Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic storage  (Read 3836 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mic storage
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2020, 05:41:12 PM »
^ Thanks; much obliged. Do you have any idea how old those Pelicans were?

I have four. Today, I checked the foam in all of them. There was no evidence of shedding or breakdown, but I will definitely be keeping an eye on them. Two were provided by DPA with stereo pairs of mics, so I hope those will hold up, but I think I will put an extra layer of protection around the mics...

Offline old and in the way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2020, 06:55:53 PM »
If you are concerned about foam breaking down and contaminating your mics, I recommend these shipping tubes, which are nearly the same thing as what Schoeps includes with their mics.
0.79" dia is the size you want for 20 mm mics; 0.87" for 22 mm.
How snug is this? The Neumann KM series has a logo on the outside which is a raised enameled emblem...

I store my mics in the same tubes good and solid and safe . Foam windscreens i store is a Mason jar with a silica pac inside . I still have my old Nak 300's in the original 3 pak box same 28 yr old cut foam and still holding up fine the foam wind screens cp4's fell apart long ago . Replace with windtech screens

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2020, 09:56:49 PM »
^ Thanks; much obliged. Do you have any idea how old those Pelicans were?

I have four. Today, I checked the foam in all of them. There was no evidence of shedding or breakdown, but I will definitely be keeping an eye on them. Two were provided by DPA with stereo pairs of mics, so I hope those will hold up, but I think I will put an extra layer of protection around the mics...

The ones I used (not my personal ones) that had breakdown were probably 10 years or so old.  They were for storing AT and Shure lav mics and bodyback transmitters for school theater productions I used to work with.  Those mics saw a lot worse than case foam though, in the form of hundreds of sweaty teenagers!
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 11:52:43 AM »
^ Thanks again. Luckily, my mics haven't been exposed to any sweaty kids, but I am now a little leery of the foam! I tried to order those McMaster-Carr tubes some time ago, but they wouldn't ship overseas and I couldn't find a suitable substitute that was offered in less than bulk quantities. A kind soul here offered to re-ship for me, but I decided at the time that it wasn't worth the hassle; I may need to revisit that option.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2020, 06:47:58 AM »
^ Thanks again. Luckily, my mics haven't been exposed to any sweaty kids, but I am now a little leery of the foam! I tried to order those McMaster-Carr tubes some time ago, but they wouldn't ship overseas and I couldn't find a suitable substitute that was offered in less than bulk quantities. A kind soul here offered to re-ship for me, but I decided at the time that it wasn't worth the hassle; I may need to revisit that option.

Hmm, what about a local distributor for Schoeps?  In the US, Redding Audio sells the plastic mic tubes separately, so I would think they would think you would have an even easier time locating them.

No good if you have Neumanns or other 22mm mics though.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2020, 12:04:05 PM »
^ That's a great idea. No luck so far, though. Maybe Rose, who I suspect makes them for Schoeps, will sell me a few if I ask nicely! I am definitely not going to meet their minimum order quantity (1500 pieces)...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com