Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Just got my 722....  (Read 10188 times)

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Just got my 722....
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:55:21 AM »
....and damn am I a lazy bastard.  I've thumbed through the manual, but thought I throw a post out here asking how people like to run theirs.

I'll be using it as a mic pre and also behind my V2, as well as conversion of DAT tapes (can I do DAT>FLAC??).  Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thank you!!

Josh
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Just got my 722....
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 07:50:27 PM »
Unless you are plugged in run DAT > WAV.  The FLAC processing chews up a lot of CPU.  And what's the point anyway?  You can always FLAC it on your computer after you have recorded the DAT's onto the 722.  A 722 has a lot of space on the built-in HD.

You will be running line in for this, you know. 

I do not know why you would use it as a pre to feed another machine.  The 722 is a pretty good recorder.  Feeding it with another pre is OK, but the pre's in the 722 are good as are the converters.  It is a good all-in-oner package.  The best possible recorder?  No.  Excellent?  Yes.

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 07:53:03 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Just Taper Mark from NC

• when the bass kicks..all I need is a mic and a stage and mix.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:46:32 PM »
got my new one at the end of last month and have already had to send it in for warranty
repair.read through the manual and took it with me to hampton and asked bean and others
a TON of questions before and had still had some minor issues,things you have to learn the
hard way I guess but still.

it is a nice unit though.haven't had the oppotunity to run the v3 in front of it yet but after
toting such a light bag around hampton I doubt I ever will.  :)
Positive vibration man.That's what makes it work.That's reggae music.You can't look away because it is real.You listen to what I sing because I mean what I sing,there's no secret,no big deal.,Just honesty,that's all."-Hon. Robert Nesta Marley 1977

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:20:42 PM »
got my new one at the end of last month and have already had to send it in for warranty
repair.read through the manual and took it with me to hampton and asked bean and others
a TON of questions before and had still had some minor issues,things you have to learn the
hard way I guess but still.

it is a nice unit though.haven't had the oppotunity to run the v3 in front of it yet but after
toting such a light bag around hampton I doubt I ever will.  :)
what repair?
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

• Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 09:51:16 PM »
2 LED's burned out on the 1st night out  ::)

unit works great otherwise.the main issue I had was the 2gig limit
before it seperates the tracks  :P it wouldn't be an issue cause people
have told me what to do to fix it but my windows vista doesn't like the
wavelab 5.0 apparently so I need to figure out another path to use.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 09:54:09 PM by Captain Awesome »
Positive vibration man.That's what makes it work.That's reggae music.You can't look away because it is real.You listen to what I sing because I mean what I sing,there's no secret,no big deal.,Just honesty,that's all."-Hon. Robert Nesta Marley 1977

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 10:50:20 PM »
gotcha. it's crazy how many people have had LEDs go bad early. could be worse.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline RobertNC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 08:15:13 PM »
OK this is the basic setup info I sent a buddy when he first got his.  I've only run mic in - for a pre you'll have to do more work.  Hopefully other people will correct any errors and/or improve my information.

Battery:  You need to get one right away.  The stock is way too small.

Sony NP-F970 are factory recommended. I have one but just got an Impact and it is better, and for the same price.  Avoid the cheaper knockoffs.  Shit, a show now costs $50 bucks, you don't wanna run outta juice from skimping on a battery.

I've had good luck with these, but a buddy has had less good results.  Check out 722 battery thread in the remote power thread for more info.

Impact NPF-F975:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/465330-REG/Impact_NPF975_NP_F975_Lithium_Ion_Battery.html

When you get it, plug in your mics to have phantom, hit record and let it run all night until it dies - one time.  This will "reset" the battery if it has been sitting on a shelf for a while.  After that it should charge to full and give you a solid 7 hours plus at 24/96 with the front panel light mostly off.

Basic 722 setup:

I skip the options that are either not important to begin with or that you can explore on your own to find a preference.

1)  Sample rate:  This is a personal call.  Higher sampling rates record more information because you sample more times per second.

Anything above 96KHz is just overkill. The files will be huge and the battery burn hard.

I run 96KHz, this is probably a standard for most 722 users that tape "evening shows".  People that tape a lot of festies may run at 48 to conserve battery and file space.

I suggest 96KHz.

2)  Bit Depth - definitely 24 bit.  24 bit is the way to go because it gives you higher resolution, and you can record more information at much lower volumes.  To get the same amount of detail running in 16 bit you have to run much hotter. Hot is not the sweet spot for a 722 direct mic in.

3)  File Type:  wav.poly.  No decision, you don't want to record mono.

4)  Media select: Up to you.  I run INHDD only.  Some people run CF only.  The advantage is less power drain running CF.  Not much point in recording to both CF and INHDD unless you have a lot of mileage and feel like the hard drive needs replacing soon, in which case CF gives you a backup if Harddrive fails.  Recording to both uses more juice.  For a new deck pick one or the other but not both.  But ... If you are gonna run 24/96 smaller CF cards don't cut it - files are too big.  If Phil runs a really long set you could possibly fill up a 4 gig card before the end.  I recorded a Warren show last week and his second set was over 4 gigs.

5)  Pre-roll time. Set to as high as it goes.  This is the number of seconds you get buffered before you press record.  If you set 5 seconds, as long as the unit is on you can be caught off guard, and you have 5 seconds to hit record before you lose anything.  Mule cranks up by surprise and you fumble for the REC button for less than 5 seconds, the deck already has the first 5 seconds recorded for you.

6) Record Dither:  Off

7)  Error Handler- always set to Keep recording to new file.  This is an option that is useless for tapers.  People using these decks for non-concert taping may want to stop and restart. But there are no do-overs in show recording.  If an error occurs starting a new file may or may not reset the error, but it is the only logical thing to do.  Setting it to stop means you lose recording time always.  I've seen my 722 restart a new file after recording to one for only a few seconds.  The joined files had no loss, so I don't know if this is an error or not, but I've seen it happen, and would have been bummed if it had in fact just stopped.

8)  Routing: 1-> A 2->B.  This is one mic to one channel, second mic to second channel.

9)  Inputs 1 and 2 Phantom Power:  Set to each to mic on for mic in.  As long as you are running mic in to the XLRs, you don't need phantom power to any line in.    Also read the manual for how the XLRs work.  For mic in phantom power the little switch above each should be far left.

10)  Mic Input Limiters:  Disabled.  If you ever actually hit it, you are just running this box wrong.  722 mic in should be run cool.  You should never run this box hot enough to have the limiter kick in, and if it does kick in it sounds like ass. (New note:  I've read that newer firmware fixes problems people used to report about the limiters sounding like ass.  Personally I have never needed them.)

11) Low Cut and Frequency:  This is a topic in itself.  I used to never use it, then I tried the 40/12, and love it.  Probably want to start not using it a few times, read about it and you may want to try it and see for yourself.

12) Mic Input Gain Range - I always run Low and that is best for for rock and roll shows.  Even bluegrass I run low, and maybe boost the gain more.  Unless you are recording unamplified acoustic, Low almost always gives you plenty of signal.  I've never needed normal.  Again, always, soft is the sweet spot for the 722 pre amps.

13) Input 1, 2 Source Select:  Auto select.  If you ever have a board patch or something besides Mic in you have to do different stuff.  See the manual.

14)  Input 1,2 Linking:  Start with unlinked. This means the left gain controls Left and Right controls right.  Logical for the new user.  Linked turns it into a "stereo".  Top knob becomes volume, bottom knob becomes L/R balance.  The result is the same.  Some people swear by it. I've never liked the idea.  You can try it once you are comfortable with the deck.  Never use M/S linked - if you ever decide to run M/S you'll have to learn about it and then you'll understand why you never want to use this.

15)  Line Input 1,2 Gain Controls - Knobs of course.  Can't understand why anyone would want to use buttons.

16)  File Max Size - this is important.  File splits are seamless, and happen automatically.  I think most people use 2 gig.  4 gigs does not offer a real advantage, and some older audio software cannot handle a 4 gig file.  Also a FAT32 file system will have problems with files this size.  My old version of CEP for example cannot load a 4 gig file.  I personally use 1 gig because I do a lot of my processing on an older laptop, and even though CEP can handle a 2 gig file it is really slow because of memory use.  That is a lot of extra work though.  The Mule show at 24/96 was 7 files, about 6 gig total.  If you have a good computer 2 gig files are less work.

17)  Meter ballistics - your choice.  I use Peak Hold + VU.

That is the basic setup.  The rest of the stuff is either stuff you probably will not use or file system settings.

As far as gain goes.

Ask people who run a 722 mic in and like it and they will probably tell you about the same thing.  For 24 bit, meters hitting the first red occasionally and second red lighting up only a little or not at all is ideal.  If you are hitting the second red a lot you may want to back it down a little.  Just add gain in post to bring up the final volume.

People that think the 722 pres suck probably have either never run one or just could not wrap their head around the concept of doing something other than running hot as balls.

That will get you started for mic in..     

Sweet deck.  Welcome to the team.  I've had mine a couple of years now, no LEDs burned out ;-) and it has always performed flawlessly.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 08:17:39 PM by RobertNC »
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 09:34:05 PM »
Awesome tutorial Robert ;) 8)

+T :P ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline JackHenry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 02:00:37 AM »
One other thing that is useful for the meters is to set menu item #55 - Meter: Peak Threshold. This sets a value for dB Full Scale. I have mine set to -8 which leaves a bit of headroom.

In the latest firmware (version 2.61)
ALSO menu item #53 - LCD: Gain Display. This allows you to display the gain setting permanently. Previously, the gain only displayed while adjusting it. The display then reverted back to bit depth and sample rate (which is a useless bit of info if you know what you've set it at) You can also set it to cycle through bit depth and gain setting.

John

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 02:12:19 AM »
One other thing that is useful for the meters is to set menu item #55 - Meter: Peak Threshold. This sets a value for dB Full Scale. I have mine set to -8 which leaves a bit of headroom.

In the latest firmware (version 2.61)
ALSO menu item #53 - LCD: Gain Display. This allows you to display the gain setting permanently. Previously, the gain only displayed while adjusting it. The display then reverted back to bit depth and sample rate (which is a useless bit of info if you know what you've set it at) You can also set it to cycle through bit depth and gain setting.

John

I have my Peak Threshold set to -3db ;) Smart piece of useful info if you ask me ;) BUT, I NEVER run my gain that high tho, so its useless for me in all reality.

Noticed the new gain setting today. I had it permanently set to gain for awhile while playinga round w/ it today, but would rather it show BD/SR IMO. I could CARE LESS how much gain I'm adding, just where I'm peaking at ;) 8)

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 10:12:02 AM »
Quite good advice given so far. Will only add one more tidbit of experience + one opinion.

The small black mic/line/aes switches are a bit too easy to slide to the wrong position. Always check them every time. Also do learn the shortcut for Phantom on / off. (Tilde + Menu / HDD). The shortcuts are good to learn, especially since they can be hit by mistake.

Now for opinions: after extensive testing I have decided on running at 44.1kHz. The difference in sound when compared to 96 is tiny, sort of like moving the mics a foot or so in the room. Yes, the AD in the box is that good. Save a lot of disc space.

Suggestion for software: on windows, I cannot say enough good things for Samplitude. There are a few different "sizes" around, probably Samplitude Master is the closest to what you would use.

// Gunnar

Offline sparkey

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 11:33:43 AM »

Thank you so much for all the great information!

So the Peak Threshold setting is essentially a setting for a gain ceiling?

Josh

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 12:18:37 PM »
The Meter: Peak Threshold isn't a ceiling for gain, like a limiter (i.e. it doesn't prevent levels from going any higher), it's just an easy visual indicator that you've reached a certain threshold in dBFS level.

So, let's say I want to make certain I'm aware of when my signal hits -6 dBFS.  If memory serves, there isn't a -6 dBFS light, just -12, -8, -4, peak (0 dBFS by default).  If you set the Peak Threshold to -6 dBFS, instead of lighting at 0 dBFS, the peak (furthest right) light will trigger at -6 dBFS.  It's just an easier visual indicator that you've hit -6 dBFS than reading / counting the meters (which meter peaked...3rd from the right?  4th?  maybe 2nd or 5th?  Nope, THE peak meter lit up, which is easy to notice.)

Some of the shortcut keys make for easy setup.  As ghellquist indicated, Tilde + Menu / HDD = Phantom ON/OFF.  But remember, Input + Menu / HDD = MUTE!

I'll also agree with ghellquist on the Samplitude recommendation.  I love SAM SE v09.  :D  Excellent object oriented, non-destructive workflow, and sounds great.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 02:23:42 PM »
Regarding .Flac, I use it all the time.  It uses a lot less space, when needed during festival season.
we all live downstream.

Offline JackHenry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 06:02:38 PM »
In relation to shortcut keys. Menu item #82 Info: Button Shortcuts gives you a list of them all.

Offline boojum

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 06:30:57 PM »
I am with Gunnar on sampling rate.  After the files are edited down to 44.1 I doubt very much that it is possible to determine which was recorded at a sampling rate some multiple of 44.1 and actually at 44.1.  I am talking a ABX test, not an "I sure can hear the difference" when you know which file is which.  It also saves the errors from resampling.  I have read that serious professionals claim to be able to hear differences when played back at the original sampling rate, but almost all of them, if not all, agree that after re-sampling down to 44.1 they can no longer hear the difference.  But, after all, what could they know?

Having said that, I am going to just record at 44.1 for now on.  It saves the battery for those long sessions.  And as SD points out themselves, who needs the higher sampling rates just to encode a few octaves of silence?  This is what the manufacturer asks.  As usual, YMMV       8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline RobertNC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 10:05:27 PM »
I use 96 for no real reason.  If there is an audible difference, I certainly don't currently have a home system that would reveal it, although I'd like to change that.

I don't know.  Posterity maybe? 

Storage is cheap these days, and the biggest gig I do is the Christmas Jam, which I can easily manage in  terms of juice and hard drive.

Smaller files are certainly easier and quicker to work with.
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 11:34:49 PM »
I have been running at 24/44.1k for about 9 months now AGAIN, and MUCH PREFER it to 48kHz or any higher SR's ;) I did run 24/48kHz for all 3 nites of Phish, but ONLY did that in case I BT'd the 24bit stuff it is easier to burn DVD-A's w/, compared to DVD-V's, which can be ANY SR ;)

I LOVE just adding gain/saving/dithering, and cutting out resampling altogether :) I know it only takes about 5-10 mins per 2hr or so set to resample to 44.1kHz, but I still LOVE justa dding gain/saving/dithering :)

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 12:17:42 PM »
A couple questions: How much space does an hour of stereo wave take up at 24 bit/192KHZ?  Can 192K wavs be converted to FLAC?  And, what's the biggest CF card one can get these days? 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 12:22:21 PM »
A couple questions: How much space does an hour of stereo wave take up at 24 bit/192KHZ?  Can 192K wavs be converted to FLAC?  And, what's the biggest CF card one can get these days?

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,199.0.html
http://flac.sourceforge.net/faq.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010070068%201053107923&name=Compact%20Flash%20(CF)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 12:52:49 PM »
are the LED's fixed for free?

i have an LED that never worked.  The first time I ever powered it up, it was dead

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 12:57:51 PM »
I did run 24/48kHz for all 3 nites of Phish, but ONLY did that in case I BT'd the 24bit stuff it is easier to burn DVD-A's w/, compared to DVD-V's, which can be ANY SR ;)

just to clarify, DVD-Audio discs (DVD-A) can be burned with just about any sample rate (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192), while the DVD-Video format (DVD-V) specifies that PCM data must be either 48kHz or 96kHz.

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 03:11:39 PM »

1 hour of 2 channel 24/192 = 4GB

Pretec makes 64GB and 100GB cards, although I've never seen the 100GB for sale.  Here is the 64GB card:

http://www.ptiglobalusa.com/pr64gbcfca23.html

More common and less expensive are the 32GB cards, which can be had for about $60 for a Kingston 32GB card.  I would not use the low cost Kingston 32GB to record 24/192 however.  For that matter, I would not record 24/192 at all, unless I was doing bat research.

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 03:21:35 PM »
are the LED's fixed for free?

i have an LED that never worked.  The first time I ever powered it up, it was dead

Sure, they're fixed for free; if the box is still under warranty.  Otherwise, expect to pay a lot.  There was a thread about the cost of Sound Devices factory service a while back (which I'm too lazy to find the link) and if I remember the number was about $200/hour.

• Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 09:13:35 PM »
well I only had my 722 for 11 days and finally took it out of the house to go do phish in hampton
and sometime between the 1st night and 2nd I had 2 LED's go out as stated earlier in the thread.  >:(
after quite a few phone calls and being put off for a over a week to get an RA# and call tag to send
it in for warranty repair it has been determined that my unit needs replaced.  :o

I got word this afternoon that the box has"a few major issues"and they are going to send me a new
one.this wouldn't be so bad excpet for the fact that all my hampton files are still on my box in raw
form and they don't know if I will be able to get those back from them or not.

I got to tell you I'm REAL close to pulling my p1 out of the closet and telling them to give me a refund.

and it's $125hr for those wondering about labor.

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 01:27:50 AM »
$125 an hour sounds about right to me for an electronic tech to do bench work.

Most mom and pop auto garages around me are getting near that. Hell, I went into a vacuum cleaner repair store today to get some belts and the posted labor rate was $80 an hour.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:29:46 AM by JD »
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 09:25:14 AM »
this wouldn't be so bad excpet for the fact that all my hampton files are still on my box in raw form and they don't know if I will be able to get those back from them or not.

You did copy them to your computer before sending it back for service, didn't you?

• Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 07:12:19 PM »
have 3/7 and 3/8 but not the 1st night  :(

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 03:48:18 PM »

BUMMER :(

Offline boojum

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 11:53:12 PM »
For The Record: never, ever send a recorder anywhere before you copy off ALL the files, even the ones you do not want.  There is no guarantee you will ever see those files on the recorder again.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 10:33:59 PM »
For The Record: never, ever send a recorder anywhere before you copy off ALL the files, even the ones you do not want.  There is no guarantee you will ever see those files on the recorder again.

So true Mark :'( I'm bummed to hear that, because I wanted to hear your 3/6 to comp to mine.

BTW Mark, where is a link to your 3/8 150>722 recording ??? I only have yours (and about 10 other sources just to comp when I have a bunch of free time one day) of your 3/7 source and the 10 other sources I have for 3/7/09 8)

Offline NicStage

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sound Devices, LLC Support
    • Sound Devices
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2009, 02:31:55 PM »
I believe I backed those files up before your old recorder was formatted and sent them in the mail to you. The reason you weren't aware of that until now is that I had an incorrect email address for you. You should see the files sometime this week. :)

To clarify Sound Devices repair process a little, the service labor rates are as follows:

7-series recorders, 442 and 442N mixers: $235 / unit.
302 mixer: $115 / unit
MixPre, MM-1, MP-1, HX-3, USBPre: $75 / unit

These rates are flat rates and do not include parts. We do not charge by the hour at all. These rates apply only to out-of-warranty units (All new units come with a 1 year warranty). Repairs performed within the 1 year warranty period are free-of-charge. All repairs are warrantied for a year after the date of repair; Meaning that if the unit comes in for repair and it is determined that the failure was due to components / systems repaired by us in the last year, the current repair is free-of-charge.

All units that come in for repair are inspected in detail before, during, and after going to the repair technicians. If the reported problem can't be duplicated, we contact the customer to ensure that we have all the pieces of the puzzle and that we're doing everything we can to address the issue. We also do preventative maintenance and address any issue that we find that weren't reported. As well, we perform free-of-charge production hardware updates to older units that require them to bring the unit up to current production standards. Before leaving the factory all repaired units must pass the same exact bench test that new units do coming off the line.

One caveat: The terms above apply only to repairs done here at our factory in the United States. Terms and rates for repairs done at authorized international partners are determined by those partners (Although the 1 year warranty period still applies).

Nic Stage
Sound Devices Support
nic_stage[ReplaceWithAt]sounddevices.com
1-800-505-0625

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 02:34:10 PM by NicStage »
Sound Devices, LLC Support

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2009, 08:06:02 PM »
I believe I backed those files up before your old recorder was formatted and sent them in the mail to you. The reason you weren't aware of that until now is that I had an incorrect email address for you. You should see the files sometime this week. :)

To clarify Sound Devices repair process a little, the service labor rates are as follows:

7-series recorders, 442 and 442N mixers: $235 / unit.
302 mixer: $115 / unit
MixPre, MM-1, MP-1, HX-3, USBPre: $75 / unit

These rates are flat rates and do not include parts. We do not charge by the hour at all. These rates apply only to out-of-warranty units (All new units come with a 1 year warranty). Repairs performed within the 1 year warranty period are free-of-charge. All repairs are warrantied for a year after the date of repair; Meaning that if the unit comes in for repair and it is determined that the failure was due to components / systems repaired by us in the last year, the current repair is free-of-charge.

All units that come in for repair are inspected in detail before, during, and after going to the repair technicians. If the reported problem can't be duplicated, we contact the customer to ensure that we have all the pieces of the puzzle and that we're doing everything we can to address the issue. We also do preventative maintenance and address any issue that we find that weren't reported. As well, we perform free-of-charge production hardware updates to older units that require them to bring the unit up to current production standards. Before leaving the factory all repaired units must pass the same exact bench test that new units do coming off the line.

One caveat: The terms above apply only to repairs done here at our factory in the United States. Terms and rates for repairs done at authorized international partners are determined by those partners (Although the 1 year warranty period still applies).

Nic Stage
Sound Devices Support
nic_stage[ReplaceWithAt]sounddevices.com
1-800-505-0625

Sound Devices... +T for the great customer service.

• Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 09:10:21 PM »
thanks for coming and posting here nic,no worries about the email thing it seems
to happen a lot in these situations so I'm use to it.  :) MAJOR thanks for backing
those files up and getting them to me,I really wasn't expecting it but then again
I thought I'd be getting that same unit back but thats just my luck and like I said
in the last email this whole DAT>HDD switch has really been trial and error for me
but mostly error.  :yack:

I'd be interested to know exactly what was wrong with it if you don't mind emailing
me again,mojan didn't really induldge me with the details.thanks again!!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 12:59:47 AM »
thanks for coming and posting here nic,no worries about the email thing it seems
to happen a lot in these situations so I'm use to it.  :) MAJOR thanks for backing
those files up and getting them to me,I really wasn't expecting it but then again
I thought I'd be getting that same unit back but thats just my luck and like I said
in the last email this whole DAT>HDD switch has really been trial and error for me
but mostly error.  :yack:

I'd be interested to know exactly what was wrong with it if you don't mind emailing
me again,mojan didn't really induldge me with the details.thanks again!!

I too am a DIEHARD SS customer, and bought my 481's and DMIC20 and Audio Magic cables back in 1999, and then my V3, and then my 722 from them ;D 8)

Like an idiot, as soon as I got my 722 I put the stock 4600mah battery on the 722 and didnt know you had to depress the battery pin/s to get the battery free, so I RIPPED THE 4600mah battery in half, and then called Mojan and she told me to depress the battery sled button, and I did. BUT, Mojan felt bad for me and sent me a BRAND NEW 4600mah 722 battery FREE OF CHARGE, after fully knowing that my dumbass broke the first one ;) ;D 8) :spin:

• Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 09:34:34 PM »
well ups sucks balls,at least when they have a fill in driver.  >:(  my 722 was
delivered a half mile away at the electrolux vacuum shop then carried next door
to the CURVES and has been sitting for better than a week.

all is well now I suppose.even got my files.  :)

• Dodgertown 90090
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 09:46:09 PM »
so #55 in the menu-meter:peak threshold where are you guys setting this(bean  :P )?
-4dbfs -6dbfs  ??? I got no intentions of "adding gain in post" I run that shits warm  ;D

Offline sparkey

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2009, 12:00:17 PM »
well ups sucks balls,at least when they have a fill in driver. 

No, UPS just sucks balls.  It ain't pronounced OOPS for nuthin'.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 04:46:48 PM »
so #55 in the menu-meter:peak threshold where are you guys setting this(bean  :P )?
-4dbfs -6dbfs  ??? I got no intentions of "adding gain in post" I run that shits warm  ;D

I have mine set to -3db ;) But I'm telling you, don't clip the 7xx too bad. On OLDER firmware versions, if you clipped the 7xx, it would have a NASTY noise. At least thats what Ive been told. BUT, that issue has been fixed for awhile now. I would STILL run levels peaking at around -6db and add the +6db of gain in post :P ;)

Offline sparkey

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2009, 12:04:28 PM »

On that note, how much space does an hour of stereo wav take up at 24/44.1KHZ?

Josh

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2009, 12:22:36 PM »

On that note, how much space does an hour of stereo wav take up at 24/44.1KHZ?

Josh

Biggest CF card I know of is 32 GB.

24/96 is about 2GB for an hour of stereo - so 24/192 would be about 4GB
24/44.1 would be about 1GB

From the Nagra VI manual:-
A 4GB CF card will give (in stereo):-

6h 17m @ 16/44.1
5h 47m @ 16/48
2h 53m @ 16/96

4h 11m @ 24/44.1
3h 51m @ 24/48
1h 55m @ 24/96

Offline JackHenry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2009, 03:03:10 AM »
Sound Devices have a nice web based calculator here

http://www.sounddevices.com/calculator/index.html

Or do it manually like this (also from the SD website)

In the example below the data rate of a single 16-bit/48 kHz audio stream is computed in megabytes per minute. Division by 1,048,576 converts from bits to megabits. Division by 8 converts from megabits to megabytes; multiply by 60 converts seconds to minutes.

( ( ( 16 x 48000 ) / 1,048,576 ) / 8 ) x 60 = 5.49 MgB/min
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:05:53 AM by JackHenry »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 67 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com