Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V3 vs. Mini-me comparisons  (Read 12461 times)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
V3 vs. Mini-me comparisons
« on: March 07, 2003, 06:52:25 PM »
Due to a very generous gift certifcate I got to Muscianfriend.com and the nice 6 months interest free payments on their credit that they offer I decided to score a V3 (about the only thing they had that interested me), 6 months to pay off the $500 balance is cake.

So I will have both the V3 and the mini-me, and I will be taping two shows in March to do some comp tapes for everyone.

First show will be on 3/21, plan to run one deck straight from the V3 and another deck running V3 analog out to the mini-me line in. This will give us a nice look at the difference in A/D converters between the 2, a lot of people have been wanting this and I have seen few people do it.

The second show I will be doing on 3/28, and I will run one set with the V3 and the second with just the mini-me to give a mini-me, V3 stand alone comp tape.

Will have these available for anyone that is interested in April, probably use the www.rochestergroove.com web site to distribute since they have such phat bandwidth.

I will be back in touch
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re:V3 vs. Mini-me comparisons
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 07:57:42 PM »
That would be awesome!  I have seen lots of comp tapes being offered with mics > V3 versus mics > V3 > MiniMe, but none with mics > V3 against mics > MiniMe.  I would love to hear on a comp tape how each one does as a stand-alone unit.  Everybody is trying to isolate the A/D converters in each unit which is fine, but I have the feeling that most people use them as stand-alones.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 08:22:29 PM »
Cool, I figured I would play with all the variations, got to split the mic signal so I can tape the same set with both as a standalone
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline hippies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 08:41:10 PM »
That would be awesome!  I have seen lots of comp tapes being offered with mics > V3 versus mics > V3 > MiniMe, but none with mics > V3 against mics > MiniMe.  I would love to hear on a comp tape how each one does as a stand-alone unit.  Everybody is trying to isolate the A/D converters in each unit which is fine, but I have the feeling that most people use them as stand-alones.

my feelings exactly, Jamie, and i don't know WHY this is the case?  regardless if you run one of these boxes as a standalone, (i don't, i run MP-2 in front of my Mme), i feel the best way to compare these units is to run them head to head w/ like mics.  not 'analog out from the V3 to a Mme'.  

i would be more than happy to offer up my Mme/ 140s to someone interested in comparing like mics against the V3.  my .02...

~S

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2003, 09:49:56 PM »
I think comparing them on all levels is a good thing. I am curious which A/D is better, I am curious which one is a better stand alone. Personally, if there is one thing I am learning about taping, is that different gear works best in different situations.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2003, 10:34:25 PM »
true, but as Jamie says, the A/D comparison has been done to death!...

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2003, 11:31:11 PM »
maybe for everyone else, but not me!!! ;D

I have a feeling the my view will fall in the realm that both are good and that each one can be used for different environments to get the best sound

My experience with the mini-me is that if you want a nice warm sound and a little more room rejection, use the mini-me.

If you are in a really good acoustic environment and want that nice transparent sound, use the V3, and sometimes when the fancy strikes me and I have room, run both ;D
In Tyler we Trust

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2003, 06:09:47 AM »
i thought the V3 did a GREAT job at reflecting some of the bad acoustics in the shows i taped.  from what i have heard of the MME i am not convinced it is better in this realm.  
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2003, 10:58:45 AM »
well, those are the things I want to find out  8)
In Tyler we Trust

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2003, 11:25:37 AM »
definitely!!!!!   ;D
have fun,
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2003, 01:23:43 PM »
>>
my feelings exactly, Jamie, and i don't know WHY this is the case?  regardless if you run one of these boxes as a standalone, (i don't, i run MP-2 in front of my Mme), i feel the best way to compare these units is to run them head to head w/ like mics.  not 'analog out from the V3 to a Mme'.  <<

i don't have another set of 4022s....

i may try the y cable from mics to both units, with pnahtom on both (like marc did) but i haven't yet....

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2003, 01:42:07 PM »
damn scott, i thought you ran around with two pairs.....  :P
the tubes should be arriving to you anyday!!!!!!!!!!
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2003, 04:54:38 PM »
sweet

Offline Marc Nutter

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2003, 09:43:58 AM »
We did a comparison of V3/Mini Me as standalone units by using MBHO 603's with a Y-Cable to each unit and each unit to its own recorder.  

50 or more copies went out via bit torrent download from our site just a few weeks ago.

I believe this is the type of comparison you are looking for.

If interested, just post a request for it in our forum.  www.sonicsense.com/forum.htm or ask for one around here.  I'm sure someone has it to share.

Happy Recording,

Marc

Offline Jason Brantley

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2003, 12:17:42 PM »
Here's the .txt file that accompanies the Comparison we did.  If anyone still needs this contact me to make arrangements.

JB (jason@sonicsense)

Comparison 1:

Opening act "Global Funk Council"

Direct Comparison of the MiniMe and V3 as standalone units at 24bit/48kHz

One set of Microphones was used (MBHO603/KA200).  The signal from these mics was split using a simple XLR splitter on each channel--one feed to the Apogee MiniMe and one to the Grace Lunatec V3 (Both units with phantom power applied).

The Apogee MiniMe was hooked up to one Sony Picturebook via USB using a PCMCIA USB 2.0 cardbus.  (24/48)

The Lunatec V3 was hooked up to a separate Sony Picturebook via SPDIF out to the Nuendo Multiset/PCMCIA Card.  (24/48)

Comparison 2:

Headliner "Oteil and the Peacemakers"

Comparison of just the Analog to Digital converters (MiniMe and V3) with their respective word length reduction algorithms (UV22 and ANSR) at 16bit/48kHz

Same mics and cables as comparison 1.  In this case the V3 was used as the pre-amp for both rigs.  

The SPDIF out of the V3 went to the Multiset/PCMCIA card of one of the Picturebooks.  

A short pair of XLR cables went from the Analog out of the V3 to the Analog Input of the MiniMe (which was calibrated to match sensitivity of the V3 ADC).  The USB out of the MiniMe went to the other computer as described in comparison 1.

Each set and recording has its own .txt file to explain the source lineage.  If you have questions feel free to drop us a line.

Marc Nutter (nutter@sonicsense.com)
Jason Brantley (jason@sonicsense.com)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com