues for audio output quality and was well regarded in their heyday...I've seen guys with 160 GB  drives in theirs.

Note: they are still bring well over 100 bucks a piece on ebay...

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 07:55:36 AM »
I stand corrected, although I would think the JB3 might seem too big for many to want to deal with today (at least as a portable player).

I love Rockbox compared to any player's native firmware and you can't use it with the JB3.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 08:04:44 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 11:30:29 AM »
The above info is excellent, if I ever want to upgrade my old pc.

I was out taping last night with one of my JB3's..it's showing it's age though and didn't want to boot up. I traced the fault to a charger with a frayed wire. Now down to just one JB3 charger.

Succesfully open taped the gig though, with an iRiver in my other rig.

By the way was the overheating issue that affects older JB3s traced to the hard drive? I maybe could try replacing the machine that overheats with a 160GB drive.. 
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

runonce

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 12:50:18 PM »
The above info is excellent, if I ever want to upgrade my old pc.

I was out taping last night with one of my JB3's..it's showing it's age though and didn't want to boot up. I traced the fault to a charger with a frayed wire. Now down to just one JB3 charger.

Succesfully open taped the gig though, with an iRiver in my other rig.

By the way was the overheating issue that affects older JB3s traced to the hard drive? I maybe could try replacing the machine that overheats with a 160GB drive..

The Sony Playstation Portable power supply works with the JB3...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PSP-100-Power-Supply-Adapter-5V-DC-2000mA-/140871697285

Not sure there was ever one thing that caused overheating...I had one that overheated easily, and once I cleaned some goo (flux?) off the circuit board - it never overheated again.

My most used JB3 - heat never seemed to be an issue.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com