Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Binaural Recording (latest thinking from tapers?)  (Read 17412 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Binaural Recording (latest thinking from tapers?)
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2021, 02:35:28 PM »
^
I had (still have somewhere I think) the TFB-2 predecessor to those, which came bundled with an Edirol R09 recorder I bought from Sound Professionals back in 2006.  They sounded natural and worked well as a simple and easy way to do some binaural ambiance recording.  I never really used them for recording music, except a few tests of additional mics used non-binarually as ambiance channels.  The primary problem I recall having with them was that they were not particularly well shielded and quite susceptible to EMI.  It appears from the description on the page linked above that the MKII version has significantly improved specifications, so perhaps the susceptibility to interference has been improved as well.

Edit- Note that in stating that the earlier-model TFB-2 binaural microphones "sounded natural" to me, that was in reference to a handful of binaural recordings I made, likely due in part to the fact that I was making those recordings with the mics placed in my own ears.  Be aware that this is one of the quirks of binaural recordings made with microphones placed inside the folds of the pina or outer ear near the entrance of the ear-canal. If you use your own ears to make the recording, it is more likely to sound natural to you, yet may not sound as natural to someone else who has significantly different shaped ears.  This is the influence of the shadowing, reflections and resonances imparted by the unique shapes of our outer ear structures and generally applies to all binaural recordings made in this way. However some ear-shapes and simplified ears on dummy heads may produce less "translation error" for listeners with differing ear shapes than others. 

This recording-ear/listener-ear influence is avoided on head-baffled recordings made with the microphones placed forward if the ear, or made with a dummy-head featuring simplified ears or no ears at all.  In that case the imaging may be less "wow, hyper-realistic" for those who's match is close, while being more generally correct overall for a wider range of listeners, and work better for playback over speakers.  The material being recorded can also make a difference.  Ambient binaural recordings that are more about emulating immersion in an audio environment, identification of the things in that environment and the 3-dimensional spatial imaging placement of them, may translate more easily to a wide range of listeners than music recordings which tend to lean more heavily on a perceptual awareness of correct tonality and timbre.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 03:17:38 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline BonoBeats

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2021, 10:36:41 AM »
The MKII is listed as having "premium" black cables, with unfortunately no other description. Hoping the shielding has improved, and it's not just marketing verbiage.
Now You See Me Telefunken M60 Masters/ADK Cremona 251>MixPre6
Now You Don't    Naiant XX or MS-TFB-2-MKII>SP-SB10>Roland R05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2021, 10:55:09 AM »
Yeah the cables on the earlier version were beige and very thin/lightweight, like the cables on cheap in-ear headphones.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline BonoBeats

• Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2021, 08:42:58 PM »
Yeah the cables on the earlier version were beige and very thin/lightweight, like the cables on cheap in-ear headphones.

Just arrived.

These are similarly thin, compared to my Naiant XX. Surprisingly so; I have durability concerns, especially given their price.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 08:48:52 PM by BonoBeats »

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2021, 10:05:06 PM »

Verrrry thin, and ribbed for your pleasure..
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline BonoBeats

• Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2021, 10:13:16 PM »

It feels just like I'm wearing nothing at all!!!!

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2021, 10:15:13 PM »

It feels just like I'm wearing nothing at all!!!!

:spin: :zombie03: :lol: niiiiice
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2021, 11:33:22 AM »

Just arrived.

These are similarly thin, compared to my Naiant XX. Surprisingly so; I have durability concerns, especially given their price.

Will these handle louder shows ok? I have an older set of the standard binaural mics from Sound Professionals and have been at risk of overloading them. The higher sensitivity of these concern me, but it also says it handles louder sound pressure levels.

Offline jimjazzdad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2022, 08:31:14 AM »
I am considering getting some binaural mics for use with my Tascam DR70D. The soundprofessionals MS-TFB-2 MkII version looks very good on paper, with just 19 dB of self noise - really about as good as it gets for such small omni capsules. And they seem to have upped their game with regard to cable (apparently an issue with the MkI), offering two Mogami options. I am thinking using the cable terminating with double XLRs is the preferred option, as the mics would be powered by 48V phantom rather than the lower voltage from the powered 1/8" 'camera jack'. Any advice or opinions from the collective wisdom here?

Offline jimjazzdad

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2022, 09:15:01 AM »
Bump.
No one here have any experience with or opinions on soundprofessionals mics?

I am considering getting some binaural mics for use with my Tascam DR70D. The soundprofessionals MS-TFB-2 MkII version looks very good on paper, with just 19 dB of self noise - really about as good as it gets for such small omni capsules. And they seem to have upped their game with regard to cable (apparently an issue with the MkI), offering two Mogami options. I am thinking using the cable terminating with double XLRs is the preferred option, as the mics would be powered by 48V phantom rather than the lower voltage from the powered 1/8" 'camera jack'. Any advice or opinions from the collective wisdom here?

Offline BonoBeats

• Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2022, 10:28:49 AM »

Just arrived.

Will these handle louder shows ok? I have an older set of the standard binaural mics from Sound Professionals and have been at risk of overloading them. The higher sensitivity of these concern me, but it also says it handles louder sound pressure levels.

I ran them FOB Dick's with no issues. That's probably not the best scenario for these mics- with the big stacks, the only (or "best") example of sound localization is the crowd noise, moreso than the music. They'd excel better either on stage/stage lip, or for unamplified music, IMO.

Offline prepschoolalumniblues

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Scents and subtle sounds
    • Phish.net Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2022, 05:29:54 PM »

Just arrived.

I ran them FOB Dick's with no issues. That's probably not the best scenario for these mics- with the big stacks, the only (or "best") example of sound localization is the crowd noise, moreso than the music. They'd excel better either on stage/stage lip, or for unamplified music, IMO.

If you’re able to share the recording, I’d love to hear it!!

My first mics were the Sound Professionals Ear-Hook Binaurals (MS-EHB-2-PREM). They sounded fantastic for unamplified music but got overloaded for anything amplified. I liked the ear-hook format because it allowed me to still wear earplugs and they were, surprisingly, pretty secure.

I think that because I started out with binaural recording that approach still feels like the best to me — I really love the feeling of being enveloped in the concert space, and I like some crowd noise because that adds to the verisimilitude. I also primarily listen to music on headphones, so that colors my feelings.
Oktava MK-012 > Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Plus Mod)
AT853 > Marantz PMD620MKII (Oade Concert Mod)

Offline BonoBeats

• Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2022, 10:26:10 PM »

Just arrived.

If you’re able to share the recording, I’d love to hear it!!

My first mics were the Sound Professionals Ear-Hook Binaurals (MS-EHB-2-PREM). They sounded fantastic for unamplified music but got overloaded for anything amplified. I liked the ear-hook format because it allowed me to still wear earplugs and they were, surprisingly, pretty secure.

I think that because I started out with binaural recording that approach still feels like the best to me — I really love the feeling of being enveloped in the concert space, and I like some crowd noise because that adds to the verisimilitude. I also primarily listen to music on headphones, so that colors my feelings.

Here's a sample:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YGSnC0XI9-A6a7HNlpu62PedAU29JKgQ/view?usp=sharing

There's a bit of EQ on these, mostly low end roll off and a high end shelf (+4.5 around 5kHz up; maybe a bit excessive, upon relisten) to compensate for distance. I could have done more, but didn't want to get too far from the original sound.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 11:51:16 AM by BonoBeats »

Offline jimjazzdad

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2022, 08:55:32 AM »
Here's a sample:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YGSnC0XI9-A6a7HNlpu62PedAU29JKgQ/view?usp=sharing

There's a bit of EQ on these, mostly low end roll off and a high end shelf (+4.5 around 5kHz up) to compensate for distance. I could have done more, but didn't want to get too far from the original sound.

Thanks for posting that. I'm hoping the MS-TFB-2 MkII will be similar and suitable for more acoustic performances - mostly jazz and classical.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com