Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: running the 148  (Read 11340 times)

Offline lynchie

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
running the 148
« on: January 28, 2005, 05:29:35 PM »
going to SKB tonight and I'll be running my new(used)148 that I bought from Jonny. I have a question, is it ok to run the 148 standing up so that the cables come out vertically and not out the back. anyone run it this way?? or should I make sure that it's flat horizontally. Thanks for the help!! 2 nights of SKB, tonight and tomorrow.

DPA 4023's,mg210's
Sonosax Sx-m32
Mixpre 6ii
Oppo DV-981 HD>Grace 901>ancient Harmon Kardon Citation>Klipsch HSF 8.5 floor speakers

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: running the 148
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 05:31:12 PM »
going to SKB tonight and I'll be running my new(used)148 that I bought from Jonny. I have a question, is it ok to run the 148 standing up so that the cables come out vertically and not out the back. anyone run it this way?? or should I make sure that it's flat horizontally. Thanks for the help!! 2 nights of SKB, tonight and tomorrow.

Iv'e run it every direction you can think of, no issues.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 07:00:42 PM »

Iv'e run it every direction you can think of, no issues.

what he said
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline grayp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 08:00:18 PM »
i run it vert every time.   never had a problem, other than leaving it on all night :)
Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 12:22:13 AM »
how long does it take to charge the batteries ?I have had it charging for 5 hours now and I dont see the battery meter moving

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 08:44:40 AM »
how long does it take to charge the batteries ?I have had it charging for 5 hours now and I dont see the battery meter moving

From what I remember, it takes awhile (8-10hrs).

Offline Charlies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 09:14:02 AM »
I usually plug it in a night (usually late) and it's full in the am.
AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 09:20:20 AM »
The M148 doesn't have a batt meter and neither does it's charger ...so what meter are you talking about?...To answer your Q...the M148 is a slow...SLOW charge, so over night or a 1:1 usage to charge is about right...meaning 1 hr of use takes 1 hr of charge.  Did I mention SLOW ;-)

jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 09:35:37 AM »
what the red and green meter for on the front?

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 09:44:48 AM »
what the red and green meter for on the front?
ok, the charge Indicator lights...cool., not really a meter...no biggie...
the red light is to let you know you have full charge...with the M148 turned on and NOT connected to charger, you push the charge indicator switch, the red and green lights will come on if you have full charge.  if only the green comes on, then you have sufficent charge but not a fully charged battery. no lights, no charge.
 hope this helps
peace
jah
 edit...OBTW, the amber light on the back of the M148 is to let you know the internal charger is working......
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 09:46:30 AM by JAH »
modified akg 461/2/ck8

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 09:51:54 AM »
amber light on back of the 148?dont have one ???

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 09:54:11 AM »
at least you have some lights....I have zero on mine. 8)
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 10:16:24 AM »
My 148 has an on/off switch, XLR connections, and an analog battery meter. I have no lights on it whatsoever. Seems like JAH is talking about some of the newer M148s which do have a few lights.

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 10:56:10 AM »
My 148 has an on/off switch, XLR connections, and an analog battery meter. I have no lights on it whatsoever. Seems like JAH is talking about some of the newer M148s which do have a few lights.
WHAT!  are you sure you have an OADE M148...sounds more like the M248 Brad   :)  got a pic?
Here's one of the M148 http://www.oade.com/audiocenter/preamps.html It is the only version of the 148 that I have seen.

doh! this is not the 148 I have sorry in my haaste...I know somebody has the pic here...I think this is prolly a m118...regardless it hasn't any meters either.

jah
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 10:58:27 AM by JAH »
modified akg 461/2/ck8

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 11:07:08 AM »
HEATH didn't you have a pic of the 148?
modified akg 461/2/ck8

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 11:08:52 AM »
from what I understand, there are different flavors of M148...he made a couple of minorly different types, in terms of meters/lights, and the converted M118 also looks different

marc0789

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 11:24:51 AM »
from what I understand, there are different flavors of M148...he made a couple of minorly different types, in terms of meters/lights, and the converted M118 also looks different

mine has an amber light to show when the charger is plugged in, and a low battery light (green-red). when the green goes, the thing is getting low. but you can get an amazing amount of time from that point on. I got like 3-4 hours after the green went out.

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 11:30:27 AM »
WHAT!  are you sure you have an OADE M148...sounds more like the M248 Brad   :)  got a pic?
Here's one of the M148 http://www.oade.com/audiocenter/preamps.html It is the only version of the 148 that I have seen.

doh! this is not the 148 I have sorry in my haaste...I know somebody has the pic here...I think this is prolly a m118...regardless it hasn't any meters either.

The link to the Oade site above could either be an M118 or an M148. I believe both looked the same, but some were born M118s, and some M148s. Many of the older M118s were silver (like the one Nate has/had). Mine looks exactly like the pic in the link. I have sent Doug an email to confirm this. I'll post the response once I get it...
Brad K.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2005, 11:40:27 AM »

These things do indeed exist, JAH.

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2005, 12:16:19 PM »

The link to the Oade site above could either be an M118 or an M148. I believe both looked the same, but some were born M118s, and some M148s. Many of the older M118s were silver (like the one Nate has/had). Mine looks exactly like the pic in the link. I have sent Doug an email to confirm this. I'll post the response once I get it...
Brad K.

cool , me too on the Doug post ;-)  I think the oade photo is the m118..so your m148  has an analog meter??? I don't see one in the pic????? What I see is a push button and not sure what is below it...almost looks like a jack for something (doubt it thought). I'm goning to have to revisit the pic and try to make out what that thing is below the button. 

These things do indeed exist, JAH.
I've never heard of or seen any other model othr than "my" version of the m148 (which seems to be what some of the others have too)...R and G lights and small push button and of course the on/off slide switch & xlr's...interesting
 What other models have you seen MIC D?

modified akg 461/2/ck8

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2005, 12:23:09 PM »
at least you have some lights....I have zero on mine. 8)
really? wow..... learning more every day. :D

amber light on back of the 148?dont have one ???
but you have the R and G lights...hummmm  :)

Seems like JAH is talking about some of the newer M148s which do have a few lights.

Seems like I am ;D

peace
jah
modified akg 461/2/ck8

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2005, 12:24:53 PM »

Brad K.

cool , me too on the Doug post ;-)  I think the oade photo is the m118..so your m148  has an analog meter??? I don't see one in the pic????? What I see is a push button and not sure what is below it...almost looks like a jack for something (doubt it thought). I'm goning to have to revisit the pic and try to make out what that thing is below the button. 

The pic on the Oade site has the button to activate the battery meter, then the analog battery meter (red/green meter). Below that is the on/off switch. Then of course are the XLR plugs and screws. On the back. there is just a jack for the charger, and that's it. Besides these, nothing else is on the exterior.
The battery meter just moves when the unit is turned on and the button is depressed!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 12:26:26 PM by bkirby »

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2005, 12:59:49 PM »
The pic on the Oade site has the button to activate the battery meter, then the analog battery meter (red/green meter). Below that is the on/off switch. Then of course are the XLR plugs and screws. On the back. there is just a jack for the charger, and that's it. Besides these, nothing else is on the exterior.
The battery meter just moves when the unit is turned on and the button is depressed!
I looked closed at the thing  ;) under the push button and always saw the red line and triangle (never realized what it was) but now I do see the green triangle too...so when you push the button this red line will move to the green...an actual analog meter type movement? or is this an illuminated line of either red or green indications?
  Does the red line always show when power is on or off...as in an active ckt that drains power when not in use?  How does this meter action work?

Just for fun...how many of you still have feet on the bottom of your pre...I have 2 left. ;-)

Thanks Brad and everyone.
jah
modified akg 461/2/ck8

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2005, 01:26:37 PM »
Well, I still have all four feet left, but they are just hanging on!
As far as the meter goes, it's just a needle that moves when the button is depressed when the unit is turned on. If it is turned off, the button does not work at all. While off, the needle will stay in the red. When the battery is completely dead, the needle will stay in the red. When the M148 is turned on, the needle will turn to the right depending on how much the battery is charged. Of course, all the way to the right in the green is fully charged. Nothing on the whole M148 that I have is illuminated!
Brad K.

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2005, 01:45:29 PM »
As far as the meter goes, it's just a needle that moves when the button is depressed when the unit is turned on. If it is turned off, the button does not work at all. While off, the needle will stay in the red. When the battery is completely dead, the needle will stay in the red. When the M148 is turned on, the needle will turn to the right depending on how much the battery is charged. Of course, all the way to the right in the green is fully charged. Nothing on the whole M148 that I have is illuminated!
Brad K.
cool, thanks Brad...
SO Phishscales...is this what you have too?
modified akg 461/2/ck8

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2005, 02:22:58 PM »
got the Doug reply on the M148...
The Original M148 was silver and had an analog meter. The first black
M148s had analog meters. Only the newer M148s have the LEDs, I did that
when the meter became impossible to get. The M118 was only made in
silver and had the analog meter. Either could be +6 or +20dB of
gain...Doug

No mention of the no light version and the lack of amber on the back....oh well...so many versions of this beast do exixt..as we all surmised ;-)

edit...also didn't know it could be a +6dB version either....humm ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 02:25:23 PM by JAH »
modified akg 461/2/ck8

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2005, 02:32:47 PM »
JAH,
Got the same email from Doug. I thought there were a couple of black M118s out there, but I guess not. Anyway, they all sound good!!! ;D

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2005, 01:39:50 AM »
Brad K.
mines is just like the photo and i have no illuminated lights at all

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2005, 07:19:40 AM »
JAH,
Got the same email from Doug. I thought there were a couple of black M118s out there, but I guess not. Anyway, they all sound good!!! ;D

i think he forgot because the one that I got from jim pollock (the other one) who went to tim and now I think heath has, was once a m118
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2005, 07:44:06 AM »
Brad K.
mines is just like the photo and i have no illuminated lights at all
So are all your questions answered after all this?  ;)
modified akg 461/2/ck8

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2005, 08:33:12 AM »
Yes all questions answered .thanks ;)

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2005, 01:36:59 PM »
The M148 doesn't have a batt meter and neither does it's charger ...so what meter are you talking about?...To answer your Q...the M148 is a slow...SLOW charge, so over night or a 1:1 usage to charge is about right...meaning 1 hr of use takes 1 hr of charge.  Did I mention SLOW ;-)

jah

The older ones had a meter that you pushed a button to activate.  You may be able to make it out in my avatar.

mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline Tim

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2005, 01:38:44 PM »
JAH,

i think he forgot because the one that I got from jim pollock (the other one) who went to tim and now I think heath has, was once a m118

cool. I always wondered the lineage of that beast...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2005, 02:02:01 PM »
JAH,

cool. I always wondered the lineage of that beast...

i guess to further complicate it, I actually bought JC Arnett's v2 to trade for the m148, ehich was later determined to be a m118. Once Pollock found out about this he was very willing to pay for the upgrade, or maybe we split it
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Tim

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2005, 02:05:28 PM »
it wouldn't have been a true panic related story without working JC or Julian in :P

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2005, 02:33:35 PM »
it wouldn't have been a true panic related story without working JC or Julian in :P

yeah and kinder offered molly to all
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Tim

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2005, 03:05:27 PM »

yeah and kinder offered molly to all

bwhahahahaahaha

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2005, 03:34:17 PM »
i used tims old 148 once :)

that baby has been around, and now is in team pburgh ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2005, 12:58:57 AM »

My 148 was Doug's and then Julian's, so there ya have it   ;)
Oade preamp museum curator

marc0789

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2005, 09:55:27 AM »
Mine is Carl's, and as predicted, he missed it right after selling it to me. :P

Ray76

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2005, 03:38:32 PM »
Mine is Carl's, and as predicted, he missed it right after selling it to me. :P

Damn funny sig you got Marc!!+T

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2005, 03:59:52 PM »
To be safe... count on charging the 148 for 2 hours for every hour of use.  If it becomes too complicated, really the best thing to do is to send it to me!  ::)
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.235 seconds with 70 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com