Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: question about SoundPro Preamp (now with brickwallingC)  (Read 5519 times)

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: question about SoundPro Preamp (now with brickwallingC)
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 01:36:24 AM »
mainly acoustic or rock.  I don't do much stealthing so size isn't a huge issue.  Ideally I'd love to go the ps-2>ad-20 route, but I am also working within a budget here, at least for the time being.  I think what I may look into is phantom modding the 853s and picking up a digi mod ua-5.  In the meantime, I'm wondering if I could get away with running the sp preamp with attenuators in front of it. 

how much do the hosa mit-176 line transformers go for? 

for acoustic shows, you may not need the attenuators. for normal rock shows, you could probably get away with using -10dB attenuation.

hosa mit-176 are around $20/ea. from various online shops.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Chad817

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2005, 01:45:48 AM »
thanks for the advice.

I'm guessing at this show on Friday if I had -10 attenuation things would have been fine.  I guess I'll think it over awhile.  I definitely think I will go the phantom mod route..but then it's going to be a matter of deciding on a ua-5, ps2 and ad20 combo, or just running the ps2 and relying on the jb3 pre
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 05:17:31 PM »
after reading up on the ad-20 and the fixed gain on that as well, I think the easiest and best route for me to go is a digi-mod ua-5 and the phantom mod to the soundpro 853's.  The all in one of the ua-5 just seems to good to pass up.  Now I just need to find one in the yard sale :)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2005, 05:57:20 PM »
Late in on this, but just my experience:

running at 831>sppre>jb3 and also CMC8>sppre>jb3  was NOT a success - if it was set at 29, it brickwalled (badly) and at 0, I couldn't get the gain up enough to get a decent signal even if I boosted it on the JB3 itself.  I was disappointed, since the budget wouldn't stretch to an AD20 with the mod for 1/8 and plug in power. (I'm recording classical singing - all acoustic) 

The budget-friendly solution for me was a Reactive preamp (available at www.reactivesounds.com or www.minidisco.com); similar in spec to the SP version, but for whatever reason I can easily get the right levels w/both sets of mics - it's a simple knob affair and you just turn it till you see the clipping light thhen knock it back a degree or two. No, it's not in the league of the Denecke and its friends, but it does the job, w/the JB3 internal AD taking care of that side of things. I can get good levels, it was w/in my budget and it's doing adequately until I can afford something significantly better.   

FWIW.

DPA4060
R09

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2005, 10:25:30 PM »
ah, that's what I was hoping to get from the sp preamp.  Regardless, I ended up going with a ua-5 from someone on the boards, hopefully finalizing the sale this week.  Then, phantom modding my 853s and I should be good to go.

+T to ya
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 10:31:32 PM by Chad817 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com