Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?  (Read 88157 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?
« Reply #165 on: September 16, 2019, 09:24:24 AM »
On my humble Zoom F1...

Zoom's hold implementation on the F8/F8N is superficially attractive in that the menu allows one to select which functions are locked and which are not when hold is engaged.  However, the fatal flaw that makes it useless is that to engage/disengage hold one must use a key combination which involves pressing buttons that can stop the recording.  Not going to risk that.  Good idea on selection options, but very questionable engage/disengage implementation.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #166 on: September 16, 2019, 10:33:43 AM »
Most implementations of a hold lock only the stop, record, play, etc. buttons and not the gain knobs. The goal is to prevent the accidental stopping of a recording.

This is, at least, how the hold function works on both the Tascam da-p1 and the Sony m10
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #167 on: September 16, 2019, 11:43:13 AM »
Roland r7 hold locks everything on the unit, and doesn't impact the bluetooth remote at all.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2019, 11:56:41 AM »
I think most handhelds except Sony lock everything. The handhelds I use - Tascam DR2ds, previously Edirol R-09s - lock all of their functions.  If turned on in the menu, the DR2d's infrared remote bypasses hold (which is the prefered implementation IMO).  The old R-09 displays a small hold is on message on screen when any button is pressed which is helpful in avoiding a WTF moment when one does not remember that it is engaged.

Regarding more complex multichannel decks: Tascam Dr-680 is switchable to lock either all front-panel controls (except headphone gain) or all top-panel controls, or both panels.  In lock-both-panels mode everything except headphones is locked.  I can't recall if R-44 locks gain its gain/sensitivity controls or not, but it locks everything else except headphone gain. 

I don't tend to use lock much on these larger multi channel recorders, but almost always do on the handhelds.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2019, 02:22:01 PM »
I don't suppose the battery life is any better on the MixPre II series, but would appreciate it if somebody could confirm.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline Brian G

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yeah I'm an AKG slut....
« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2019, 08:09:11 AM »
I don't suppose the battery life is any better on the MixPre II series, but would appreciate it if somebody could confirm.

I do not have a Ver. 1 10t, but on the 10II running 4 channels, and a mix track with a RAV23000, it had 25% left after 6 hours.
Mics: AKG c480b's, c460b's, c452eb's ( A60's, A51's ,A61's CK61, CK63, CK1, CK3 CK22, CK8), AKG C414 XLII/ST, AKG CK1x, CK3x M46,  Church Audio CA-11 ( Card and Omni)
Cables: Segue Dogstar Cables, Darktrain Silver Cables, Canare Starquad Cables
Pres: Lunatec V3, Naiant BiggerBox, Edirol UA-5, CA-9100 
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre 10II, Mixpre-6, Sony M10, Sony D50 ,Sony PCM-A10, Tascam DR-100mkii,Tascam DR-40, Edirol R-44
Playback: Fiio X5 v2, Fiio A3 v2, AKG 240MKII, AKG Y50BT

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2019, 10:16:57 AM »
I do not have a Ver. 1 10t, but on the 10II running 4 channels, and a mix track with a RAV23000, it had 25% left after 6 hours.

If that's just on the 8xAA batteries that that sounds rather excellent. I don't get near that on my Mixpre-3 (Ver 1) with the 8AA battery sled.

At the moment I'm 50:50 whether to upgrade, but if the hardware changes have led to any noticeable battery life improvement then I'm almost certain to upgrade.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #172 on: September 17, 2019, 10:37:08 AM »
he said with RAV23000.  so a battery pack.  I doubt AA is any better than it used to be.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #173 on: September 17, 2019, 10:44:38 AM »

If that's just on the 8xAA batteries that that sounds rather excellent. I don't get near that on my Mixpre-3 (Ver 1) with the 8AA battery sled.

At the moment I'm 50:50 whether to upgrade, but if the hardware changes have led to any noticeable battery life improvement then I'm almost certain to upgrade.

i wouldnt bank on it. same pres and it seems phantom eats up the most power. if it was a significant improvement theyd probably be touting it
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2019, 10:48:55 AM »
Oh dear, my reading comprehension has deteriorated somewhat. Back to 50:50 then.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2019, 05:18:01 PM »
i don't see why the hold function can't disable the gain knobs as well.  that would be a nice added option.
The way this is implemented on the tascam dr70d is terrible.
If a level knob gets moved while holding, then no level change occurs. But when the deck is switched off hold (maybe to stop the recording, or make a level change) the setting JUMPS to the knob location.
Awful.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2019, 06:05:09 PM »
i don't see why the hold function can't disable the gain knobs as well.  that would be a nice added option.
The way this is implemented on the tascam dr70d is terrible.
If a level knob gets moved while holding, then no level change occurs. But when the deck is switched off hold (maybe to stop the recording, or make a level change) the setting JUMPS to the knob location.
Awful.

Change the record, man.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2019, 06:27:07 PM »
It's implemented decently in other recorders where once hold is disengaged, each pot must be turned back to the original position it had when lock was engaged prior to the pot becoming operational again.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2019, 06:48:06 PM »
tascam DR100 mk3 has some options for this

hold can be set to "off", "all" or "levels", i wish it had "all but levels"

worse are the recorders like the sony A10 where hold and power are on the same slider and unlocking it risks powering down if you go too far

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2019, 12:11:18 AM »
It's implemented decently in other recorders where once hold is disengaged, each pot must be turned back to the original position it had when lock was engaged prior to the pot becoming operational again.
That would be great. Too bad That Awful Sound Company Around Mediocre couldn't implement that on the DR70D before they gave up on the firmware!? Glad I have a MixPre6 as my "A Unit" now!

The way this is implemented on the tascam dr70d is terrible.If a level knob gets moved while holding, then no level change occurs. But when the deck is switched off hold (maybe to stop the recording, or make a level change) the setting JUMPS to the knob location.Awful.
Change the record, man.

Am in in the habit of taking your advice on this topic?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.14 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com